Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The price of decent suits
In general I do not spend a lot of money on clothes.  I think it is insane to pay hundreds of dollars for basketball shoes or designer prices for shorts or other casual wear.  But I do have to dress well for my job, and I can tell the difference between a cheap suit and a good one.

I buy all my work suites through Jos. A Banks.  It is amazing how much they reduce their prices.  I just bought two suites that were listed for $1325 for $150.  You can barely get one cheap suit from Penny's for $150.  And they have a large selstion.  Just look.

http://www.josbank.com/clearance-suits#facet::ads_f2_ntk_cs%3A%2250+Regular%22&productBeginIndex::0&orderBy::&pageView::grid&minPrice::&maxPrice::&pageSize::&

And the best thing is that they are shipped to the dstore where they can be adjusted to fit properly.  Even a nice suit looks like crap if it does not fit properly.  But 90% of the time the jackets I order fit fine, and my mother can hem the pants to the proper length and add buttons for braces.  If you had every suit tailored to fit then you would pay a good bit more, but I know my size and what cuts fit me properly.

I do get the permanent crease added to the pants, but that only cost an extra $10.  So I actually paid $170 for those two suites.  Shipping to the store is free.

I can't imagin anyone pays full price for these suites off the rack.  That would be insane.

I just don't know how they can sell these good suites this cheap.
Reply/Quote
Just noticed that the prices listed in my link are a little higher than I paid.

When I ordered last night it was some sort of "preview special". They send send me emails all the time about these promotions. It seems like they have one of thses huge sells every few weeks.

I got this suit for FORTY-NINE dollars. That is just crazy. It is hard to find a good dress shirt for $49.

http://www.josbank.com/natural-stretch-2-button-poplin-suit-clearance-3JK3C

And I got this one for $99.

http://www.josbank.com/traveler-traditional-fit-2-button-plain-front-suit-big-tall-sizes-clearance
Reply/Quote
I wear tee shirts and blue jeans to my work.  I'll only wear one suit, and that'll be the one they put me in when they haul me away in the Cadillac.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 12:48 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I wear tee shirts and blue jeans to my work. 

And I bet you don't pay $100 for a pair of jeans either.

I usually make do with just a grey and a navy suite.  Sometimes I buy a random colored one.  I just got that tan one because it was so damn cheap.  But I like to stick to grey and navy because with a white shirt just ab out any tie will look good.  One time I had a nice deep forest green suite that I liked a lot, but it was difficult to get ties that looked right with it.  I pretty much had to be wearing the suite to find a tie that matched it or contrasted properly.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I bet you don't pay $100 for a pair of jeans either.

I usually make do with just a grey and a navy suite.  Sometimes I buy a random colored one.  I just got that tan one because it was so damn cheap.  But I like to stick to grey and navy because with a white shirt just ab out any tie will look good.  One time I had a nice deep forest green suite that I liked a lot, but it was difficult to get ties that looked right with it.  I pretty much had to be wearing the suite to find a tie that matched it or contrasted properly.

Oh hell no.  Usually get whatever is on sale at JCP's or G&L Clothing.  $50 tops for a new pair of jeans.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Thanks for the links, will definitely look into picking up one or 2. Don't have to wear one too often to work, but unfortunately at my age you usually have to have a black one available more often
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm a cheapskate, when it comes to clothing.
I buy at Goodwill, closeout stores, and irregular/surplus stores.
I also shop the clearance racks at Kohl's, rarely paying over $5 for shirts or $10 for pants.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
As a (relatively) young guy looking to move up in the world before too long, a tailored suit is definitely on my radar. I'm thinking perhaps come tax return time.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:25 PM)treee Wrote: As a (relatively) young guy looking to move up in the world before too long, a tailored suit is definitely on my radar. I'm thinking perhaps come tax return time.

You will know that you've finally made it when you don't have to dress up to go to work

Reply/Quote
When comparing a pair of $50 non-brand pair of shoes to a $100 pair of Nike's, there's definitely a difference. Same goes with a $30 brand name workout shirt and the $10 store brand. I'll pay $25 for Under Armour compression shorts all day; the $12 store brand just isn't going to cut it. But those are small prices to pay for something that is that much more comfortable and will last a long time.

The price difference between a $80 to $100 pair of Jordans and the $250 pair has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and perception.

Parents who buy there kids $100 t-shirts because it's the cool, preppy name brand aren't intelligent enough to raise kids. It
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You will know that you've finally made it when you don't have to dress up to go to work

That's definitely the goal. I'd be happy with jeans and a button-up tee. But a suit would definitely help with getting a job in the first place. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote:  Same goes with a $30 brand name workout shirt and the $10 store brand. I'll pay $25 for Under Armour compression shorts all day; the $12 store brand just isn't going to cut it. But those are small prices to pay for something that is that much more comfortable and will last a long time.

I don't see any difference in level of comfort, and unless you buy the "flea market" level cheap t shirts i don't see any difference in durability.

But one time I was on vacation and bought a t-shirt in a souvenir shop that practically fell apart the first time I washed it.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 03:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm a cheapskate, when it comes to clothing.
I buy at Goodwill, closeout stores, and irregular/surplus stores.
I also shop the clearance racks at Kohl's, rarely paying over $5 for shirts or $10 for pants.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I still buy clothes at thrift stores.  Can't always find good stuff, but it never hurts to look.  I have an awesome pair of Merrell hiking boots that were almost like new and cost me $7.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote: When comparing a pair of $50 non-brand pair of shoes to a $100 pair of Nike's, there's definitely a difference. Same goes with a $30 brand name workout shirt and the $10 store brand. I'll pay $25 for Under Armour compression shorts all day; the $12 store brand just isn't going to cut it. But those are small prices to pay for something that is that much more comfortable and will last a long time.

The price difference between a $80 to $100 pair of Jordans and the $250 pair has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and perception.

Parents who buy there kids $100 t-shirts because it's the cool, preppy name brand aren't intelligent enough to raise kids. It

As to reasonable workout shirts; I would recommend Old Navy online. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote: When comparing a pair of $50 non-brand pair of shoes to a $100 pair of Nike's, there's definitely a difference. . It

Although I disagree about the shorts and shirts I agree that it is worth it to spend some money on good shoes.

Also agree that once you get over $80 bucks or so there isn't much difference.

My girls are young and their feet grow fast.  I used to think that it was not worth it to spend a lot on shoes because they will outgrow them before they wear them out.  But I would buy cheap shoes and they would be coming apart in weeks.

If you buy athletic shoes just to wear to the mall then they might last a while, but if you run or play sports they will fall apart in no time.
Reply/Quote
I don't wear suits to work. Only the admins and subs in their 70's do. I just don't see the need to spend the money when I do not need to and I am not paid enough to justify having enough suits for the whole week.

I like suits, but only for special occasions (wedding, funerals, etc). I have 3 total (black, blue, and grey). 1 was a gift from my uncle for graduating college and it was from Mens Wearhouse. I'm not sure what he paid, but he got one free. They measured me and of course it still didn't fit right and they had to alter it... The other two were off the rack at Kohls and I paid about $100. Like Fred said, it's gotta fit or else it looks bad. I should probably get those two altered, the shoulders could fit better.

My only issue with suits is the pants. They're so baggy. I like more modern cut pants that aren't as loose. But I'll be 30 this (school) year, so I figured it's time to start dressing more professionally. No more khakis, button down, and sneakers. I went out and got a ton of dress pants and some newer dress shirts.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
As far as spending money on clothes, I shop almost exclusively at old navy. There's an outlet store 15 minutes away, so they have a lot for cheap. Good quality shorts, jeans, khakis, button downs, work out clothes. For T shirts, I just buy the $3.50 hanes shirts at Walmart. They're plain and I can get 10 colors for the price of 2 shirts at another store.

Shoes I am willing to spend money on. I have big feet and they hurt if I wear crappy shoes. You also wear shoes multiple days in a row, so you should spend more on them.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I bought my last suit at Jos. A. Banks. I like their dress shirts for work. However, I think they massively inflate the "regular" price so when they tell you how much you saved it seems like you got a bargain. For most everything thing else I'll shop at J.C.Pennys, TJMax, or Burlington.

For shoes, I usually go to Rack Room for the buy one get one half off deal.

For clothes I've bought for farming, camping, construction, spelunking, or whatever I go to Goodwill for decent used clothes at a very good price. Plus I know the money I spend there will go towards job training for someone else in need.
Reply/Quote
I take that back.  I did buy a suit once.  My one and only suit came from Goodwill.  I dressed up as a Blue's Brother for Halloween one year and found a suit that was close to my size and paid $5 (sports coat, white shirt, black slacks) for it.  Done and done. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 05:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I take that back.  I did buy a suit once.  My one and only suit came from Goodwill.  I dressed up as a Blue's Brother for Halloween one year and found a suit that was close to my size and paid $5 (sports coat, white shirt, black slacks) for it.  Done and done. 

Blue's Brothers security:

[Image: 1010512_10201360511041904_1635624601_n.j...e=58120E65]

Reply/Quote