Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of denial and anti-intellectualism in the US
Good read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/brand-connect/bleecker-street/denial/?hpid=hp_local-news_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fbrandconnect

Just a highlight of some statistics introduced early in the article:

In 2001, 64% of adults thought it was important for kids to get vaccines. There were 116 cases of measles that year.
In 2015, only 54% of adults still believed that and there were 644 cases of measles.

32% of Americans believe humans haven't played a role in climate change. America ranked the 21st of the 21 countries surveyed with regards to if humans have caused climate change.

88% of scientists believe GMOs are safe. Only 37% of US adults do.

11% of US adults believe the government was involved in 9/11
20% believe Obama was born outside the US.

The Anti-Defamation League surveyed 100 countries and found that only 54% of adults heard of the holocaust. 32% of them believe it's a lie or greatly exaggerated.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-06-2016, 01:03 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/brand-connect/bleecker-street/denial/?hpid=hp_local-news_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fbrandconnect

Just a highlight of some statistics introduced early in the article:

In 2001, 64% of adults thought it was important for kids to get vaccines. There were 116 cases of measles that year.
In 2015, only 54% of adults still believed that and there were 644 cases of measles.

32% of Americans believe humans haven't played a role in climate change. America ranked the 21st of the 21 countries surveyed with regards to if humans have caused climate change.

88% of scientists believe GMOs are safe. Only 37% of US adults do.

11% of US adults believe the government was involved in 9/11
20% believe Obama was born outside the US.

The Anti-Defamation League surveyed 100 countries and found that only 54% of adults heard of the holocaust. 32% of them believe it's a lie or greatly exaggerated.
Shameful really.  We are with out a doubt a great country.  However it's been my opinion that our education system has been severely lacking for a long time.   It's been a while since I've looked at the stats.   But we are not near the top and we should be given the freedoms and resources we have.
Here locally there is a big movement to get flouride removed from the water.

I blame the internet. It is the main source of most disinformation.
The vaccine one really has me confused as the study that linked them to autism is a proven fraud.

I have a hard time believing 46% of people have never heard of the Holocaust.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-06-2016, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The vaccine one really has me confused as the study that linked them to autism is a proven fraud.

So, interestingly enough, this corresponds with the timing of the chapter on public opinion in my American politics class this semester. We have been talking about how people in general, even when presented with facts, often won't change their preconceived opinions. This happens not just with the people we often assume it does, but even the well educated will do it, sometimes even more so. This stems from them thinking they already have the right answer and will be obstinate about it.

It's really interesting just how little facts can actually sway people. Researchers have found recently that the best way to get someone to accept facts that counter their preformed opinions and get them to change their mind is to make them feel good about themselves first. I think our media does a pretty piss poor job of that, so we know that isn't going to help. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-06-2016, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The vaccine one really has me confused as the study that linked them to autism is a proven fraud.  

46% of people in 100 countries, not in the US.

(10-06-2016, 04:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, interestingly enough, this corresponds with the timing of the chapter on public opinion in my American politics class this semester. We have been talking about how people in general, even when presented with facts, often won't change their preconceived opinions. This happens not just with the people we often assume it does, but even the well educated will do it, sometimes even more so. This stems from them thinking they already have the right answer and will be obstinate about it.

It's really interesting just how little facts can actually sway people. Researchers have found recently that the best way to get someone to accept facts that counter their preformed opinions and get them to change their mind is to make them feel good about themselves first. I think our media does a pretty piss poor job of that, so we know that isn't going to help. LOL

One problem is the battle line we have between each other.  I remember on one board i used to belong to saying that in hindsight, the way it was carried out, the Iraq War was not a good idea.  First response was "I'm sure the 4000 dead Americans appreciate that."  Who is going to admit they were wrong when that's the response?  Personally whenever someone concedes something I try to be as gracious as possible because 1. admitting you are wrong is not easy, and 2. if you are a dick, then next time it won't happen, and we just all dig in.

And non eof that explains close to half of the people never hearing of the Holocaust. That's not a pride thing. If true, I don't know what the hell that is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-06-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here locally there is a big movement to get flouride removed from the water.

The internet is also the main source of real information too. The problem isn't the internet, it's the propoganda.
(10-06-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here locally there is a big movement to get flouride removed from the water.

I blame Dr. Strangelove.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(10-06-2016, 06:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The internet is also the main source of real information too. The problem isn't the internet, it's the propoganda.

The only stuff related to politics that isn't propaganda is raw data. Even interpreting raw data involves bias.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-06-2016, 08:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The only stuff related to politics that isn't propaganda is raw data. Even interpreting raw data involves bias.

Blame public schooling.  They have dumbed down the curriculum so much, so that the lowest achievers can still pass, that kids of average and above intelligence are no longer taught critical thinking skills, so as to be able to form their own opinions from being presented facts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-06-2016, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Blame public schooling.  They have dumbed down the curriculum so much, so that the lowest achievers can still pass, that kids of average and above intelligence are no longer taught critical thinking skills, so as to be able to form their own opinions from being presented facts.

Critical thinking skills, developing arguments, comparing sources, evaluating the credibility of sources, providing evidence for your claims, and evaluating claims are all part of the common core standards for middle and high schoolers.

I guess you support that then since you want to blame this on schools. 

(10-06-2016, 08:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Critical thinking skills, developing arguments, comparing sources, evaluating the credibility of sources, providing evidence for your claims, and evaluating claims are all part of the common core standards for middle and high schoolers.

I guess you support that then since you want to blame this on schools. 

Hey, you were the one who titled the thread "The rise and denial of intellectualism in the US", not me.  And besides, you're the teacher, right?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-06-2016, 04:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 46% of people in 100 countries, not in the US.

Ohhh

(10-06-2016, 08:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hey, you were the one who titled the thread "The rise and denial of intellectualism in the US", not me.  And besides, you're the teacher, right?

Ok... I'm not sure what this has to do with my comment. Since you're blaming schools for this phenomenon, do you support these standards that dictate that students must learn the skills you're claiming schools do not teach?

I want gmo labels. Not because I don't think they've safely used the same science to make glow in the dark pigs, but because I dont trust companies that weigh profits against humanity. The same companies that brought you safe cigarettes and refreshing coke are now bringing people "better" corn? And people go along with it because 88% of scientists are on board?
(10-06-2016, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Blame public schooling.  They have dumbed down the curriculum so much, so that the lowest achievers can still pass, that kids of average and above intelligence are no longer taught critical thinking skills, so as to be able to form their own opinions from being presented facts.

That is a lazy excuse. 

(10-06-2016, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ..

[Image: 14563488_1117089365038567_36574568083204...e=58AA44BB]

That is the last political meme you posted. If you bothered using those critical thinking skills you claimed schools don't teach, you might realize that isn't what Hillary claimed and would understand the difference between what she actually said and the BS propaganda you're disseminating. 

Anyway, congrats on discrediting your own point. 
(10-06-2016, 11:56 PM)Benton Wrote: I want gmo labels. Not because I don't think they've safely used the same science to make glow in the dark pigs, but because I dont trust companies that weigh profits against humanity. The same companies that brought you safe cigarettes and refreshing coke are now bringing people "better" corn? And people go along with it because 88% of scientists are on board?

I think GMO foods should be labeled because I believe consumers should be able to make informed decisions. For the record, I'm totally fine with recombinant DNA technology. It produces stuff like human insulin so diabetics don't need to use pig insulin. 
Helps explain why Trump is one of our options in November.
(10-06-2016, 11:56 PM)Benton Wrote: I want gmo labels. Not because I don't think they've safely used the same science to make glow in the dark pigs, but because I dont trust companies that weigh profits against humanity. The same companies that brought you safe cigarettes and refreshing coke are now bringing people "better" corn? And people go along with it because 88% of scientists are on board?

(10-07-2016, 01:47 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think GMO foods should be labeled because I believe consumers should be able to make informed decisions. For the record, I'm totally fine with recombinant DNA technology. It produces stuff like human insulin so diabetics don't need to use pig insulin. 

I waffle on this. I would like consumers to be informed, but on the same hand people are stupid. But then do we trust companies to continue using GMOs responsibly? It's a tough call, really. We've had GMOs in our diet for centuries, so the big to do about it is way overblown, but still, capitalism being what it is...