Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference Pollack will make
(04-05-2021, 08:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pollack left on his own accord, both the FO and Taylor wanted him to stay from what I recall.

I believe you.  Somehow, I had just always understood that Pollack moved on, due to lack of interest from the team or new coach wanting him to remain.  Glad that one is cleared up, and hope that he's happy to be here now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 08:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: That may hold some merit. I thought I recalled Zac wanting him to stay, but my memory ain't what it once was.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that if Zac wanted him to stay, he would leave, only to come back 2 years later after the Bengals have been really, really bad those 2 years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 09:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It just doesn't make any sense to me that if Zac wanted him to stay, he would leave, only to come back 2 years later after the Bengals have been really, really bad those 2 years. 

It could be...but Pollack left before it was officially announced if I remember correctly. It seems he also got more money in NY. Your scenario may very well be true, or it may be that he just wasn't sure he'd be retained and decided to take the sure gig. I really don't know for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 09:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It just doesn't make any sense to me that if Zac wanted him to stay, he would leave, only to come back 2 years later after the Bengals have been really, really bad those 2 years. 

He lost his job with Jets, after having a few bad years in a row, not alot of suitors.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:01 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You still just don't get how anything works. 

The problem is I do and that really frustrates those that I expose..?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 12:55 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem is I do and that really frustrates those that I expose..?

...and you're delusional. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
He will make a huge difference. Guys already bought in. With Mixon and others hype about it the OL will be excited to get this thing going
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: It could be...but Pollack left before it was officially announced if I remember correctly. It seems he also got more money in NY. Your scenario may very well be true, or it may be that he just wasn't sure he'd be retained and decided to take the sure gig. I really don't know for sure.

Naw, Zac Taylor is so bad he was letting coaches go even before he got here...... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:06 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I always heard that elite QBs could elevate the playmaker around him. If that's the case and you don't need a elite supporting cast then build up the OL to allow plays to develop and protect that elite QB. Unless people have been talking out of their ass since 2011

Elite QB's can elevate those around them (just look at Higgin's 1st year), but they cannot make a Wide Receiver faster. We lack speed at WR. That's a given. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: If you look at the game logs for last season you see something interesting - once we had a consistent lineup on the OL and especially once XSF and Spain were at Guard a lot of the pass protection problems abruptly ceased. In fact, over the last 4 games (where they had a stable lineup and XSF/Spain) they surrendered only 2 sacks and 11 pressures.

Now don’t take this as me saying the OL is fine and needs no more help. Yes I am very happy to have Pollack especially instead of Turner and Reiff is a MAJOR upgrade at RT. And yes (and stats prove it) Spain and XSF are both good, sound Guards. But the cupboard behind them is bare and Center is unsettled. Plus this draft is a deep one at OL and the talent in that depth is high - so we need to take advantage of that. And now that Turner is gone I don’t feel like drafting linemen is a waste (because I had no faith that Turner would or could develop them).

So, I am fine taking Chase (and see the benefit in terms of making the passing game stronger) and likewise fine with Sewell. The main difference is the draft depth at WR is not there this season - after the top 2-3 you get receivers with real gaps in their game. Thus there is more sense in Chase on that count so long as IF we go Chase THEN we go OL in 2 and 3. Restock the cupboard so to speak.

Dead on.  Although I believe there is still quality depth at WR after the top 2-3, I don't see anyone that comes in and makes The Bengals look and sound as scary as Chase, Higgins, and Boyd at WR.  They will likely be adding another WR to work on KR/PR and compete with Auden Tate for rotational snaps.  But I sure like what Chase does to this offense.  
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the coaches meetings are as heated as this board is with different factions advocating for the 4 options we have (3 prospects we've been "discussing", along with trading down)? I'd like to be a fly on that wall, lol
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Elite QB's can elevate those around them (just look at Higgin's 1st year), 

Actually it was some of Higgins impressive sideline catches that bailed out Burrow.

Sound familiar?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I believe you.  Somehow, I had just always understood that Pollack moved on, due to lack of interest from the team or new coach wanting him to remain.  Glad that one is cleared up, and hope that he's happy to be here now.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-The-difference-Pollack-will-make?pid=1011374#pid1011374
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the protection did not get that much better.  Instead our QBs were either throwing the ball away or not throwing it over 5 yards downfield.

If our QBs did not have any protection problems they would be getting a hell of a lot more than just 6 or 7 total completions for an entire game.

Or perhaps that showed the limited vision and inability of the WRs to generate a lot of separation against the best quality defenses (pitt and balt)?  Helps make the argument for Chase....Plus Higgins went down early in that last Balt game with a penalty negating his lone (nice) reception that would have given him the rookie record from Collinsworth.  
Reply/Quote

Is it possible Katie and Troy opened the pocketbook a little deeper and gave him more $$$ to come back to Cincinnati?  I mean the Jets and Bengals OL are both pretty much train wrecks.   Katie/Troy/Duke all know the last time Pollack was here his OL was average, not good, not great but average enough not to get the QB killed.   

I was just always under the belief that Zac wanted his own people on his staff when he came into town.  He wanted to set a culture of his own and that meant his own staff.  He didn't keep anyone i don't believe except Bicknell and he's gone now.  So i think if Pollack hadn't came back we'd be rid of all the staff from Marvin Lewis' team.   
Reply/Quote
I like the Jim Mora take on Frank Pollack.

Quote:"Frank's awesome. When I was coaching the 49ers he played for us. I've known Frank for a long time. He's going to do a great job," Jim Mora Jr. said in a sit down with AllBengals. "He coaches from the perspective of the player. He played the position. He played at a high level. He understands how to coach the player from a player's perspective. I think he's a great addition."

Quote:"If you're dysfunctional on the offensive line, that's a reflection of coaching in my opinion. That group should be able to function if you've got adequate players," Mora said. "You can get five guys if they work together well, if they communicate well, if they're fundamentally sound. They don't have to be the best players in the NFL to give your quarterback the time, to open up some holes. It's all about outsmarting people. Not making mistakes, not making mental errors, staying in position, being fundamentally sound, helping each other, communicating."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/jim-mora-jr-frank-pollack-stamp-of-approval
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Tobin made it pretty clear today that they plan to go BPA in Round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 11:35 AM)Synric Wrote: I like the Jim Mora take on Frank Pollack.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/jim-mora-jr-frank-pollack-stamp-of-approval

Good stuff.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Elite QB's can elevate those around them (just look at Higgin's 1st year)

How do we know Higgins was "elevated" by Joe Burrow?  He was a high 2nd round pick with loads of talent coming out of the draft. 

How do we know he doesn't put up even bigger numbers with QB's who were actually elite last year (Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, etc.)?

How do we know he doesn't put up comperable numbers with middle of the road QB's (Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Ryan Tannenhill, etc.)?

The answer is that we don't know any of those these things, and it's silly to think that Joe Burrow elevated Tee Higgins to another level that most QB's would not have. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 01:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How do we know Higgins was "elevated" by Joe Burrow?  He was a high 2nd round pick with loads of talent coming out of the draft. 

How do we know he doesn't put up even bigger numbers with QB's who were actually elite last year (Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, etc.)?

How do we know he doesn't put up comperable numbers with middle of the road QB's (Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Ryan Tannenhill, etc.)?

The answer is that we don't know any of those these things, and it's silly to think that Joe Burrow elevated Tee Higgins to another level that most QB's would not have. 

Yeah, Tee isn’t the type of WR I’d consider needing to be “elevated.” He was really good in college, too (although he had another great QB in Lawrence).

Now if Burrow starts making scrubs like Mike Thomas or Stanley Morgan look good...

Reply/Quote