Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The first question to ask about any free agent.
(02-15-2016, 04:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would say that part of the time, it is simple economics.  And at other times, maybe the team feels like they could get the same or better talent/production at a cheaper price than what that player sees their individual value as.  And, at other times, there could be some "hidden" flaws in that player, such as bad personality, malcontent, etc., that another team would not notice until he was in their locker room.

This 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 02:19 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Drew Bree's 
Terrel Owens
Steve Hutchinson (transition tagged)
Emmanuel sanders - maybe not elite but a hell of a talent
Demarco Murray (was supposed to be elite and in his prime)
Darrel revis (as mentioned)
Tony Gonzales (on backend but still in prime- might have got traded)
Mike Wallace - was supposed to be elite
Mario Williams 

So I guess there area handful of players in their prime perceived as elite. I think the difference is that teams utilizeplayerstalents that originally draft them.  Once they leave most new teams do not adjust their style to the player. Rather they make the player play to their system - if that makes sense.

which is a huge factor when looking at outside free agents... You cant just look at stats but how they fit what you do. Part of why the bengals have been able to find quality players without breaking the bank.. Not elite players but quality. also why a lot of free agents dont live up to expectations in ther new uniforms. Haynesworth is a good example of what you speak of... Signed 100+ mil to be a 4-3 DT and they switched to a 3-4 and he was pissed and basically quit.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:51 AM)Gohards Wrote: You're right, lebron james wasnt in his prime when he was a FA. LOL

When did Lebron play in the NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ehem..if you look at all free agents as a whole you're probably going to find that the overwhelming majority of them are not elite players..Some obviously are, but most are simply trying to get a job in the league. There are many more people who want to play in the NFL than actually do play in the NFL.
Let's put it this way. I'm a free agent. I'm 56 years old, bad hip, bad heart, my shoulder is really iffy and I weigh about 150 pounds, but I'm available to start in the NFL as a quarterback as long as any team is willing and able to pay me 20 million dollars per game..
Now, I have a hunch it's never going to happen, but I'm ready and able to get pummelled into the ground for at least one snap and I'll hopefully live long enough to cash that paycheck. The only reason I'm a free agent is because Marvin doesn't even know I exist.. There may be other factors involved, but the bottom line is I'm a free agent.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good question to ask.
If the fee agents weaknesses are something you can hide then boom you have a compatible player for your team.

Our team has run stop linebackers. So a linebacker whose weak against the run probably isn't a red flag to us. But maybe he was allowed to walk from his prior team because that weakness couldn't be masked by the players around him.

Think people get the crazy idea that players are supposed to be perfect. Yeah you have Luke Keuckly and JJ Watt type guys but most guys who are good are very good at one thing and then average at the rest. But they look amazing because their team was smart enough to put players around them that mask that weakness.

Case and point Domata Peko. A guy who is constantly destroyed in this board but has been a Bengal FOREVER. Why does he continue to find work? Because he's really really good at occupying space and clogging the lane. He's average in every other facet of defensive line play but when you play with 3 guys that could get 10 sacks by themself you don't have to get sacks

And boom you get the beauty of free agency and really team building in general.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 01:24 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Fixed it for you  ThumbsUp

Not sure that's really fair. He's 14-13 in the postseason, has been to 4 Super Bowls, and won 2 of them. I don't think that really warrants editing a post to make it arguably the best only regular season QB rather than just arguably the best QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
First question to ask oneself is, can he be of use to us getting over hump ?

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Off topic completely.

Am gassed about getting to see the guy that broke all my uncles HS records that stood for 50+ years play this Saturday at the Yum Center against my postseason ineligible Cards.

Hoping Luke Kennard gets plenty of minutes this day and scorches some nets in the process.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 04:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Off topic completely.

Am gassed about getting to see the guy that broke all my uncles HS records that stood for 50+ years play this Saturday at the Yum Center against my postseason ineligible Cards.

Hoping Luke Kennard gets plenty of minutes this day and scorches some nets in the process.

Was Jamie or Mark your uncle?

I went to both school and church with the Kennards.  Mark (Luke's dad) was in my graduating class '81.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a big "sign free agents" guy. Why? I think most of the free agents are pretty darned average for the most part. Sure, if you have a position that you have below average players at, free agency can sure up a position. But signing free agents for depth or thinking they are going to make huge impacts is not realistic.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Was Jamie or Mark your uncle?

I went to both school and church with the Kennards.  Mark (Luke's dad) was in my graduating class '81.

Not related to Luke just originally from his hometown as is my family.

John Powell is my uncle. Luke broke his scoring records at Franklin. John went on to be in the Miami of Ohio Hall of Fame in basketball and was Athletic Director for many years at Central Florida, then became Dean of Education, and then on the board. Believe he came to watch Luke the night he broke his record. 

I am in the class of 81 as well. Maybe went to Gerke together with you and him too My Bible that was earned comes from the Franklin First Baptist Church. Is this the same church you and him attended ? Moved when I was in 4th grade though. Probably lost to my undefeated American Legion football team a time or two, lol. Do not remember many people from school though, just my immediate friends on Beam Drive. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
When considering the Bengals M.O. regarding outside FA, the first question is....."how cheap"? Followed closely by "how old"? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote