Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real reasons the Bengals will beat the Steelers
1. For some reason, the Steelers often fall prey to trap games, and this game certainly qualifies. This is a relatively meaningless game for them, and with games with the Patriots and Ravens (who the team and fans consider a much greater rivalry) coming up, it will be very easy for them to be looking ahead and past this game. They may even rest some players that are dinged up, to get them ready for the end of season push.  For the Bengals, this game  approaches playoff status in terms of importance and what it means to the overall success of the season. It's a "we got nothing to lose" type game and an opportunity to establish a new identity on national TV. For many, a win Monday night against the Steelers, goes a long way in making the rest of the season a little more bearable, and keeps playoff hopes alive. Look for the Bengals to be sky high, and the Steelers to be flat.

2. The Steelers have some very key players out that greatly benefit the Bengals. First, CB Joe Hayden, who has been AJ Green's kryptonite over the years, will not play and is done for the season. Without him, the Steeler secondary reverts back to mediocre (at best) with a huge drop off by his replacement. I think they have at least 1, if not 2, rookies back there. In the last few games we've seen them break down and leave WR's wide open. Look for AJ to have a big game. Vance McDonald, their best TE, and JU JU Shuster, their latest rookie WR phenom will probably not play. Marcus Gilbert, the suspended OT, was a key to Pgh's run game. Based on last Sunday night's game, Bell will find the middle slow going, and Ben will have to dodge rushers unless Gilbert's replacement gets a lot better this week.

3. I don't believe the the Steelers are as good as their 9-2 record would suggest, and are actually just good enough win against a schedule of unusually weak opponents. The entire AFC is a disappointment this season, and the Steeler's record is more of a testament to how weak most of their opponents have been as opposed to how good they are. For them to need a last second FG to beat a Packers team that position by position, they should have outmatched, at home, in primetime, is pretty telling.

4. The Bengals appear to be coming together and improving in several areas. Even the much-maligned OL seems to be finally asserting themselves. If that continues this week, the Bengal's strengths will line up very well against Pgh's weaknesses.

5. Being a Monday night game should keep the amount of fans traveling in from Pgh in check. I'm basing that on talking to family and business associates in and around PGH that normally come to PBS for 1:00 games w/ the Steelers.  I'm expecting the loudest, most electric Bengal crowd this year and the players will respond to it.

The possible downside to all this: as much as a loss to the Steelers at this point should be the last nail in the coffin, a win against the division leading Steelers, on Monday Night Football, going to a 3 game win streak with more winnable games to follow, could be enough to keep Marvin around.
Reply/Quote
I wish you would say 'Because the Bengals click on both sides of the ball and outplay them.'

When you look for factors like the other team having injuries or their fans not coming to your stadium...you're making a wish for things you don't control.
Reply/Quote
Here's hoping.
Reply/Quote
No way they look past the Bengals. The Steelers enjoy pummeling them too much.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It all comes down to the line play on both sides.

If there is no pressure on Big Ben he is going to pick our secondary apart.

I can hope but I have seen this same play act out over and over for the last 15 years.

My best guess- a close game and their kicker hits a field goal in last minute to win game for Steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
John Breech of CBSsports.com seems to think the Bengals pull off the upset, although I think he just picked Bengals because his dad is being honored at halftime (I never realized he was Jim's son until reading this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-13-picks-saints-beat-panthers-in-nfc-showdown-bengals-shock-steelers/

Quote:My entire family lives in Cincinnati, which I'm only telling you because I'll be visiting them this week. Also, I'll be at this game Monday night, mainly because I've always wanted to witness an Andy Dalton prime-time meltdown in person.

Actually, the real reason I'm attending this game is because my dad is one of several former Bengals players being honored at halftime and I would be the worst son ever if I didn't go.

During the offseason, he was voted the fifth-best Bengals player of all-time, which is a victory for kickers everywhere because kickers never get voted into the top five of anything. I could probably write an entire book about his NFL career, but since I don't have that kind of space here, I'll just briefly mention Super Bowl XXIII.

If you've ever seen any highlights from Super Bowl XXIII, one of those highlights was probably Joe Montana throwing the winning touchdown to John Taylor with 34 seconds left to play that put the 49ers on top 20-16. What most people don't know is that if Montana had failed on that drive, my dad likely would've been voted Super Bowl MVP and I likely would've turned out more insufferable than I already am. He scored 10 of the Bengals' 16 points in the game and the only points he didn't score came on a kickoff return for a touchdown. The Bengals' offense sputtered and the defense surrendered more than 400 yards.

Basically, the stars perfectly aligned for a kicker to possibly win the MVP. Just ask Boomer Esiason. The 1988 NFL MVP, who was the Bengals' quarterback in the game, says it was pretty clear who would've won the MVP if the Bengals had won.

The Bengals didn't win, though.

Although he has been retired since 1992, my dad does still hold one NFL record: Most overtime field goals without a miss.
By the way, if you want to know how long it has been since the Bengals won a playoff game, my dad was the last Bengals player to score a point in a Bengals playoff victory. Again, he hasn't played since 1992.

As for that Dalton prime-time meltdown, I actually don't think it's going to happen. Believe it or not, Dalton is actually the only starting quarterback who hasn't thrown an interception since Week 8. In that span, he has thrown for nine touchdowns and zero interceptions, which are numbers I didn't believe until I looked them up, and even after looking them up, I still didn't believe them.

Since I don't want my family to disown me and I want to make it out of Cincinnati alive, I'm taking the Bengals, and because I just spent 150 words writing about a kicker, I'm going to say they win by a field goal.

The pick: Bengals 23-20 over Steelers
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can the Bengals maintain composure for the full 60 minutes? I just dont see it happening. Not to mention the Steelers have overall better talent and coaching than the Bengals do. If the Bengals win, it will definitely be an upset at home on MNF.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wish you would say 'Because the Bengals click on both sides of the ball and outplay them.'

When you look for factors like the other team having injuries or their fans not coming to your stadium...you're making a wish for things you don't control.

On the contrary. I have no logical reason or recent history to conclude that the "Bengals will click on both sides of the ball and outplay them." They may, but what is there to base that conclusion on?  THAT'S the wish.

The injuries, etc, on the other hand, are real and the logical results from them are much closer to reality then just blindly wishing The Bengals outplay them.
Reply/Quote
Actually a lot of good points from the OP, reps.

I don't see us winning this game cause of Marv and our primetime record but i do think it will be a lot closer than
most are thinking. The refs most likely will affect this game in a negative way for us too. But honestly your last
statement made me cringe more than anything and almost has me hoping for a normal Steeler beatdown.

This guy named Marvin Lewis and the piano man both HAVE to be gone after this season for any future hope.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: John Breech of CBSsports.com seems to think the Bengals pull off the upset, although I think he just picked Bengals because his dad is being honored at halftime (I never realized he was Jim's son until reading this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-13-picks-saints-beat-panthers-in-nfc-showdown-bengals-shock-steelers/

Which is probably why he is so jaded with the Bengals....lol.

Anywho, I think a lot of these writers need to do some research before they spout off at the mouth....journalism is truly dead.  Narratives and half truths are what we go by now.  As you've shown in your sig, Dalton has finally overcome the prime time meltdowns.  Of course, this knucklehead (with his mention of 9 games without an INT), and maybe myself have just jinxed him, but I disgress......

Playoff issues nothwithstanding.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
What's Marvins record in PT games again?
What's Marvins record against the Steelers again?

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 04:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which is probably why he is so jaded with the Bengals....lol.

Anywho, I think a lot of these writers need to do some research before they spout off at the mouth....journalism is truly dead.  Narratives and half truths are what we go by now.  As you've shown in your sig, Dalton has finally overcome the prime time meltdowns.  Of course, this knucklehead (with his mention of 9 games without an INT), and maybe myself have just jinxed him, but I disgress......

Playoff issues nothwithstanding.......
That's funny, because they showed that bit of info last Sunday about Andy being right behind Brady for most passes without and INT and I wanted to throw the damn TV out the door then. Kudos to Andy for not being jinxed!!! 
Reply/Quote
I have a bad feeling that the Steelers will play their best game of the year and get one more ass-whupping of Marvin before he retires as Bengals coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 05:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's funny, because they showed that bit of info last Sunday about Andy being right behind Brady for most passes without and INT and I wanted to throw the damn TV out the door then. Kudos to Andy for not being jinxed!!! 

Ha ha ha.....yeah, I thought the same thing!  It may have Bullock at Jax, or some other kicker, but before the poor guy shanked one, they put up a stat about consecutive PATs.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Really interesting that we look for the Steelers to make mistakes to beat them rather than the Bengals to play well on both sides of the ball. Telling really.
Reply/Quote
I would love to believe that this is the year that they win games like this one, but history says “don’t hold your breath”.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 04:41 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: What's Marvins record in PT games again?
What's Marvins record against the Steelers again?

Stoolers at home
2-14

All you need to know
about Giggles!
Reply/Quote
Want to see Geno pummel Ben into retirement.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 05:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really interesting that we look for the Steelers to make mistakes to beat them rather than the Bengals to play well on both sides of the ball. Telling really.

Well yeah!!! Ninja
Reply/Quote
these dudes have been clowning us on twitter, interviews, and even in celebrations when they aren't playing us. If we don't go out an mollywhop them on our field then it's just time to move on from the core and coaching of this team.
Reply/Quote