Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The difference in Andy Dalton
Felt this warranted it's own thread - mainly because it's the deepest dive into trying to figure out what is exactly different about Andy Dalton in 2015.

I'm there every day - and every day these guys say ... "he's different." And Andy will tell you it's because he's comfortable, which breeds confidence. We try to illustrate that.

Some absolutely great quotes from Adam Jones, Ken Zampese, Mo Sanu, Hue Jackson and Andy himself ... including a statement about his career goals I don't know if too many people have seen.

“Andy knows what we need to do and what we’ve got to do to get over the hump."

Take a read and as always, I appreciate any separate Twitter or Facebook shares on your own.

Also - so much good stuff didn't get in - so if you all have any questions on this, hit me up below, too. Home game weekend so I've got some more time on my hands the next couple days.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:06 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Felt this warranted it's own thread - mainly because it's the deepest dive into trying to figure out what is exactly different about Andy Dalton in 2015.

I'm there every day - and every day these guys say ... "he's different." And Andy will tell you it's because he's comfortable, which breeds confidence. We try to illustrate that.

Some absolutely great quotes from Adam Jones, Ken Zampese, Mo Sanu, Hue Jackson and Andy himself ... including a statement about his career goals I don't know if too many people have seen.

Take a read and as always, I appreciate any separate Twitter or Facebook shares on your own.

Also - so much good stuff didn't get in - so if you all have any questions on this, hit me up below, too. Home game weekend so I've got some more time on my hands the next couple days.

FYI Your link doesn't work... at least not for me.
Reply/Quote
I couldn't open the link.

IMO he may be different from a personal standpoint / leadership (players would notice this) but I still think the biggest reason for his success this year is a healthy supporting cast. He had some great games in 2013. When you lose a solid #2 receiver and TE that can spread the field in Jones and Eifert it changes the whole chemistry of the offense. Not to mention it's a big change to how the defense defends you. 2014 was a disaster from a personnel standpoint.

I think them making the playoffs last year is a testament to AD more than anything. Heck, I think AJ missed time in about 6 games also. They started a running back in the slot in the playoff game for crying out loud!

To me he's the same Dalton, only more seasoned in year #5 and obviously more resilient having come through the injury mess last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:18 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I couldn't open the link.

IMO he may be different from a personal standpoint / leadership (players would notice this) but I still think the biggest reason for his success this year is a healthy supporting cast.  He had some great games in 2013.  When you lose a solid #2 receiver and TE that can spread the field in Jones and Eifert it changes the whole chemistry of the offense.  Not to mention it's a big change to how the defense defends you.  2014 was a disaster from a personnel standpoint.

I think them making the playoffs last year is a testament to AD more than anything.  Heck, I think AJ missed time in about 6 games also.  They started a running back in the slot in the playoff game for crying out loud!

To me he's the same Dalton, only more seasoned in year #5 and obviously more resilient having come through the injury mess last year.

Don't forget, last year was also Andy's first year in Hue's offense.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Link is dead for me.

Unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:18 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: IMO he may be different from a personal standpoint / leadership (players would notice this) but I still think the biggest reason for his success this year is a healthy supporting cast. 

This

(10-02-2015, 03:27 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Don't forget, last year was also Andy's first year in Hue's offense.

And this.

The difference in Dalton is confidence.  But that confidence is based on the fact that he has a better supporting cast and is more familiar with Hue's system.

I have not seen him make any throws that he could not make in the past.
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/10/02/whats-difference-andy-dalton/73207272/

I think this is the link.

Edit: Great Article lets hope the trend upward continues.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:06 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Felt this warranted it's own thread - mainly because it's the deepest dive into trying to figure out what is exactly different about Andy Dalton in 2015.

The article refers to parallels between TCU and Cincinnati... I was wondering earlier today if there are any parallels between Katy HS and TCU. IDK anything about high school football, especially Texas HS football. Does anyone know if Dalton took another mediocre program and won the championship or if it was a football powerhouse before he showed up?
Reply/Quote
Dalton is beast-moding. If everyone stays healthy and J. Hill shows up, I can't wait for the post-season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hate to rain on the parade, but is this the best three game stretch of Andy Dalton's career? Haven't we seen this before? It's just this time at the beginning of a season?

To me the difference isn't so much Dalton as it is a full support cast. Dalton has always had decent numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2015
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2014
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2013
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2012
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2011

He's a had a few pretty good three game sets if you look at each year, but he's never had a good (85+ rating or better) four game stretch. 2013 was close twice. If he continues this pace or even close to it, I think we'll be seeing our first playoff victory in quite a while.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Nice read Jim many thanks.

I so hope Andy and the Bengals finally have "it" all together, it's been waaayy to long.
Reply/Quote
I might start changing my mind after seeing prime time performance and playoffs this year. He fools us fans every year with 2,3,4 great games in a row and then bad Andy. So, great start this year, I still need to see more.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 05:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I might start changing my mind after seeing prime time performance and playoffs this year. He fools us fans every year with 2,3,4 great games in a row and then bad Andy. So, great start this year, I still need to see more.

True, true. But then again, Dalton has only had one 3 game stretch when he had a 100+ QB rating.

This is the first time he's ever had a 115+ QB rating in three consecutive games.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 04:56 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I hate to rain on the parade, but is this the best three game stretch of Andy Dalton's career?  Haven't we seen this before?  It's just this time at the beginning of a season?

To me the difference isn't so much Dalton as it is a full support cast.  Dalton has always had decent numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2015
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2014
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2013
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2012
http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs?season=2011

He's a had a few pretty good three game sets if you look at each year, but he's never had a good (85+ rating or better) four game stretch.  2013 was close twice.  If he continues this pace or even close to it, I think we'll be seeing our first playoff victory in quite a while.

You used a criteria of 85 or better for a 3 game stretch. Yet, I looked at 2014 and I did not see a consecutive 3 game stretch of 85 or more.

In 2015, AD has had a 3 game consecutive stretch of 100+ and he has never done that in his brief career to my knowledge.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 05:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You used a criteria of 85 or better for a 3 game stretch. Yet, I looked at 2014 and I did not see a consecutive 3 game stretch of 85 or more.

In 2015, AD has had a 3 game consecutive stretch of 100+ and he has never done that in his brief career to my knowledge.

Hey, you're right!  That's why I didn't mention 2014.  I said he came close twice in 2013. He had three consecutive 100+ games then, but not four.

My point is that Dalton has had very good three game stretches before.  I think what may get him over the hump is having his full cast of weapons.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
We can look at stretches and all that but last week we were down twice and he put points on the board with great passes and got it done.

Fred pointed out two things and is correct. He has something to work with this year. Mo Sanu played close to 1,100 snaps last year!!!!
Reply/Quote
The guy was the AFC player of the month in October of 2013 so it isn't as if we haven't seen Dalton play at this level before. His problem is that we haven't seen him be consistent and we haven't seen him play well when the lights are bright i.e. the playoffs.

Look, I'm encouraged about his start but I'm also reluctant to anoint him as a good QB until we see this for the entire season including playoffs. I hope that he continues this level of play because he's playing outstanding.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The article refers to parallels between TCU and Cincinnati... I was wondering earlier today if there are any parallels between Katy HS and TCU. IDK anything about high school football, especially Texas HS football. Does anyone know if Dalton took another mediocre program and won the championship or if it was a football powerhouse before he showed up?

Katy is not a consistent Football powerhouse.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for rescuing me there Synric - sorry about that busted link, all.

You all brought up good, and valid, points:
1. Jones/Eifert/Hill/Bernard/Green -- they all matter and of course, help.
2. He's put together "hot streaks" before. Yes, he has.

The organization, coaches and player have all seen this before, too.

Which is kind of why I stayed away from football in a way. It's too early to say "he's thrown for xxx yards / xx TDs / posted an xxx rating." I can only go by what I hear in the front office, coaches offices and in the locker room every day, and this drum beat that something was different with him back in the spring. The "public" part of it was Hue, Marvin and Whit saying the torch of leadership had been passed. But now that we're in to games, I wanted to revisit it.

Here's a quote from Hue that didn't make the story (though you may see it later) - but here's a peek behind the curtain:
"I think what you’re seeing is a guy who’s been through a lot of wars and hasn’t had the outcome that he wanted, that understands that he has got to be different. Because if you don’t change – you know that saying that if you keep on doing what you do, you keep on getting what you get – and I don’t think he wants to get the same thing anymore."

So this went into figuring that out. We all - and they - know none of this will be answered until that playoff game. But as Hue said, they've got to get there first.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 08:34 PM)Stewy Wrote: Katy is not a consistent Football powerhouse.

She disagrees.

[Image: 062500blackburn.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote