Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The moment that turned the tide
(10-25-2021, 09:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Dunlap didn't want to play contain, he just wanted to do what he wanted to do and that was pad his personal sack total. When he was asked to contain his running lanes, he checked out. 

On the surface, that's what it appears like.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have minimal computer skills, and you have to actually click the links to see the video (sorry, I am old, and while I am at it, get off my lawn!).

Seriously, since this moment, the Bengals are 7-3.  

This season, they have not given up 25 points to a single opponent.

The defense, is top 5 in the NFL.

The offense, is just starting to scratch the surface of what they can be.

Here are the video links to the "Hit that turned the tide".

https://twitter.com/i/status/1341393355910115332

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA104-niomk&ab_channel=HighlightYard

I still can't believe the defense is this good.. Even Apple.. I know he gets a lot of shit, but he's settled in nice.. I lived seeing Hilton run down the sideline with Chase. I just love this team. I don't know omif we have ever had a team this tight.. Zac and Burrow are changing the Culture here fast... No ones surprised about winning, just talking about getting better and they expect to win. Logan saying ahit about lamar, Evan McPherson and Burrow talking about blowing teams out.. These guys don't give a **** about history they had nothing to do with....
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:15 PM)Tony Wrote: I still can't believe the defense is this good.. Even Apple.. I know he gets a lot of shit, but he's settled in nice.. I lived seeing Hilton run down the sideline with Chase. I just love this team. I don't know omif we have ever had a team this tight.. Zac and Burrow are changing the Culture here fast... No ones surprised about winning, just talking about getting better and they expect to win. Logan saying ahit about lamar, Evan McPherson and Burrow talking about blowing teams out.. These guys don't give a **** about history they had nothing to do with....

Swagger is 1988 level. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 08:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And yet here Hendrickson and Hubbard are flourishing under the incompetent because they play within the system as it is designed. 

And because they actually play hard every down.

Dunlap was a toddler who needed a babysitter to stay on him all the time. We've weeded out all those guys, and damn what a difference it has made.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The coaches wanted Dunlap gone after the 2019 season.  He was never given a fair chance.  He was outplaying the guys they sat him behind.

Darius Phillips called out the defensive coaches.  Shawn Williams called out the defensive coaches. Former Bengals like Adam Jones called out the defensive coaches. Even Jesse Bates said there were communication problems with the defensive coaches.  Our defense sucked the last two years. I have no idea why so many people turned on Dunlap in favor of coaches who were doing a terrible job.

Marvin Lewsi and Mike Zimmer would havw won multiple Super Bowls if they had been given HALF of the free agent talent the Bengals have bought for Lou.

You're wrong. Most of these cancers have been excised, then it appears communication improved...I'm sure just a coincidence. And not to mention the team chemistry and commradery never seen here before according to CJ. 

Just like you're wrong about Burrow's confidence not impacting the team. Zac said in his presser today just as much. 

Marvin and Zim had no shortage of talent. Dunlap, Johnson, Geno, Nelson, Burfict, Chad, AJ, Dalton/palmer, Leon, Joseph, whit, Rudi, Willie, Eifert, Mixon and on and on. They did nothing with it other than embarrass themselves in the first round if they made it. That always looked out coached and snakebitten
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 10:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is my favorite version of the Juju hit

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/ki3yz6/juju_on_that_beat/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Ok, you owe me a new computer screen as I just spit coffee all over this one and can't stop laughing.  That was some funny shit. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:15 PM)Tony Wrote: I still can't believe the defense is this good.. Even Apple.. I know he gets a lot of shit, but he's settled in nice.. I lived seeing Hilton run down the sideline with Chase. I just love this team. I don't know omif we have ever had a team this tight.. Zac and Burrow are changing the Culture here fast... No ones surprised about winning, just talking about getting better and they expect to win. Logan saying ahit about lamar, Evan McPherson and Burrow talking about blowing teams out.. These guys don't give a **** about history they had nothing to do with....

Good point, and one of my fav new additions, Mr. Hendrickson, spoke about that in an early interview.  When mentioned about their playoff win drought, he said something to the effect of "Yeah, I know about it, but we are an entirely different team now", but I love what he added next:

"I know the history and I want to be a part of what changes it, and writes our own history of success".  I think he had me at that line.  The only other guy I remember saying how he wanted to be a part of what turned the tide and made a historically losing franchise a winner was Kurt Warner.  

Kurt didn't whine about wanting to play for a winner.  Nor did he complain about taking a shit ton of hits in Mike Martz's QB-killing system.  He would stare down the gun barrel, wait for the WR to make their last break, deliver the ball on target, and get blown up.  One of the toughest SOB's I have ever seen.  He also went on to take two of the losingest franchises to Super Bowls (Rams and Cards) and he won one.  Those franchises are not jokes any more.

There is a movie coming out this Christmas about his life story.  You can bet I will be there, even though I could tell it.  I absolutely love that man.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The coaches wanted Dunlap gone after the 2019 season. A) He was never given a fair chance. B) He was outplaying the guys they sat him behind.

Darius Phillips called out the defensive coaches.  Shawn Williams called out the defensive coaches. Former Bengals like Adam Jones called out the defensive coaches. Even Jesse Bates said there were communication problems with the defensive coaches.  Our defense sucked the last two years. C) I have no idea why so many people turned on Dunlap in favor of coaches who were doing a terrible job.

D) Marvin Lewsi and Mike Zimmer would havw won multiple Super Bowls if they had been given HALF of the free agent talent the Bengals have bought for Lou.

A) He was given EVERY chance. He didn't want to do what the coaches asked him to do, so he pouted and ate potato chips.

B) He always could.... when HE wanted to and on plays that HE wanted to.

C) Because the coaches weren't doing a terrible job, the players were refusing to do what the coaches asked, because it was not the way THEY      wanted to play. So the coaches got rid of them and brought in players who would play within the system as designed, and now oh look, we        have a top 6 defense (or wherever we are sitting this week in the top 10.) If the coaches were doing a terrible job, the defense would still suck. 

D) They may not have had "free agent" talent because they drafted well. In their prime, Dunlap, Atkins, Peko and Johnson were every bit as good as this current incarnation of a defensive line. Zimmer had top 10 defenses. Marvin had explosive offenses. What they did not have were playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
I might re-name this thread: "Fred's worst take ever". I generally respect your opinion on here, even if you sometimes are real surly in your delivery, but Dunlap doesn't get excused for his behaviour toward the end here just because he was once a very good player for the Bengals.

I think it was Stewy posted an interesting take on leadership and culture changes to existing employees that he referenced for both football and our day to day lives. As someone that has been through this a number of times in my professional and athletic career, I can tell you that it worked out a lot better for me when the more adult, mature version of me took it as an opportunity for growth and leadership in helping to ease the transition. I saw people that were "cancers" phased out that still blame the leadership to this day.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I might re-name this thread:  "Fred's worst take ever".  I generally respect your opinion on here, even if you sometimes are real surly in your delivery, but Dunlap doesn't get excused for his behaviour toward the end here just because he was once a very good player for the Bengals.  

I think it was Stewy posted an interesting take on leadership and culture changes to existing employees that he referenced for both football and our day to day lives.  As someone that has been through this a number of times in my professional and athletic career, I can tell you that it worked out a lot better for me when the more adult, mature version of me took it as an opportunity for growth and leadership in helping to ease the transition.  I saw people that were "cancers" phased out that still blame the leadership to this day.

Exactly, try working for a large police department when a new Chief of Police comes in and changes everything. You want to see a bunch of A type personalities deal with having their routines disrupted, tranfers and new assignments?.... it's like pay per view.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 08:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly, try working for a large police department when a new Chief of Police comes in and changes everything. You want to see a bunch of A type personalities deal with having their routines disrupted, tranfers and new assignments?.... it's like pay per view.

Ever seen the movie "Up in the air"?  It had its moments.  George Clooney was the main character and his boss is trying to get them "grounded" and work from behind a computer.  As a lifelong travel almost every day guy, Clooney has a lot of reservations.  He tries to complain to his boss, who takes a little piece of paper and folds it over and says:  "This is the boat.  Are you in the boat or are you out of the boat.  Your decision". 

Pretty blunt, but the bottom line is most of us won't work for ourselves and have to answer to a boss of some sort.  You work for them in that company's leadership chain.  It is pretty much their say what they want you to do at your job.  You always have the option of leaving. 

I was not a fan of Dunlap's actions to get out of here at all.  End of story.  
Reply/Quote