Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The first question to ask about any free agent.
There are a lot of good players that hit free agency but their not a lot of a elite players that hit free agency.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 12:53 AM)J24 Wrote: There are a lot of good players that hit free agency but their not a lot of a elite players that hit free agency.

Bull.

Lebron james
Peyton manning
Demarcus ware
Albert pujoles
Deon sanders
Terrel owens
Carmelo anthony

These are elite players
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 01:09 AM)Gohards Wrote: Bull.

Lebron james
Peyton manning
Demarcus ware
Albert pujoles
Deon sanders
Terrel owens
Carmelo anthony

These are elite players

Mario Williams
Ndamukong Suh
Jerry Rice
Reggie White
Charles Woodson
Rod Woodson
Shannon Sharpe
Darrell Revis (three times, lol)
Drew Brees

etc

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 01:09 AM)Gohards Wrote: Bull.

Lebron james
Peyton manning
Demarcus ware
Albert pujoles
Deon sanders
Terrel owens
Carmelo anthony

These are elite players
Deion Sanders was the only NFL guy you named that was in his prime when he was a free agent at that was what 20 years ago. I never said elite players never go on the market I said they rarely do anyways. Not sure how anyone could argue that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 02:07 AM)J24 Wrote: Deion Sanders was the only NFL guy you named that was in his prime when he was a free agent at that was what 20 years ago. I never said elite players never go on the market I said they rarely do anyways. Not sure how anyone could argue that.

You're right, lebron james wasnt in his prime when he was a FA. LOL
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones walks into the meeting room and sits down in a chair with a table being conspicuously absent.

Fred is sitting across from Marvin and asks, "Why are you a free agent?"

Marvin responds, "Its the way your always looking down at my crotch and licking your lips, it has always made me feel very uncomfortable"

Fred looks down and licks his lips...

Marvin gets up and leaves walking past Sanu as they give each other a nervous glance.

Sanu sits down....

Fred looks at Sanu, "So Sanu I see you are a free agent now. Why do you want to be a free agent?"

Sanu rolls his eyes and responds, "Why are you so hungry?"

"Why would you think Im hungry?" Fred asks in a monotone voice.

"Because every time I see you, your licking your lips..."

Fred looks down between Sanu's legs and slowly licks his lips and responds, "Send in Jones"
Reply/Quote
Hilarious
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 02:07 AM)J24 Wrote: Deion Sanders was the only NFL guy you named that was in his prime when he was a free agent at that was what 20 years ago. I never said elite players never go on the market I said they rarely do anyways. Not sure how anyone could argue that.

I was so upset when we missed out on LeBron James and Albert Pujoles. Cry

There have been a handful of elite players in their prime that have hit free agency.  The fact that these guys had to go back over 20 years to come up with just a few NFL players proves this.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 11:07 AM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Jones walks into the meeting room and sits down in a chair with a table being conspicuously absent.

Fred is sitting across from Marvin and asks, "Why are you a free agent?"

Marvin responds, "Its the way your always looking down at my crotch and licking your lips, it has always made me feel very uncomfortable"

Fred looks down and licks his lips...

Marvin gets up and leaves walking past Sanu as they give each other a nervous glance.

Sanu sits down....

Fred looks at Sanu, "So Sanu I see you are a free agent now. Why do you want to be a free agent?"

Sanu rolls his eyes and responds, "Why are you so hungry?"

"Why would you think Im hungry?" Fred asks in a monotone voice.

"Because every time I see you, your licking your lips..."

Fred looks down between Sanu's legs and slowly licks his lips and responds, "Send in Jones"

This is ridiculous.

I never speak in a "monotone voice".  You don't know how I speak.  This is total BS.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is ridiculous.

I never speak in a "monotone voice".

Nope. I imagine you have a very high pitched and cheerful voice. 

[Image: BBfvtz-CIAAo5nn.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When did LeBron James play for an NFL team? Pujoles? Carmelo?

Different sports, different ways FA are handled. In the NFL, top players in their prime are more of a rarity in FA. When it happens, it's typically because the team is in cap hell, or the players has off the field issues (or on the field issues that the first team got tired of).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is he a free agent?

I would say that its either the team not offering the guy a contract which could mean he's not valued that much, or either the player was offered a new contract but chose to test the free agent market to get a better deal.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 08:35 PM)Gohards Wrote: I understand that, but he was still their best player. The dude is arguably the best regular season qb to ever live. He broke the single season TD record in 2013. I think its safe to say he was their best player

Fixed it for you  ThumbsUp
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marvin Jones, George Iloka, Reggie Nelson and Mo Sanu are all about to be free agents.

Why? I'm sure the Bengals would love to have them back. They're not cancers, they're not overly injury prone for the most part.

Teams often just can't afford all their good players once their affordable rookie contracts are up.

Because they chose to bet on themselves and test the market....
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 01:18 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I would say that its either the team not offering the guy a contract which could mean he's not valued that much, or either the player was offered a new contract but chose to test the free agent market to get a better deal.

We all understand that simplistic explanation.

The real question is "Why would his original team not pay enough to keep him?"   All teams like to keep their best players and will pay to keep them.  So when  guy hits the FA market it is important to mfigure out why.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We all understand that simplistic explanation.

The real question is "Why would his original team not pay enough to keep him?"   All teams like to keep their best players and will pay to keep them.  So when  guy hits the FA market it is important to mfigure out why.

I would assume that every team knows their impending Free Agents going into the off season, and probably has an acceptable amount tagged to each player that probably figures into some grand amount they are willing to spend on Free Agency total. If market value for that player dictates him being out of their initial amount then they may not even attempt to negotiate, or the agent for that player just says hey my guy isn't going to entertain offers until the off season, which means they want a bidding war.

I hate when players use the excuse that contract negotiations are a distraction, when we all know that the agent does about 99% of the actual negotiating. All the player does is agree to the contract and sign it.

Im sure if a team has a high value on a guy they are probably willing to trim the fat in other areas to a point in order to keep that guy around..

I guess the easiest explanation would be balance. Not handicapping yourself too much in other areas, to keep one guy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 08:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I keep asking that about Josh Brown when the Bengals kept Nuge instead.

All about money. The Bengals essentially offered Brown and Nugent the same deal and it was all about who signed first. Nugent quickly jumped on it because no one else would've signed him until midseason. Brown wanted more money and got it. He signed a 2 year deal for $2.5 million. The rumors for Nugent were that he signed for roughly the veteran minimum.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:30 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote:  Brown wanted more money and got it. He signed a 2 year deal for $2.5 million. The rumors for Nugent were that he signed for roughly the veteran minimum.

Brown signed a one year $1 million contract with the Giants in '13.  The next year he got the 2 year $2.6 deal.

Nugent got $3 million for 2 years in 2103 and signed a 2 year $3.5 million extension in '15.

So the Bengals paid Nugent more money than Brown got.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brown signed a one year $1 million contract with the Giants in '13.  The next year he got the 2 year $2.6 deal.

Nugent got $3 million for 2 years in 2103 and signed a 2 year $3.5 million extension in '15.

So the Bengals paid Nugent more money than Brown got.

Looks like the website I read got it wrong.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Drew Bree's 
Terrel Owens
Steve Hutchinson (transition tagged)
Emmanuel sanders - maybe not elite but a hell of a talent
Demarco Murray (was supposed to be elite and in his prime)
Darrel revis (as mentioned)
Tony Gonzales (on backend but still in prime- might have got traded)
Mike Wallace - was supposed to be elite
Mario Williams 

So I guess there area handful of players in their prime perceived as elite. I think the difference is that teams utilizeplayerstalents that originally draft them.  Once they leave most new teams do not adjust their style to the player. Rather they make the player play to their system - if that makes sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote