Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The offense is starting to take on Burrow's personality
(10-25-2021, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad Joe has such a soft, pansy-ass personality on short yardage plays.

Ninja

Actually it is ridiculous to claim Joe's personality has anything to do with us winning.  Didn't he have the same personality last year?

The team is better because the talent is better.  Not because of some magic vibe Joe just found this offseason.

His personality as the isolated reason for Bengals success is a reach, but it certainly influences the team winning. All sorts of theoretical frameworks exist in leadership studies to suggest people and their personality can situationally make a difference. I'm guessing many in the organization would gladly state Burrow's personality contributes to winning football. A better framing of the discussion is to what extent it matters or not when also analyzing the overall talent improving. When Zac continuously says team culture matters in his pressers, I'm speculating he considers individual player personalities as part of the winning culture he is working to build.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 10:24 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I can never tell when he is being sarcastic, or just in a bad mood and wanting to argue for no reason.

He's just a troll that takes whatever position that he thinks will provoke and anger people.  I honestly don't think he believes most of what he posts as long as he gets a rise out of someone.

Dismissing the capacity for a single valued leader to raise the level of performance from the people around them is ridiculous and he knows it. He just wants attention.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad Joe has such a soft, pansy-ass personality on short yardage plays.

Ninja

Actually it is ridiculous to claim Joe's personality has anything to do with us winning.  Didn't he have the same personality last year?

The team is better because the talent is better.  Not because of some magic vibe Joe just found this offseason.
Zac said it did on his Monday presser. Debate settled 
Reply/Quote
One of the big differences between now and a few years ago, it seems like we have less offensive plays where we have to call a timeout for some reason or other (wrong call, players confused, etc.)  It seems as if there's always 10 seconds to actually snap the ball once they get set.  That might have just been Marvin's fault.  Whatever Could just be this year's players that continue to gel together, but it doesn't seem so frustrating to watch now.  

As far as QB leadership styles go, I did like Dalton and Palmer, but they just don't seem to be cut from the same cloth as Boomer and Burrow.  Just a different attitude in my opinion.  I think we're very lucky to have the team that we have.  Not even one diva that I know of.  Great group of guys all around.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_358Pi3xWsQ
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Did Patton's 3rd Armor take on his personality. Better yet, the only reason Stonewall Jackson's Army was able to do what it did during the Shenandoah Campaign is because of his leadership and them taking on his personality. Men follow leaders. Always have.
Reply/Quote
From what I see there isn't really a swag. I see a team that is confident in themselves and each other. I don't see a whole lot of showboating after good plays.
You look at Burrow's pressers. Very down to earth, centered and honest. No look at me outfits, just a kid actually.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The one thing Andy was never quite able to do (and I was and am a big proponent of what he did for us) was become the emotional template for the offense. Burrow is doing it, and each week we see the offense taking on Burrow's own traits, They are smarter out there, tougher minded, confident without being cocky and aggressive. They are starting a bit to think like their QB, and that is something only the best QBs typically can accomplish.

That's how you see things like against Jax Burrow calls an audible into a play they hadn't even practiced and just assumes CJ will know what to do  - and he was right! He trusts his people to know what to do. He did similar stuff Sunday with both Chase and Uzo (again). The last Bengal QB to truly pull this off was actually Boomer.

I wont try to dig up the post but around draft time I made some stupid comment out Burrow being too cocky and I thought it would hold him back as a pro.  He made me nervous that he could end up being a bust.

I was so incredibly wrong about this kid.

He puts in the work and know what it takes to to win.  He doesn't dwell on mistakes but he learns from them.

I firmly believe the work ethic he puts in and the the effort you see him make on every single play has had a positive impact with his teammates and brought the best out of them.

Obviously the organization has surrounded him with talent built a good team for him but there is a lot to be said for how much team chemistry matters and how without it all the talent in the world can fail.

It's not as obvious with football but you can see it in the NBA.  Every year some city try's to buy a championship.  Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail.  Some players bring out the best in each other and some the worst.  It's not always true but it certainly helps.

Someones going to rattle off a list of exceptions now and thats fine.  You have it your way.  I for one and really happy to see this team having fun and giving each other credit for making block that opened up a TD or some other aspect of the game where their success was a byproduct of someone else's effort. 

These guys want to win together and I think Burrows attitude and emotional maturity are a big part of that.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:18 PM)sandwedge Wrote: From what I see there isn't really a swag. I see a team that is confident in themselves and each other. I don't see a whole lot of showboating after good plays.
You look at Burrow's pressers. Very down to earth, centered and honest. No look at me outfits, just a kid actually.
[Image: aobdfzloqd8n5mkwfsi1.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:21 PM)motoarch Wrote: I wont try to dig up the post but around draft time I made some stupid comment out Burrow being too cocky and I thought it would hold him back as a pro.  He made me nervous that he could end up being a bust.

He puts in the work and know what it takes to to win.  He doesn't dwell on mistake but he learns from them.

I firmly believe the work ethic he puts in the the effort you see him make on every single play has had a positive impact with his teammates and brought the best out of them.

Obviously the organization has surrounded him with talent built a good team for him but there is a lot to be said for how much team chemistry matter and how without it all the talent in the world can fail.

It's not as obvious with football but you can see it in the NBA.  Every year some city tried to buy a championship.  Sometimes team succeed, sometimes they fail.  Some players bring out the best in each other and some the worst.  It's not always true but it certainly helps.

Someones going to rattle off a list of exceptions now and thats fine.  You have it your way.  I for one and really happy to see this team having fun and giving each other credit for making block that opened up a TD or some other aspect of the game where their success was a byproduct of someone else's effort. 

These guys want to win together and I think Burrows attitude and emotional maturity are a big part of that.

Yep, Mixon credited Chase with his touchdown, CJ credited Sample with his. Burrow always credits his line in front of him and the defense. It's never "All about me" from any of these guys.
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/1COHlCoIqwo

Around the 4 minute mark here, former NFL player Marcus Spears says the Burrows confidence improves the team. So who do we believe? A former NFL player or Fred? Tough one.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 03:15 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: https://youtu.be/1COHlCoIqwo

Around the 4 minute mark here, former NFL player Marcus Spears says the Burrows confidence improves the team. So who do we believe? A former NFL player or Fred? Tough one.

Plenty of the team have said it too. Off top of my head chase, boyd, Hendrickson and CJ

Then on top of that you had joe involved in recruitment of a number of the free agents who said that his personality was one of the things that attracted to them to signing.

So it’s ex players, experts, coaching staff, new signings, existing team mates, former LSu team mates all saying it has a positive impact and Fred toast saying it doesn’t lol

Just an example: “ Reiff was the one being courted. And after a steak and a night with Burrow, he agreed to become his right tackle.

"I walked away from eating that steak and I was like, ‘I want to block for this guy,'" Reiff said on Friday.”
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: aobdfzloqd8n5mkwfsi1.jpg]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he didn't pick that out. That's why he's wearing a mask, so no one will know it's him. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 10:24 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I can never tell when he is being sarcastic, or just in a bad mood and wanting to argue for no reason.

He wasn't being sarcastic here, it is the latter. He gets this way sometimes.

(10-26-2021, 10:37 AM)G man Wrote: I think the problem when you are obsessed with statistics like he is you don’t understand the intangible factors like team leaders, confidence, team spirit etc because he can’t put a number on it. Burrow’s personality and the spirit amongst the team undoubtedly is having an impact on performances. You have to be an idiot not to see it

ThumbsUp

I am not calling Fred an idiot as he is a pretty smart guy most of the time but I find his argument here absurd.

(10-26-2021, 10:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is one of his worst takes to date. Of course his confidence rubs off on other players. Remember Joe Montana and John Candy?

Yep, Joe Cool calmed his entire team down to march down the field and beat us in the last seconds of our biggest game ever.

How can we not remember it?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:21 PM)motoarch Wrote: I wont try to dig up the post but around draft time I made some stupid comment out Burrow being too cocky and I thought it would hold him back as a pro.  He made me nervous that he could end up being a bust.

He puts in the work and know what it takes to to win.  He doesn't dwell on mistakes but he learns from them.

I firmly believe the work ethic he puts in and the the effort you see him make on every single play has had a positive impact with his teammates and brought the best out of them.

Obviously the organization has surrounded him with talent built a good team for him but there is a lot to be said for how much team chemistry matters and how without it all the talent in the world can fail.

It's not as obvious with football but you can see it in the NBA.  Every year some city try's to buy a championship.  Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail.  Some players bring out the best in each other and some the worst.  It's not always true but it certainly helps.

Awesome post. Always respect posters who can bring up when they were wrong and admit it later. I remember being in those
discussions with you and others and I saw a confident swag in Burrow that he has shown here. He just knows he will put in the
work and is always trying to be the best no matter what. This is what you want in every player, they are just really rare.

I think Joelist and most of us are correct that this is rubbing off on the rest of the team and vice versa when our D is playing its
ass off for us.
Reply/Quote
My grandson's experience on a baseball team with a horrible coach showed me the impact of leadership on a team. Once the clown got himself ejected, it was night and day how the team performed. It was like they were unshackled. You could have made a Bad Baseball Coach movie with that guy... . The kids are making their own travel team, and have a coach off of a nationally known team.
There was a lot of talent, just being held back. It's not a cliche that teams take on the traits of their leaders.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 08:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Johnny Manziel is a bad example, the OP did say confident without being cocky and aggressive

And drunk all the time....
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 10:37 AM)G man Wrote: I think the problem when you are obsessed with statistics like he is you don’t understand the intangible factors like team leaders, confidence, team spirit etc because he can’t put a number on it. Burrow’s personality and the spirit amongst the team undoubtedly is having an impact on performances. You have to be an idiot not to see it

I played football from 4th grade into college.  I understand "intangibles" as well as anyone.

I think the problem some people around here is the worship of Burrow makes them blind to what all the other players on the team are doing.

The team never got any more confident last year when  Burrow had the exact same personality that he has this year.  They are more confident this year because they have a much more talented and healthy team.

Just look at the won lost records.  You have to be an idiot to not see it.

And I 100% guarantee that if we had not upgraded our talent on offense and were still losing absolutely NONE of the Burrow sycophants would be claiming our losing record was the result of the the team taking on Joe's personality.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 03:15 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: https://youtu.be/1COHlCoIqwo

Around the 4 minute mark here, former NFL player Marcus Spears says the Burrows confidence improves the team. So who do we believe? A former NFL player or Fred?  Tough one.

You don't understand how things work around here.

When a former NFL player says anything bad about the Bengals he is stupid.

When a former players says something you agree with then his knowledge can not be challenged.

Wan to see a dozen examples of what I am talking about?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I played football from 4th grade into college.  I understand "intangibles" as well as anyone.

I think the problem some people around here is the worship of Burrow makes them blind to what all the other players on the team are doind.

The team never got any more confident last year when  Burrow had the exact same personality that he has this year.  They are more confident this year because they have a much more talented and healthy team.

Just look at the won lost records.  You have to be an idiot to not see it.

And you don't think that with 17 games under his belt, Burrow is a little more confident this year than he was last year, or that those playing with him have more confidence in him now?
Reply/Quote