Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The only way out of this cycle is to start all over
And I mean literally all over. Fire every coach and assistant along with the entire medical and training staff. When bringing in replacements a key criteria has to be no prior history whatsoever with the Bengals and especially with Marvin Lewis. This is because what needs to be changed is the culture.

As it stands now it doesn't matter who they get to play positions because the team culture is one of failure. They always have in the backs of their heads that they will find a way to lose. When we see receivers constantly in the wrong spots, giving up on plays and dropping balls, the horrid blocking, on defense the lack of effort and not finishing plays, the constant blown coverages and such it all speaks to a culture where success is not a priority. The team is not mentally tough and that comes from there top down.

If they actually do bring in a completely new staff the next step is to completely fix the OL, DL and LB units. And this will require big money for A List Free Agents as there are not enough draft spots to possibly select enough real players. Football is still won or lost on the lines and both our lines get dominated constantly. Until the lines are both elite there is no point is trying to fix anything else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love the idea, I think we all know that our owner/GM believes he's doing things the right way. He's had his mouthpiece (Hobson) tell us so for years.

To help expedite roster turnover and culture change, I'd explore trading players like Dalton, Bernard, Atkins and/or Dunlap, Burfict, and any other player we felt might actually bring something back.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 07:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: And I mean literally all over. Fire every coach and assistant along with the entire medical and training staff. When bringing in replacements a key criteria has to be no prior history whatsoever with the Bengals and especially with Marvin Lewis. This is because what needs to be changed is the culture.

As it stands now it doesn't matter who they get to play positions because the team culture is one of failure. They always have in the backs of their heads that they will find a way to lose. When we see receivers constantly in the wrong spots, giving up on plays and dropping balls, the horrid blocking, on defense the lack of effort and not finishing plays, the constant blown coverages and such it all speaks to a culture where success is not a priority. The team is not mentally tough and that comes from there top down.

If they actually do bring in a completely new staff the next step is to completely fix the OL, DL and LB units. And this will require big money for A List Free Agents as there are not enough draft spots to possibly select enough real players. Football is still won or lost on the lines and both our lines get dominated constantly. Until the lines are both elite there is no point is trying to fix anything else.

Until Mike fires himself it’s rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I have much better fantasies none of which include the Bengals.  Just because children might be reading I'm not going to mention my personal top 1000.. but I will mention some may include carnal activities . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This article sums it up well

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/25/18111351/nfl-news-bengals-should-fire-marvin-lewis-browns
Reply/Quote
If haslem stays out of the way and let’s the football people do their thing the Browns are well on their way through the rebuilding process.

Mikey will continue to do things his way like a hamster in his wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 09:09 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: If haslem stays out of the way and let’s the football people do their thing the Browns are well on their way through the rebuilding process.

Well the Browns brought in Dorsey who is a legit GM. They kept changing things until they got the right mix.

The Bengals...well they do the same thing over and over...and view even making the playoffs as validation that their model works.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 09:09 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: If haslem stays out of the way and let’s the football people do their thing the Browns are well on their way through the rebuilding process.

The Browns aren't that special.  The Bengals just made them look like it.  The Browns weren't even challenged until the second half.  If the Bengals had played like they cared, it would have been different. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't think they'll do it but that doesn't mean it isn't what needs to be done. The only way to turn this franchise around is to change its mentality and culture - and that starts at the top not with the players. Players cannot change a team when the coaches and other leadership are bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 07:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: And I mean literally all over. Fire every coach and assistant along with the entire medical and training staff. When bringing in replacements a key criteria has to be no prior history whatsoever with the Bengals and especially with Marvin Lewis. This is because what needs to be changed is the culture.

Great idea and I totally agree with you. Paul Brown fired the entire coaching staff back in the 70s when Home Rice went 0-6. Mike Brown would never do that.
Reply/Quote

Great idea and I totally agree with you. Paul Brown fire the entire coaching staff back in the 70s when Home Rice went 0-6. Mike Brown would never do that.
Reply/Quote
So we fire the coaches and decide to rebuild. That means we trade guys for draft picks.

AND...

It also means that our GM that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years is calling the shots still...with our small scouting department.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 09:17 PM)McC Wrote: The Browns aren't that special.  The Bengals just made them look like it.  The Browns weren't even challenged until the second half.  If the Bengals had played like they cared, it would have been different. 

This loss is directly on Coach Lewis, possibly based on Coach Jackson's advice.

The game plan didn't respect Mayfield. Yes, the Team succeeded in stopping Chubb - as they were asked. 

But Mayfield did his job well.

So, yes. This loss is NOT on the player.
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff offices need to be flushed out with an extra soapy warm water enema. Clean house. Start over with competent, proven winners.
Reply/Quote

Totally agree, but it's kinda like wishing for that mini-bike for Christmas 50 years ago...no matter how badly I want it, it's never gonna happen!
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 10:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The coaching staff offices need to be flushed out with an extra soapy warm water enema.  Clean house.  Start over with competent, proven winners.

Would love to see this team get a totally fresh start. Unfortunately nobody can fire MB so that's the best we can hope for.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 09:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we fire the coaches and decide to rebuild. That means we trade guys for draft picks.

AND...

It also means that our GM that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years is calling the shots still...with our small scouting department.

True, but they could listen to the talking heads and use their draft recommendations. It would be hard to make worse draft picks than Cleveland did as they were rebuilding up until the more recent ones. When they used a first rounder on that old man QB nobody had ever heard of, I think it gave us a false sense of security about our own draft picks. For the longest time the one team nobody could predict draft picks for, it was the Browns!
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 09:17 PM)McC Wrote: The Browns aren't that special.  The Bengals just made them look like it.  The Browns weren't even challenged until the second half.  If the Bengals had played like they cared, it would have been different. 

I'm not saying the Browns are special.  They do have an underrated defense that has sustained a few injuries.  The have their qb and rb of the future and they have some good, young skill position players. They are finally trending in the right direction.  Now they'll blow it and hire condoleeza rice.

We will have to hang our hat on approximately 10 draft picks next year
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 10:22 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: True, but they could listen to the talking heads and use their draft recommendations. It would be hard to make worse draft picks than Cleveland did as they were rebuilding up until the more recent ones. When they used a first rounder on that old man QB nobody had ever heard of, I think it gave us a false sense of security about our own draft picks. For the longest time the one team nobody could predict draft picks for, it was the Browns!

From what I read, in the 90's they didn't send many scouts to college games and just subscribed to the publications. I fear they still do that.

Who knows really?
Reply/Quote
You have all lost your minds! Were still in the playoff hunt! Why fire anyone when we are still have a chance to get that wildcard? Mr. Toast should be arriving shortly to set all you non-believers straight. Geez, your all just a bunch of giver-uppers and non fans! Boo!
Reply/Quote