Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The emergence of Nick Vigil
When Vigil was first drafted, there was a lot of backlash because nobody knew who he was. I even started a thread that said we should start a Nick Vigil fan club and posted Nick Vigil/Chuck Norris jokes. Vigil showed athleticism early on, but didn't get much PT until later in the season when we had some injuries. And he showed he had the range and athleticism to get almost anywhere on the field. But he always seemed to get there....but not make the tackle. He would always seem to get at least an arm on the ball carrier, but they would always seem to get away. Or he would hold them up until others arrived as the ball carrier got 3 more yards.

Until last week in cleveland. Vigil had an excellent game. He was everywhere and was not only getting there, but taking the ball carrier down. It reminded me of rookie Jordan Evans' game in the preseason against indy. I didn't see much mentioned about just what a good game Vigil had. It was like the switch was finally flipped and his light came on. I am hoping that was his breakout game, and that we will continue to see him make plays like he did last week. I know it was the browns, but I am commenting specifically on the change from just getting to the right place, to getting there and making the play. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
He is looking like a true "draft and develop" success story. Like you said, he's quick and smart enough to get to where he needs to be, and now his tackling is improving as well. As long as he can remain healthy, I think that he'll continue to get better and better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:47 AM)Beaker Wrote: When Vigil was first drafted, there was a lot of backlash because nobody knew who he was. I even started a thread that said we should start a Nick Vigil fan club and posted Nick Vigil/Chuck Norris jokes. Vigil showed athleticism early on, but didn't get much PT until later in the season when we had some injuries. And he showed he had the range and athleticism to get almost anywhere on the field. But he always seemed to get there....but not make the tackle. He would always seem to get at least an arm on the ball carrier, but they would always seem to get away. Or he would hold them up until others arrived as the ball carrier got 3 more yards.

Until last week in cleveland. Vigil had an excellent game. He was everywhere and was not only getting there, but taking the ball carrier down. It reminded me of rookie Jordan Evans' game in the preseason against indy. I didn't see much mentioned about just what a good game Vigil had. It was like the switch was finally flipped and his light came on. I am hoping that was his breakout game, and that we will continue to see him make plays like he did last week. I know it was the browns, but I am commenting specifically on the change from just getting to the right place, to getting there and making the play. Thoughts?

He was really good against Bmore as well but it kind of got lost in the bad loss. Definitely looks to be solid and improving. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Seems to me that he is coming into the stage of both the game slowing down and trusting in what he is doing within the system.

As Beaker stated, early on he was in the vicinity of where he needed to be, but not necessarily in position to make the play or tackle. I think he now is understanding the nuances so that he is in better position for the proper angles, etc. to be successful; which in turn is allowing him to think less and play faster.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 12:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He was really good against Bmore as well but it kind of got lost in the bad loss. Definitely looks to be solid and improving

That's the thing I've noticed already this year, he's playing a ton of snaps and seems to be getting noticeably better each week. He's had some young first time starter mistakes but also makes a few very good plays each week. His mistakes are quickly becoming less obvious and costly and his good plays are multiplying quickly. I couldn't be happier with the improvement he's shown just in the last 4 weeks. It's not often we get to see a young defender grow up before our eyes like this
Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil has been the most pleasant story of the Bengals' 2017 season. He looked like the best player on the field last week on defense. Hope he keeps it up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Loving the development of Vigil. Haslet is doing his job.
Reply/Quote
Helps having Burfict back on the field. Frees him up to make plays. I'm still not sold on Vigil, will take time to win me over.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 12:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Helps having Burfict back on the field. Frees him up to make plays. I'm still not sold on Vigil, will take time to win me over.

I think I am. Nick just needed to find his place and feel comfortable. 2nd year, playing has improved well and could be a game changer once he ripens.

Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil slept with my wife.

Twice.
Reply/Quote
When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for Nick Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 05:28 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Nick Vigil slept with my wife.

Twice.

That you know of...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 05:28 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Nick Vigil slept with my wife.

Twice.

So did most of the people on this board?

(10-08-2017, 05:45 PM)jason Wrote: That you know of...

Ninja

Reply/Quote

Twice.

A.J. was going to do her today, but he dropped her? WTF?

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 05:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: A.J. was going to do her today, but he dropped her? WTF?

Did he drop her, or did she slide off him because she was wet?....you know, the rain and all.
Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil threw a grenade and blew up the bills backfield.

Then the grenade exploded.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 05:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: Did he drop her, or did she slide off him because she was wet?....you know, the rain and all.

Unsolved Mysteries?

Reply/Quote

Twice.

So did I and I ain't able to play LB for the Bengals. It's cool.  Surprised he did it twice. It cost me a Prime Rib dinner... the Jumbo cut that Geno Atkins might eat.....2/3 of it was doggie bag. WTF?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He is looking like a true "draft and develop" success story.  Like you said, he's quick and smart enough to get to where he needs to be, and now his tackling is improving as well.  As long as he can remain healthy, I think that he'll continue to get better and better.

I second this. We went a few drafts without getting many hits, but between Lawson, Vigil, Kroft, WJax and even Dennard, we're starting to see some promise.

Chris Smith looks like a good pickup as well. Bullock is paying dividends.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I second this. We went a few drafts without getting many hits, but between Lawson, Vigil, Kroft, WJax and even Dennard, we're starting to see some promise.

Chris Smith looks like a good pickup as well. Bullock is paying dividends.

I didn't get to watch any of the game today.  How did Vigil do?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote