Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The real reason we are not playing tomorrow
It's ironic that I'm writing this, given how critical of Andy I've been over the years. However, I believe that if Andy doesn't make that boneheaded interception against the Steelers, we'd most likely be in the AFC Championship game. As close as we played teams with AJ at QB, I can't help thinking that we would have one at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - guaranteeing us either the 1 or 2 seed.

Losing Andy is why this season went in the toilet (not the last 2-minutes of the Wildcard game). One seriously stupid play and ensuing tackle, and there goes the season. Winning a Super Bowl is about 75% talent and 25% luck (good bounces, calls going your way, avoiding key injuries).
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 01:04 AM)Utts Wrote: It's ironic that I'm writing this, given how critical of Andy I've been over the years. However, I believe that if Andy doesn't make that boneheaded interception against the Steelers, we'd most likely be in the AFC Championship game. As close as we played teams with AJ at QB, I can't help thinking that we would have one at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - guaranteeing us either the 1 or 2 seed.

Losing Andy is why this season went in the toilet (not the last 2-minutes of the Wildcard game). One seriously stupid play and ensuing tackle, and there goes the season. Winning a Super Bowl is about 75% talent and 25% luck (good bounces, calls going your way, avoiding key injuries).

Just another "if" to add to the list of incredibly long Bengals "ifs". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 11:49 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just another "if" to add to the list of incredibly long Bengals "ifs". 

Actually this year wad the biggest "if" since Krumrie broke his leg in the first quarter of the Super Bowl.  Think of our defense without Geno Atkins and the difference he might make in a 4 point loss.

The '05 team was a big if, but I don't think they were a real Super Bowl threat. 

There are smaller "ifs" about almost all our recent postseason failures, but since we have rarely even come close to winning none of the "ifs" have been big enough to make a difference.  

The '14 team could have been really good but it would have taken a few "ifs" instead of just one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually this year wad the biggest "if" since Krumrie broke his leg in the first quarter of the Super Bowl.  Think of our defense without Geno Atkins and the difference he might make in a 4 point loss.

The '05 team was a big if, but I don't think they were a real Super Bowl threat. 

There are smaller "ifs" about almost all our recent postseason failures, but since we have rarely even come close to winning none of the "ifs" have been big enough to make a difference.  

The '14 team could have been really good but it would have taken a few "ifs" instead of just one. 

Greg Cook
Bill Walsh
1st and goal in SBXVI
Steve Young
Stanley Wilson
Tim Krumrie
1st and 10 from their own 8 with 3:10 left in SBXXIII
Carson Palmer in '05
Missed pass in the EZ to Green in '12
Train wreck at home against the Chargers in '13
Andy Dalton thumb
Hill fumble

Those are just right off the top of my head. Some of those ifs are just a possibly better season/team or to simply win 1 playoff game but the basket of ifs for the Bengals could probably fill a dumpster if you really sat down and thought about it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Bo knows curses.

Please free us, Bo. FFS
Reply/Quote
The real reason we are not playing today is because of two knuckleheads. Burfict and Jones.
Reply/Quote
We should draft If Iffy.. Didn't he play for Ohio State last year?
Maybe our team motto ought to be Woulda Coulda Shoulda..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I got another if for ya:

IF Dalton doesn't break his thumb and IF he plays like he normally does in the postseason THEN the game isn't even close.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 12:36 PM)BengalRed Wrote: The real reason we are not playing today is because of two knuckleheads. Burfict and Jones.

You mean the two guys who played the biggest part in holding the #4 scoring defense to 15 points (despite the offense turning the ball over 3 times at that point) AND forcing both of the turnovers in order to allow the Bengals to have the ball in Steelers territory with a lead and only 90 or so seconds to go?

Yeah, sounds like they are totally the real reason. Good call. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 01:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean the two guys who played the biggest part in holding the #4 scoring defense to 15 points (despite the offense turning the ball over 3 times at that point) AND forcing both of the turnovers in order to allow the Bengals to have the ball in Steelers territory with a lead and only 90 or so seconds to go?

Yep IF Hill didn't fumble they wouldn't have gotten the chance to lose the game on penalties. But Hill did fumble and they cost us the game on penalties. 

IF it wasn't raining...
IF it wasn't AJ
IF IF IF

Who cares? We all watched it, just get over it. No post will change the outcome now.
Reply/Quote
Whatever.

The real reasons...

• McCarron fumbled the first round bye away against Denver
  • Hill fumbled the wild card game away against Pitt
  • Burfict and Jones can't control themselves

Anything else is just hot air. We had our chances without Andy and we still blew it.
Reply/Quote
The real reason we ain't playing.. We didn't win the game.. Just in case some of you missed that part..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 01:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean the two guys who played the biggest part in holding the #4 scoring defense to 15 points (despite the offense turning the ball over 3 times at that point) AND forcing both of the turnovers in order to allow the Bengals to have the ball in Steelers territory with a lead and only 90 or so seconds to go?

Yes. Those were the last two things that the Bengals did that affected the outcome of the game, so yeah if they hadn't done those two things we most likely would have won.    Ninja right back at cha.
Reply/Quote
I love how Hill has been vilified while McCarron's fumble that led to a FG for Pitt is practically ignored. We had a 1st and 10 at the Steelers' 29 yard line when McCarron fumbled, so we're talking a 6 or 10 point swing there. Instead of a possible 7-6 lead, our deficit increased to 9-0.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 01:04 AM)Utts Wrote: It's ironic that I'm writing this, given how critical of Andy I've been over the years. However, I believe that if Andy doesn't make that boneheaded interception against the Steelers, we'd most likely be in the AFC Championship game. As close as we played teams with AJ at QB, I can't help thinking that we would have one at least 1-2 more games down the stretch - guaranteeing us either the 1 or 2 seed.

I agree with you Utts for once.

We win the #1 seed with Dalton cause we would of beat the Steelers and the Broncos with him.

Too bad, next year...

Hate these words. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 02:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I love how Hill has been vilified while McCarron's fumble that led to a FG for Pitt is practically ignored. We had a 1st and 10 at the Steelers' 29 yard line when McCarron fumbled, so we're talking a 6 or 10 point swing there. Instead of a possible 7-6 lead, our deficit increased to 9-0.
Agreed that AJ's fumble was bad, but the timing of Hill's is what makes it so painful. To not hold on to the ball in that situation and near the end of the game is hard to swallow.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 03:00 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Agreed that AJ's fumble was bad, but the timing of Hill's is what makes it so painful. To not hold on to the ball in that situation and near the end of the game is hard to swallow.

Timing is what makes you stand out no question.

If Burfict took out Brown early in the game there would not be near the outcry.

Same if Hill fumbled early instead of late.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 02:05 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Anything else is just hot air. We had our chances without Andy and we still blew it.

Except without Andy there's no way we win the Super Bowl, or even get to it IMO.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote

While Andy was having a great season, the terrible throw that led to his injury was yet another head-scratching moment in Daltons career. Even if Dalton plays the rest of the game, I don't know that they beat the Steelers that day.

Hypothetically speaking, if Dalton does play the rest of the season and into the playoffs, does he win? I guess we will never know. I see the Bengals taking a step back next season and Dalton will have to take yet another step forward for this team to be in the same position next year.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote