Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The secondary play so far is concerning
I've been rewatching game after game trying to put a finger on what's going wrong this season and I must say it's clear exactly what area of the defense that's struggling it's clearly the secondary...The safeties are killing us so far,missing tackles,poor technique in coverage and neither one has made any plays of impact,and worst of all both have struggled trying to cover tight ends..I've also noticed the corners lack of tight coverage we've been in off man far more this season than in years past don't know if that's coaching or lack of confidence in the corners or a combination of both....

We've also been penalized alot in the secondary upon watching these games I've noticed that most of the penalties have come against corners in off coverage if we're gonna turn this season around the secondary and oline must turn it around in a hurry
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 01:06 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I've been rewatching game after game trying to put a finger on what's going wrong this season and I must say it's clear exactly what area of the defense that's struggling it's clearly the secondary...The safeties are killing us so far,missing tackles,poor technique in coverage and neither one has made any plays of impact,and worst of all both have struggled trying to cover tight ends..I've also noticed the corners lack of tight coverage we've been in off man far more this season than in years past don't know if that's coaching or lack of confidence in the corners or a combination of both....

We've also been penalized alot in the secondary upon watching these games I've noticed that most of the penalties have come against corners in off coverage if we're gonna turn this season around the secondary and oline must turn it around in a hurry

That's an alignment call. Maybe it's because the safeties aren't playing up to par. Nelson was a very good safety.

I'm not sure there's any hope for this OL. Bodine isn't suddenly going to gain skills he's never had before and Ced Og just either isn't ready or isn't very good. We'll find out which. And seeing that Fisher isn't displacing Og means he's even less good. Overall there's no horses coming to rescue this line from it's bad play.

Our draft in 2017 needs to be a C and OT early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
TIL: Vance Joseph was a super important part of our defense.
Reply/Quote
Secondary is the least of concerns right now... MLB, DE's not named Dunlap, entire right side of Oline all worry me more than our secondary.
Reply/Quote
Worries me that shawn Williams is so garbage and has brought zero play making ability to the secondary .my god him Mauluga and Mike Johnson need to go
Reply/Quote
When the DL gets penetration, the secondary looks great.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Biggest concerns:

1.) Coaching (schematic waste of talent, weak-ass don't get beat deep, but kill us all day long underneath)
2.) Offensive line, run blocking. Their pass blocking is actually good, but they are getting killed because the defense is just teeing off because they don't have any fear of the running game.
3.) Defensive line- Almost every game they have played, the opposition has appeared to have a better defensive line. That's a very sad statement for what once was a top 5 unit. What happened? No idea. But their balls are smaller than BBs.
4.) Secondary- A lot of scheme here, playing so far off, but Jones seems to have aged a lot in the offseason, Iloka has been all but invisible, Dre is inconsistent, and Williams suddenly forgot how to tackle.
5.) Linebackers- They look big, slow, and lost. They play with the aggression of snails. I would start rotating Vigil in more as at the very least, he can run. Vinny Rey has looked like our best LB.
Reply/Quote
At this point last season we had 14 Sacks this season we have 10 and half of those came against a beat oline on a short week. The secondary played well 3 out 5 weeks but in the 2 games they have played bad have been against rookie QBs or first year Qbs. I hypothesis that's because Guenther is playing deep coverage because he doesn't think these Qbs can beat him nickle and diming us.The problem with that is these Qbs are so good coming out of college now and they know o the spread so well that they can pick you apart if you don't play them honest.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Biggest concerns:

1.) Coaching (schematic waste of talent, weak-ass don't get beat deep, but kill us all day long underneath)
2.) Offensive line, run blocking.  Their pass blocking is actually good, but they are getting killed because the defense is just teeing off because they don't have any fear of the running game.
3.) Defensive line- Almost every game they have played, the opposition has appeared to have a better defensive line.  That's a very sad statement for what once was a top 5 unit.  What happened?  No idea. But their balls are smaller than BBs.  
4.) Secondary- A lot of scheme here, playing so far off, but Jones seems to have aged a lot in the offseason, Iloka has been all but invisible, Dre is inconsistent, and Williams suddenly forgot how to tackle.  
5.) Linebackers-  They look big, slow, and lost.  They play with the aggression of snails.  I would start rotating Vigil in more as at the very least, he can run.  Vinny Rey has looked like our best LB.

A lot of that can be linked to no longer having a hard hitting, ball-hawking, Pro Bowl/2nd Team All-Pro safety back there... and trying to replace that void with Shawn Williams.

I will admit I was buying into Williams a bit in the offseason, but I was staunch in my desire to see Nelson/Williams, not Iloka/Williams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 02:13 AM)treee Wrote: TIL: Vance Joseph was a super important part of our defense.

Believe the loss of Jay Hayes hurts as well in my humble opinion. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 01:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A lot of that can be linked to no longer having a hard hitting, ball-hawking, Pro Bowl/2nd Team All-Pro safety back there... and trying to replace that void with Shawn Williams.

I will admit I was buying into Williams a bit in the offseason, but I was staunch in my desire to see Nelson/Williams, not Iloka/Williams.

Bought into Williams too, but damn we miss Reggie. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 02:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe the loss of Jay Hayes hurts as well in my humble opinion. 

Dunno, Tampa Bay's DL isn't exactly tearing it up.

But Zimmer on the other hand... Vikings have been 9th, 7th, and 2nd so far in sack totals under Zimmer.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Shawn Williams easily dropped four ints already this season Reggie would've caught everyone of those
Reply/Quote
Iloka has the football instincts of a tree he doesn't anticipate anything
Reply/Quote
Darqueze dennard is more of a safety in the nfl than he is a cornerback the faster we realize this the better off we'll be
Reply/Quote
Ugh we miss Nelson. Illoka n Williams have horrible instincts
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 03:24 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Shawn Williams easily dropped four ints already this season Reggie would've caught everyone of those

I guarantee at least one against the Stoolers.   ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 10:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When the DL gets penetration, the secondary looks great.

^ most of the breakdowns in the secondary come from being in coverage for 2 hours...
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Biggest concerns:

2.) Offensive line, run blocking.  Their pass blocking is actually good, but they are getting killed because the defense is just teeing off because they don't have any fear of the running game.
3.) Defensive line- Almost every game they have played, the opposition has appeared to have a better defensive line.  That's a very sad statement for what once was a top 5 unit.  What happened?  No idea. But their balls are smaller than BBs.  
5.) Linebackers-  They look big, slow, and lost.  They play with the aggression of snails.  I would start rotating Vigil in more as at the very least, he can run.  Vinny Rey has looked like our best LB.

Hasn't DKp been our best player in the secondary this year?  I think your reliving 2015 when Nelson hung him out to dry a couple times every game (reiterating I miss Nelson, Williams is a dumpster fire). Agree 100% with the rest.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 03:53 AM)ah5 Wrote: ^ most of the breakdowns in the secondary come from being in coverage for 2 hours...

But, at the same time, we are no longer getting those "coverage sacks".  Those sacks that result from the QB having to hold the ball too long, because there is no one open to throw to..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote