Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of denial and anti-intellectualism in the US
(10-06-2016, 10:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: do you support these standards that dictate that students must learn the skills you're claiming schools do not teach?

Apparently Sunset has proven another point about anti-intellectualism.
(10-07-2016, 07:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I waffle on this. I would like consumers to be informed, but on the same hand people are stupid. But then do we trust companies to continue using GMOs responsibly? It's a tough call, really. We've had GMOs in our diet for centuries, so the big to do about it is way overblown, but still, capitalism being what it is...

I agree people are stupid, many companies aren't trustworthy, and the GMO fear is overblown.  However, if stupid people want to avoid buying certain products based upon the ingredients I think they should be able to do so. People have the right to decline vaccinations. I have to deal with people every week with "AMA" issues, against medical advice. Sometimes it's flat out ridiculous. But, we have the right to self determination, correct?  Sometimes the best we can do is give them the information. 
This really does crack me up.

The right talks about science despite clearly not having read any. The left ridicules the right, based on science, despite not understanding what actual science is.

And so the takeaway is that you feel REALLY STRONGLY about the science you've been told to believe in...and everything else is the result of the "echo chamber"?!?
--------------------------------------------------------

(10-09-2016, 03:23 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This really does crack me up.

The right talks about science despite clearly not having read any.  The left ridicules the right, based on science, despite not understanding what actual science is.

And so the takeaway is that you feel REALLY STRONGLY about the science you've been told to  believe in...and everything else is the result of the "echo chamber"?!?

Compare and contrast science and actual science. 
(10-06-2016, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Blame public schooling.  They have dumbed down the curriculum so much, so that the lowest achievers can still pass, that kids of average and above intelligence are no longer taught critical thinking skills, so as to be able to form their own opinions from being presented facts.

The curriculums haven't been dumbed down. As a matter of fact its just the opposite. The curriculums have been expanded to include so much more at each grade level that there is little to no time for teachers to go into any kind of depth when exploring each topic. That is one of the reasons that they are no longer teaching cursive writing at the elementary level. Teachers no longer have the time to go through the proper teaching cycle of learning how to write each letter in capital an lower case, and then how to link them all. They are required to teach so much more that they cannot devote the number of days needed to teach it. And that is just one example.
(10-09-2016, 09:21 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Compare and contrast science and actual science. 

"Actual science" produces results that JustWin agrees with.
(10-09-2016, 10:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Actual science" produces results that JustWin agrees with.

Actual science produces statistically significant, repeatable results...unlike the junk science exploited to push an agenda.
--------------------------------------------------------

(10-09-2016, 03:57 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Actual science produces statistically significant, repeatable results...unlike the junk science exploited to push an agenda.

This. Even then there is almost always bias influencing it.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(10-09-2016, 03:57 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Actual science produces statistically significant, repeatable results...unlike the junk science exploited to push an agenda.

What is statistically significant about the Kreb cycle?
(10-09-2016, 09:21 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Compare and contrast science and actual science. 

is "actual science" like a "legitimate rape"?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-09-2016, 05:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What is statistically significant about the Kreb cycle?

It metabolizes fats, carbs and proteins into NADH and FADH2 which then go through oxydative phosphorylation to produce ATP. That is used in the mitochondria of your cells to conduct cellular respiration and provide the energy for all your metabolic functions. Statistically it is a balance sheet transaction of several compounds.
(10-09-2016, 11:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: It metabolizes fats, carbs and proteins into NADH and FADH2 which then go through oxydative phosphorylation to produce ATP. That is used in the mitochondria of your cells to conduct cellular respiration and provide the energy for all your metabolic functions. Statistically it is a balance sheet transaction of several compounds.

Oh, please. We both know what "statistically significant" means and we both know that's not it. 
(10-06-2016, 01:30 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Shameful really.  We are with out a doubt a great country.  However it's been my opinion that our education system has been severely lacking for a long time.   It's been a while since I've looked at the stats.   But we are not near the top and we should be given the freedoms and resources we have.

Not letting the education system off the hook.  But right along side public education and the world's largest university system is also Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge, and World Net Daily--plus a number of well funded media-savvy corporations who know how to block environmental policy through the vote.
(10-06-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here locally there is a big movement to get flouride removed from the water.

I blame the internet.  It is the main source of most disinformation.

I blame you for that.
(10-06-2016, 11:56 PM)Benton Wrote: I want gmo labels. Not because I don't think they've safely used the same science to make glow in the dark pigs, but because I dont trust companies that weigh profits against humanity. The same companies that brought you safe cigarettes and refreshing coke are now bringing people "better" corn? And people go along with it because 88% of scientists are on board?

Great point.
(10-15-2016, 10:09 PM)Dill Wrote: Not letting the education system off the hook.  But right along side public education and the world's largest university system is also Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge, and World Net Daily--plus a number of well funded media-savvy corporations who know how to block environmental policy through the vote.

Don't forget social media....where about 90% of the population get their "info" now.
My observation has been that a lot of people are so desperate for notoriety that they jump to the easiest route, being contrary.
Anti-this or that, counter-culture, hipster, call it what you will.
It is a tool of self-elevation and psychological masturbation.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
People think that that if they believe something that very few people believe that makes them smarter than the majority of people.

That is by far the biggest attraction for conspiracy theorists and junk science followers. They are smarter than all the stupid people who listen to doctors and scientists.