Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference Pollack will make
(04-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let me preface this by saying I absolutely do not expect Pollack to come back here and perform miracles. He’s not going to turn guys like Spain and XSF into Pro Bowlers, but I think some are forgetting just how good of a coach he is (especially compared to what we had the last couple years). Saw this thread by Joe Goodberry and there’s some interesting numbers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/1377750950518095876?prefetchtimestamp=1617485977261

Where Pollack was ranked when he was here in Cincinnati is particularly impressive considering what he was working with that year.

[Image: EAq3Cm9UIAIoE5n?format=jpg&name=large]

And now he’s obviously going to have guys like Jonah and Reiff.

I am in no way shape or form advocating putting all our hopes on just him and not adding any more pieces to the OL. I want at 1-2 from this draft. But I feel so much better going into this season with an actual NFL caliber OL coach (and run game coordinator).

Can you upload this for the last two years.. sorry you can;t ignore what happen to the Jets last two year and just skip over Pollack.. the Oline did not do well.. Over the last few years, when you factor in those two years he ranks average and given him very little improvement since end of season with our Line.. right now the season does not look well for our Oline.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hobson did a nice little write-up on Pollack, and what he plans to do with his guys this season. He basically says he’s going to teach them the stuff that Turner wasn’t...

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year

Reply/Quote
How Turner had 2-stints in.the NFL is truely befuddling
He has to be top 20 all.time worst position coaches in the NFL
Reply/Quote
I forget where we posted it but there is a breakdown of the OL performance and the massive drop under Turner.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: How Turner had 2-stints in.the NFL is truely befuddling

His drill sergeant schtick doesn't work well in the pros. If anyone is interested, Turner is now the OL coach at Texas State.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: How Turner had 2-stints in.the NFL is truely befuddling

And yet Zac hired him yo his staff. Shows what kind of judge in coaching talent Zac has.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hobson did a nice little write-up on Pollack, and what he plans to do with his guys this season. He basically says he’s going to teach them the stuff that Turner wasn’t...

https://www.bengals.com/news/ol-coach-pollack-s-blank-slate-irrelevant-what-you-did-last-year

Really love what Pollack said here. This is the way to build the OL up.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 02:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

The only guy on the OL that looked bad was Vogel going against a very deep DL. Color me more than impressed.

Love seeing our depth guys improve, this is what was needed the most on this team as I was concerned about our depth guys in 
case one of the starters went down with injury. Didn't see much of Fred which is probably a good thing.
Reply/Quote
Look at the improvement in Price with him FINALLY being coached on proper anchor technique.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The only guy on the OL that looked bad was Vogel going against a very deep DL. Color me more than impressed.

Love seeing our depth guys improve, this is what was needed the most on this team as I was concerned about our depth guys in 
case one of the starters went down with injury. Didn't see much of Fred which is probably a good thing.

He didn’t play. Must be banged up.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: Look at the improvement in Price with him FINALLY being coached on proper anchor technique.

Yeah, he was solid, even lean saying he played good.

Amazing.

(08-16-2021, 03:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He didn’t play. Must be banged up.

No wonder I didn't see him, hope he gets well soon if he is 40-50 percent of a better player than he was last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He didn’t play. Must be banged up.

He is, I think he is back for this Friday. He's a better tackle than guard. If Pollack can make him 40-50% better, he would be nice depth. (at tackle, he blows at guard)
Reply/Quote

Honestly, I don't think Turner should even be a High School line coach.    How he ever managed to land a coaching gig in college or the pros is really beyond me.  

Edit - just say the post that he is the OL coach at Texs State !?!?!. Holy crap. Don't know much about TT but can't say that I expect to see much from them this year. Wonder how long it will be before he is fired there.
Reply/Quote
I like Pollack. I was happy when he came here the first time and hated when he left. Turner was hot garbage. I was concerned to some extent that some of us were overstating the importance of Pollack. It's only 1 preseason game, but everyone is loving what he's doing and learning from him. Mixon was super excited to have him back.

I was happy with how Price and Jordan looked, a lot of other OLine were looking at least average as well. Smith was the standout on the OLine, in my opinion. Vogel is the only one who looked bad. If Pollack can get the OLine to consistently play like that this season, it is going to be a drastic improvement. Obviously health plays a big part in all of that and I understand it's preseason game 1, but for at least 1 August night the OLine looked better than it has in years.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:51 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Honestly, I don't think Turner should even be a High School line coach.    How he ever managed to land a coaching gig in college or the pros is really beyond me.  

Edit - just say the post that he is the OL coach at Texs Tech !?!?!. Holy crap. Don't know much about TT but can't say that I expect to see much from them this year. Wonder how long it will be before he is fired there.

*Texas State

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 04:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Texas State

Thanks Nicomo.   Will fix that now (iif it will let me).  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:51 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Honestly, I don't think Turner should even be a High School line coach.    How he ever managed to land a coaching gig in college or the pros is really beyond me.  

Edit - just say the post that he is the OL coach at Texs State !?!?!. Holy crap. Don't know much about TT but can't say that I expect to see much from them this year. Wonder how long it will be before he is fired there.

As BD said, the drill-sergeant routine doesn't work for the pros, but it can work for college, as you're teaching young men/kids and they are more-receptive to the, "tough-love," style of teaching, than pros are.

It's why he's had success in the NCAA (and he has, truly), despite his BS attitude.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Edit - just say the post that he is the OL coach at Texs State !?!?!.    Holy crap.   Don't know much about TT but can't say that I expect to see much from them this year.   Wonder how long it will be before he is fired there.

The crazier thing is that Turner was supposedly on his way to the University of Tennessee after it was known the Bengals were letting him go. Then the whole Pruitt debacle hit the school and his spot vanished. Then he moved onto Texas State in March. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 11:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The only thing I don’t understand is that if pollack is so good why has he never landed a job on a better team? I’m sure he has his reasons but it’s weird to bounce back between the Bengals and the Jets.

I thought he was o line coach for cowboys when their o line was one of the best if not the best?
Reply/Quote