Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Team Sewell
(05-02-2021, 06:45 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For Team Sewell,

Remove your Sewell stuff from the forum signature options. He's a Lion.

Yeah I'll do that at my own leisure, not yours. 

(05-02-2021, 08:00 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You could have traded back in hindsight.  Marshall fell due to potential chronic injury concerns. I think you are assuming he is 100% healthy.  I doubt the Bengals could have taken that chance.

There is a reason he fell so far.

Not hindsight when I said he'd be available in the 2nd before the draft.

Also, Carman has his own health concerns. Why are we assuming worst case for Marshall and best case for Carman?

Lets at least try to be fair here. Most outlets had Marshall going in the 2nd before the injury thing.

(05-02-2021, 11:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Except that they werent scrap heap picks. The O line would not have been fixed with one OT. By converting the second pick into a G, a DT, and an OT they did much more to fix the problems than just picking Sewell first. Plus they got the best WR. Much smarter the way they actually did it.

The 2nd rounder wasn't "scrap heap", but I consider anything in rounds 4-6 to essentially be throwaway picks (or slightly above that, with the 4th). Most of them don't amount to much. So my analogy holds true. Whether it was "smarter" or not is subjective. Obviously.

If you really think we prioritized line over WR...man...I kinda wish we would've prioritized WR instead.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals start winning this year then the Bengals
Passing on.Sewell will be very irrelevant
Reply/Quote
BTW the Colts didnt address their LT issue in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 09:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I'll do that at my own leisure, not yours. 

You do you, my man.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You do you, my man.

Was planning on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 09:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah I'll do that at my own leisure, not yours. 

Not hindsight when I said he'd be available in the 2nd before the draft.

Also, Carman has his own health concerns. Why are we assuming worst case for Marshall and best case for Carman?

Lets at least try to be fair here. Most outlets had Marshall going in the 2nd before the injury thing.

The 2nd rounder wasn't "scrap heap", but I consider anything in rounds 4-6 to essentially be throwaway picks (or slightly above that, with the 4th). Most of them don't amount to much. So my analogy holds true. Whether it was "smarter" or not is subjective. Obviously.

If you really think we prioritized line over WR...man...I kinda wish we would've prioritized WR instead.

Marshall has never made it through a college season without missing games.  He opted out after 7 games last year to presumably prep for the draft, but then it came out that he had knee surgery, so he was injured again.  He also had a broken leg and ankle issues in high school. With his track record for missing time, durability is a concern.  Carman was able to play through his injury, so most people are not going to see him as being as much of an injury risk as a guy like Marshall.    
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 12:16 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Chase needs to be HoF level to make the other half forget... or Sewell just needs to totally bust.

If that's the only criteria that would make a certain segment happy...then that's damn sad.

What if neither is a Hall of Famer or a bust...but just have really good careers and play major roles on their teams?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:06 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: If that's the only criteria that would make a certain segment happy...then that's damn sad.

What if neither is a Hall of Famer or a bust...but just have really good careers and play major roles on their teams?

As long as Chase does well and the line holds up (no Jonah on IR again) and no absolute horrible play from the OL, then all is well. I just still can't picture the line getting the Bengals through a season and it worries me. But, if Jonah shows he can hold LT, and Spain or XSF holds down one guard spot and Reiff does well, then there is no complaints.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Team Sewell guy here . I'm glad we got Chase he looks like a future pro bowler but why are some team Chase guys going off sounding like D bags now. Let it go, lets move on keyboard warriors
Reply/Quote
The thing with the Chase crowd was they used the argument of why pick Sewell as a tackle when it was interior we needed, then draft Carman a tackle we'll be moving to guard. Quick couple of questions. What type of numbers do we think we will get out of chase, since most think he will be all conquering. we looking at Green, Warwick, pickens or johnson type numbers?? Some have said we over drafted Carman, have we every over drafted a player who has proved us wrong?? Although I wanted Sewell I'll wait for them to play before judging, we did a couple of nice things, I like that we traded down picked up more picks, and added depth for both lines. Was suprised we didn't draft a qb ( thought we might have drafted trask early 4th), and this is the second draft in a row we didn't spend a pick on a DB.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm pretty sure you're referencing when I said we could've had Sewell plus Terrance Marshall. Marshall went 13 picks after Carman, so we could've traded back and got those picks in either scenario.

Fwiw, I don't think I've been overly critical of this draft, considering I didn't get the top guy I wanted.

I've showered praise on Chase - as has most Sewell guys. I gave the draft a B-...not an F. I think most of us have been fair, we just have different priorities.

Also, I have to clarify. Keeping Burrow healthy is important, but far from the only reason people wanted Sewell. The lineman we got were...nice. But o-line once again took a backseat on the priority list. This time to WR.

Your team sewell and team Chase lists are a joke. I literally watched Willie Anderson say he was Team Chase on New stripe city podcast civil war.. You seam to have left alot out for Chase too, coincidentally I suppose........
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t know if they are fine long term since Reiff has 10 years on him and is on a one year deal, they can still get a tackle in FA next year or in the draft for the long term too. Are they OK this year? We have to wait and see if Adeniji makes a leap, Reiff is starting and Carman can play the position in a pinch. I think it’s fine for this year but they need a better long term solution at RT still.

Cracks me up.  Whitworth signed a new deal at the age of 35, played out that deal and is still humming along.  

Who said Reiff, who is younger than Whitworth at that point can't do the same?  Heck, if he plays well I can see the Bengals resigning him to a 3- year deal.  If so the tackle issue isn't that bad and we have plenty of time to draft and groom a replacement.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:58 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Cracks me up.  Whitworth signed a new deal at the age of 35, played out that deal and is still humming along.  

Who said Reiff, who is younger than Whitworth at that point can't do the same?  Heck, if he plays well I can see the Bengals resigning him to a 3- year deal.  If so the tackle issue isn't that bad and we have plenty of time to draft and groom a replacement.

Every player is different. You can’t really apply what one guy did and expect everyone else to follow in there footsteps. But more importantly he is only signed for this year and will be looking for another big extension afterwards. It might not be in Cincy, so you can’t count on Reiff after this year. They need a long term solution at RT still if Adeniji doesn’t make the leap.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:50 AM)Tony Wrote: Your team sewell and team Chase lists are a joke. I literally watched Willie Anderson say he was Team Chase on New stripe city podcast civil war.. You seam to have left alot out for Chase too, coincidentally I suppose........

You clearly haven't followed Willie's twitter throughout this process.

And what Bengals legend did I leave off of Team Chase?? 

Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it a joke. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:58 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Cracks me up.  Whitworth signed a new deal at the age of 35, played out that deal and is still humming along.  

Reiff also never played at the level of Whitworth.

If he plays well you are entering a league year with a giant jump in the cap. It isn't like the only team interested would be Cincinnati. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is not an I told you so thread. But this is to address whether or not Team Sewell people can now relax a bit after the draft is complete.

The biggest argument I heard coming out of those on team Sewell was that "winning teams build from the trenches". And if the Bengals took Chase, they were neglecting the trenches and Burrow was going to die. After taking the best WR in the draft, I would say the Bengals did a really nice job building from the trenches. In fact, of their 110 draft picks, they took 7 players on the Offensive and defensive lines. They got:

A starter a G in Carman. Some thought he was a reach based on his expected draft position. But those grades were based on him being evaluated as an OT prospect, not a G. The Bengals drafted him as a G who could also move out to play RT in case of injuries. Arguably G was our biggest line need, not T. And with Rieff on a 1 yr deal, Carman is a stellar fit.

A run stuffing, immovable DT from a power SEC school. Shelvin will fit perfectly into our D line rotation and hopefully bring it back to like it was under Zimmer when he was always rotating in fresh players and getting pressure on opposing QBs.

An OT who is a bit light and needs some coaching, but has a great upside.

3 DEs, one of which was a consensus great pick in Ossai. DE was arguably our second biggest position of need. Lack of pressure on QBs was a huge problem last year.

A good C, who if he hadnt gotten injured was projected maybe 2 rounds earlier. We now have a backup/heir to our C who is coming off an ACL injury.

I would say that is a pretty strong job of addressing the trenches.

I also saw a poster who pointed out after the Carman pick that he would have rather had Sewell and a WR like Moore, than Chase and Carman. What he failed to recognize with that post was that it wasn't Chase/Carman. Because of the trade, we also got Tyler Shelvin and D'Ante Smith. Call me stupid, but with the number of holes we had on both lines, I think the Bengals did a fantastic job getting Chase/Carman/Shelvin/Smith which is a huge advantage over Sewell/Moore with those picks.

In conclusion, those who were upset after round one and were positive the Bengals had screwed up and that our FO was only interested in flashy toys as weapons for Burrow while neglecting the glaring needs....do you still feel the same way now?

Did I hear correctly that Jackson never lined up as guard in college? If so that would be my concerns. I’ve heard some say he may be the best guard in the draft lol how does anyone know. I’m no Oline guru and I’m sure everyone in this thread knows more about Oline play than I do. But I’m sure there’s a difference.

As for Chase, I’m still not over the Ross pick. But if Burrow is on his ass all season it’s just as much in him. His knee was shredded and he pounds the table for his teammate. Time will tell if it was the right decision, but everyone knows damn well if Burrow wanted Sewell, we would have him. So I’m not mad if he’s not.
Reply/Quote

Wait.

So... you think the Bengals who let Whit walk in favor of Og, because Whit was too old are sly enough to score Reiff over every other team?

Mellow

Man, we listened to PA on the Whit issue and lost on of the top tackles in the league. Now, here we are, a few years later, relying on PA's info to fix a line he ****ed up in the first place.

I'm not saying Reiff can't be solid, or anyone else. But we've had a crap line for years. We should start getting better input than PA.
Reply/Quote