Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The elephant in the room, again, Oline
I feel like a broken record in this area. But in my mind we're an Oline away from winning it all.

And yes, I get it, we got the injury bug this season. But still, I'm just not full of confidence we have the winning combination at LT and RT.

Jonah Williams has had a very up and down early career not to mention the injuries. Add in the fact that he gave up the most sacks in the NFL last season and a bunch of pressures. I know they already extended him. But is he really the answer there ?

Jackson Casrman ? You guys know the story with him. He played pretty good to finish this season, finally. But like Williams I'm not just beaming with confidence over him either.

The there's Collins at RT. He has pretty serious back issues. And now the knee. Can he even make it back ? He was a liability in pass pro when healthy anyways. So again I'm not just gushing with confidence in him.

Then there's the depth issue. I get it, there's not just 25 probowlers sitting around waiting to find a team to be a backup on. But we have to be able to find better depth than Adeniji, Scharping and Co.

Are there going to be any decent OT's available on free agent market ? And I feel we need to invest a pretty high draft pick on Oline.

Joe Burrow deserves better protection.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think everyone agrees Adeniji needs to go. Also that both Jonah and Collins have injury issues.

So what can we do? Free Agency promises a pretty shallow Tackle market where the closest to what we need are Orlando Brown and Dalton Risner. Brown is all but certain to get tagged so is Risner what we need?

Draft wise with us picking at 28 we're basically talking Round 1. And this is a Tackle class that while somewhat deep also lacks truly elite level prospects. Maybe someone like Tyler Steen or Paris Johnson?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 03:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I feel like a broken record in this area. But in my mind we're an Oline away from winning it all.

And yes, I get it, we got the injury bug this season. But still, I'm just not full of confidence we have the winning combination at LT and RT.

Jonah Williams has had a very up and down early career not to mention the injuries. Add in the fact that he gave up the most sacks in the NFL last season and a bunch of pressures. I know they already extended him. But is he really the answer there ?

Jackson Casrman ? You guys know the story with him. He played pretty good to finish this season, finally. But like Williams I'm not just beaming with confidence over him either.

The there's Collins at RT. He has pretty serious back issues. And now the knee. Can he even make it back ? He was a liability in pass pro when healthy anyways. So again I'm not just gushing with confidence in him.

Then there's the depth issue. I get it, there's not just 25 probowlers sitting around waiting to find a team to be a backup on. But we have to be able to find better depth than Adeniji, Scharping and Co.

Are there going to be any decent OT's available on free agent market ? And I feel we need to invest a pretty high draft pick on Oline.

Orlando Brown (LT) will want too much money and not worth the price.
McGlinchey (RT) wants to stay in San Francisco, but they have 23 FA's and he is a much better run blocker than pass but not bad by any means.
Jawaan Taylor (RT)is solid pass blocker but a terrible run blocker.
Kaleb McGary (RT) is an awesome run blocker, mediocre pass blocker.
Wynn can play both tackle spots and is solid in run and pass but has a concerning injury history.
Kelvin Beachum is an older, cheap vet at age 333 with great career passing grades, limited as a run blocvker.
Fleming, 30 year old swing tackle, serviceable.
Fant, 31 can play both tackle spots, very good pass blocker, health questions.

This all I have for free agent tackles...

Draft Dawand, Wright, or Anton...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think everyone agrees Adeniji needs to go. Also that both Jonah and Collins have injury issues.

So what can we do? Free Agency promises a pretty shallow Tackle market where the closest to what we need are Orlando Brown and Dalton Risner. Brown is all but certain to get tagged so is Risner what we need?

Draft wise with us picking at 28 we're basically talking Round 1. And this is a Tackle class that while somewhat deep also lacks truly elite level prospects. Maybe someone like Tyler Steen or Paris Johnson?

Paris is the #1 or #2 OT in the draft, very doubtful we get a chance at him.

Reply/Quote
Why does no one mention Volson but throws Jonah under the bus?

Jonah was better than Volson. Volson gave up more pressures and had a higher pressure rate. Jonah is also younger than Volson believe it or not. Not to mention Jonah played on destroyed knees most of the year.

Cappa and Karras are good. I'm actually good with Jonah going into next year as well.

This team needs to upgrade at LG and RT. I don't feel comfortable with Collin's situation and he isn't that good. Volson can be upgraded as well.

Also, Adeniji needs to go - I agree with that. I am just completely over that dude at this point.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why does no one mention Volson but throws Jonah under the bus?

Jonah was better than Volson. Volson gave up more pressures and had a higher pressure rate. Jonah is also younger than Volson believe it or not. Not to mention Jonah played on destroyed knees most of the year.

Cappa and Karras are good. I'm actually good with Jonah going into next year as well.

This team needs to upgrade at LG and RT. I don't feel comfortable with Collin's situation and he isn't that good. Volson can be upgraded as well.

Also, Adeniji needs to go - I agree with that. I am just completely over that dude at this point.

this board has an irrational crush on Volson for whatever reason
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Paris is the #1 or #2 OT in the draft, very doubtful we get a chance at him.

Good.  I'm not sold on him at all.  OSU linemen have not fared very well here.  I've seen him play since grade school when he was a running back and he's always been soft despite being physically superior.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this board has an irrational crush on Volson for whatever reason

Volson did better than I expected as 4th Rd rookie. But I hope we take actions to try and improve the position. If nothing else we are increasing our depth if we bring in a free agent but Volson comes into next season looking good.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why does no one mention Volson but throws Jonah under the bus?

One is a 4th round rookie who got much better as the year went on, the other is a 1st rounder going into his 5th year and led the league in sacks given up.

They are not the same and should not be viewed as the same.
Reply/Quote

I mention Volson; as I think he's the worst starter on our oline.

But as to your question: I gotta say it's where they were drafted. 

Jonah was a first rounder so you want good-to-great, which Jonah is just reaching Good at his best.

Volson was a 4th rounder so you'd expect backup-to spot starter. Volson came in and beat out a second-rounder.

I also thin Jonah gets some of the salt folks have about losing Whit thrown at him. 

W
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think there’s not much that can be done with the OL. We’ve spent our money. Hopefully draft a tackle in the second or third round. There’s no money to get one in FA. JMHO.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think there’s not much that can be done with the OL. We’ve spent our money. Hopefully draft a tackle in the second or third round. There’s no money to get one in FA. JMHO.

If we are serious we can make the money work for a free agent.

If we are serious we should be willing to draft a tackle in the 1st round.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this board has an irrational crush on Volson for whatever reason

I think Volson is an adequate backup.  Depending on who is there in the first, but that kid from Florida. Torrance could be the answer at left guard. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 03:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I feel like a broken record in this area. But in my mind we're an Oline away from winning it all.

You can’t go to Walmart and pick up a LT…. We are good at keeping what we have esp 1st rounders. No matter how bad they s@ck
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Volson is an adequate backup.  Depending on who is there in the first, but that kid from Florida. Torrance could be the answer at left guard. 

Might have to jump ahead of the Steelers for Torrance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The concern over Jonah is more injury related. Both kneecaps have been dislocated - are there longer term effects on his ability to pivot and/or anchor? Because a LOT of his issues this season were not being able to anchor properly.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 05:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Good.  I'm not sold on him at all.  OSU linemen have not fared very well here.  I've seen him play since grade school when he was a running back and he's always been soft despite being physically superior.  

I know people say, draft the player not the school but i don't want to ever see another OSU lineman on the Bengals. Sorry, not sorry. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know people say, draft the player not the school but i don't want to ever see another OSU lineman on the Bengals. Sorry, not sorry. 

I understand the fear .  I think D. Jones could work out as RT.  I would not touch that center.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The Oline is a mess all considering.

LT: JW is near the bottom of all LT for sacks allowed over the last two years. Carman was a surprise but since it is such a small sample, he is a big question mark for next year. But at least he showed something.
LG: Volson is not a starter. He did well and showed some growth but he may be approaching his ceiling. He is a 4th rounder from a small school and did ok as a rookie but I feel he would be an adequate backup. I think Bengals have 3 options here:
1-sign another FA LG
2-Draft a LG in Torrance
3-Draft a Center in Schmits and kick Karras to LG where I think he ranked higher in PFF.
Center: I love Karras but maybe at the very least need better depth than Trey Hill.
RG: Cappa is the man but need someone to backup
RT: Draft. I am almost done with Adeniji. He killed that first drive in AFCCG and I am still pissed. He played well in snow. So Maybe move the Bengals to Alaska and we are set. Hilarious
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I just dont see it with Jonah Williams.

I guarantee he goes to a division rival and watch he becomes a pro bowler.

Hes not strong enough to handle guys like Trey H or Frank Clark, but hes also not fast enough to handle the Hassan Reddicks and the Chase Young's of the world. So its like why are you here? I damn near wanna just say eff it and put him at G.

He had a 1st round grade coming out for a reason, I just havent seen it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote