Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The issue of separation with our wide receivers
Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or scheme issue? I see other teams finding ways to get their guys open and it seems like that is never the case with us. What's the problem?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or scheme issue?  I see other teams finding ways to get their guys open and it seems like that is never the case with us.  What's the problem?

It is a talent issue with Lafell and Boyd, their strengths are running good routes and having good hands.

It is a coaching issue with Malone, Core and Ross cause their strengths are their speed and getting seperation and we don't use them often.

Urban has not done very good with his guys this year, especially Core who was hyped by even me before the season.

I am sure the scheme is a huge part of it too.

All depends on if the O-line is giving your QB enough time so he can hit the WR's if or when they get open.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Is this a talent issue, coaching issue, or scheme issue?  I see other teams finding ways to get their guys open and it seems like that is never the case with us.  What's the problem?
That is the $64,000 question. First, and foremost, I say coaching. Scheme comes under the coaching umbrella too. I can't believe it is just a bunch of poor WRs on the team. Although the people responsible for drafting said WRs may be part of the coaching issue too.  There seems to be a common thread running throughout the entire team. Hmmm? Come to think of it, there is a strand of compromised DNA running throughout the FO as well.
Reply/Quote
I'd say it's a little bit of everything you mentioned and more.

The complete lack of any kind of running game the vast majority of games has killed the offense overall. Teams could lay back in coverage with no fear of the run hurting them.

The QB not having time on a lot of plays has hurt as well. Both of these contribute to play calling/scheme and being to predictable !

But the biggest chunk comes down to talent I believe. Lafell is probably more of a 3 or 4 than he is a true #2. Ross couldn't get on the field for whatever reasons, Boyd wasn't on it much either. Erickson had a couple good games but he's probably not a true #2 either.

Hopefully Ross can be our #2 and he can get separation but we just don't know ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It may also be a QB hesitation problem.

Just saying.
Reply/Quote
I'll go to my grave believing the Bengals cut the wrong WR the past two seasons.
Reply/Quote
I have to go with Ocho's post in another thread.

It's the Domino effect. The poor play by the offensive line has heavily effected the entire offense that includes the scheme being used.

As for Lafell and separation here's an article that says in 2016 he was 4th in separation by a #2 WR.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778754/article/desean-jackson-among-top10-no-2-wrs-in-separation?campaign=tw-nf-sf52580313-sf52580313
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think scheme is a HUGE chunk of the problem. When I watch the downfield play, I can't tell you how many times the defender completely ignored feints and fakes and went right to where the receiver was going to sit or cut. It was like they were in our playbook.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:32 PM)snowy Wrote: I'll go to my grave believing the Bengals cut the wrong WR the past two seasons.

And let go of the wrong coordinator.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
It's the scheme mostly. There are no jukes or crossing routes/picks used for our WRs.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All depends on if the O-line is giving your QB enough time so he can hit the WR's if or when they get open.

Ding! Ding! Ding! +1 for you!
Reply/Quote
This is just a made up thing. Our WRs get separation as well as any WRs in the NFL it's just that our QB likes to have a bigger window to throw into than most.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#aggressiveness
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's more of a Talent/ fit issue/ youth issue/ oline issue. The problem is that are three best veteran Wrs besides Green are not known for their deep threat ability.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If you can not run the ball then it is easier for defenses to lay back.

O-line has a lot to do with this problem.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The bottom line is this. John Ross has been inactive almost all year even when healthy. Tyler Boyd has been a healthy inactive of injured inactive for at least half the season and received little playing time. Malone is a rookie trying his best to learn and Core has been used exclusively on special teams for whatever reason. That leaves you Green, LaFell and Erickson. Eifert is out, Green gets doubled a lot leaving just LaFell, Erickson or one of the TE''s along with the back out of the back field.

Dalton can not hit anything long and outside the numbers with any consistentcy. Be it Green, LaFell, Boyd, Core, Ross or Malone the odds of hitting that play are just very low percentages. Lack of a running game and the fact you don't have to blitz very much to get pressure kind of makes this offense easy to defend. The reason defenders always seem to know the play is because we're limited in the number of plays we can run with any success.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It may also be a QB hesitation problem.

Just saying.

BS.

This has been a persistent issue since Carson, Chad & TJ.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:58 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: BS.

This has been a persistent issue since Carson, Chad & TJ.

So Chad and TJ didn't get separation?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's scheme and players , goodberry explained before on Twitter that they use green more of a decoy a lot for the #2 receiver to get open.our #2 receiver is not good . Actually lafell should be a slot at best,definitely not used in the game plan for screens and such.plus he's not clutch,and he drops balls. 3rd idk why they drafted Boyd, they target him like once a game it seems. His game was never to seperate ,but to run good routes and catch . everything. That's what everyone claimed when he came out that he made great contested catches , but our qb does no t throw it to you unless you are a star and show to be wide open.or if it's by play design .malone looks to be just what he was In college,just a deep threat.idk what's wrong with core he's been dissapointing. And they don't target Erickson enough in the offense,I think he's actually a better receiver then he is returner.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 09:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is just a made up thing. Our WRs get separation as well as any WRs in the NFL it's just that our QB likes to have a bigger window to throw into than most.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#aggressiveness

This is so true
Reply/Quote
It has to begin and end with where the buck stops at the desk of one Michael Brown regardless of who is or isn't playing. He's the owner and general manager and directly responsible for every team success and failure. He's responsible for whoever is the head coach, line coach, stadium lease, and even who cleans the toilets at the stadium. Without his say so nothing happens with the team win, lose or draw.
He's responsible for whoever is snapping the ball to the QB, who runs to catch the ball when thrown and every play run. 
I don't blame the players nor the coaches because he's the one person who has the power to change all of it and has stubbornly refused to make the necessary changes over the years to bring a championship to the team and city and for the fans. 
He lives a life fit for a king and rakes in the lions share of all the profits so the fault lies squarely at his feet and nobody else.  The buck stops with Mike Brown, period. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote