Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The price of decent suits
(08-16-2016, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Although I disagree about the shorts and shirts I agree that it is worth it to spend some money on good shoes.

Also agree that once you get over $80 bucks or so there isn't much difference.

My girls are young and their feet grow fast.  I used to think that it was not worth it to spend a lot on shoes because they will outgrow them before they wear them out.  But I would buy cheap shoes and they would be coming apart in weeks.

If you buy athletic shoes just to wear to the mall then they might last a while, but if you run or play sports they will fall apart in no time.

For regular cotton t-shirts, name brands are probably a little be ticker with tighter stitching, but I personally prefer just a plain Hanes because it's looser and softer. Same goes with boxer and boxer briefs. Target brand and Hanes all the way.

Any athletic t-shirt that's supposed to transfer heat and resist sweat just isn't the same quality if you go store brand. I never liked tight compression shorts and had no interest in trying a pair. I tried a pair of Nikes and loved the feel and comfort. I only wear those to the gym now and like wearing them other times as well. A cheap store brand won't be is soft, a lot more rigid and possibly out of portion in the wrong spots.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 11:57 AM)6andcounting Wrote:  Target brand and Hanes all the way.

But maybe a few pairs of CK for the ladies...
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 02:16 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But maybe a few pairs of CK for the ladies

Do the "ladies" (plural) make a habit of inspecting your garment labels?
Reply/Quote
Jos a Bank doesnt reduce the prices of their suits, they offer them for a price that they are actually worth.

You arent getting a good "deal", you are just buying into their marketing gimmicks.

Its the same thing when my wife goes to Kohls. "Look honey, I got this new blanket that was originally 150 dollars for only 25!"

Jos a Bank has decent suits for what they are, but if you want a really good suit at a good price, check out suit supply.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/home
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I bet you don't pay $100 for a pair of jeans either.

I usually make do with just a grey and a navy suite.  Sometimes I buy a random colored one.  I just got that tan one because it was so damn cheap.  But I like to stick to grey and navy because with a white shirt just ab out any tie will look good.  One time I had a nice deep forest green suite that I liked a lot, but it was difficult to get ties that looked right with it.  I pretty much had to be wearing the suite to find a tie that matched it or contrasted properly.

Dont underestimate the value and quality that a nice pair of denim presents. You CAN tell the difference between a $20 pair of jeans vs. a $100 pair. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:39 PM)6andcounting Wrote: When comparing a pair of $50 non-brand pair of shoes to a $100 pair of Nike's, there's definitely a difference. Same goes with a $30 brand name workout shirt and the $10 store brand. I'll pay $25 for Under Armour compression shorts all day; the $12 store brand just isn't going to cut it. But those are small prices to pay for something that is that much more comfortable and will last a long time.

The price difference between a $80 to $100 pair of Jordans and the $250 pair has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and perception.

Parents who buy there kids $100 t-shirts because it's the cool, preppy name brand aren't intelligent enough to raise kids. It

Couldnt agree with this more. When it comes to clothing, ill pay for quality. What I wont pay for is brands hiking up the cost due to branding alone. (Lacoste and Jordan brand comes to mind). 

One of my favorite stores is J Crew. Great quality, zero branding, and at a solid price point.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 12:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jos a Bank doesnt reduce the prices of their suits, they offer them for a price that they are actually worth.

You arent getting a good "deal", you are just buying into their marketing gimmicks.

Its the same thing when my wife goes to Kohls. "Look honey, I got this new blanket that was originally 150 dollars for only 25!"

Jos a Bank has decent suits, but if you want a really good suit at a good price, check out suit supply.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/home

Impossible to tell if these suits are any better than Jos A Banks from just looking at them.  You need to see how they are lined and constructed to know if they are really of higher quality.

Are they full canvassed, half canvassed, or fused?

Are the waistbands re-enforced for braces?

Do the pants have a permanent crease?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Impossible to tell if these suits are any better than Jos A Banks from just looking at them.  You need to see how they are lined and constructed to know if they are really of higher quality.

Are they full canvassed, half canvassed, or fused?

Are the waistbands re-enforced for braces?

Do the pants have a permanent crease?

I have bought from them before. I believe all of their suits are fully canvased. You can find more info about their suits here:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/about-our-suits.html

Im not ripping department store suits or suits you buy from a wholesaler. I have also bought suits from retailers such as Macys. They are nice suits that I wear, but the quality or look just isnt comparable to what I have bought from suit supply. 
Reply/Quote