Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sky is falling...I think?
(08-25-2015, 11:21 AM)PApinhead Wrote: I just don't get it.  What is the sense in watching, or heck, even playing pre-season games if we can't learn anything from them?  Yes it is a pre-season game, but you still see team or individual tendencies whether it is the first team, second team, or fourth team.  You see them in pre-season and still see some of them in the regular season.  I can understand why fans get upset seeing things in the pre-season that we have seen in the regular season before.  We shouldn't be seeing the same problems year after year.

Why are we not allowed to get upset over what we see in the pre-season?  It's still our team and they didn't look good.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in on this team yet after last night's performance, or lack therof, but I certainly wasn't encouraged much from it.  We definitely have a lot of work to do.

You're certainly allowed to get upset over what you see, but don't you think it's ridiculous to say that last night "PROVES" that our offensive line isn't very good now? Or that it "PROVES" that Gio/Andy suck now? C'mon, man, that stuff is silly, which is the entire point of this thread.

There are legitimate concerns and then there are insane overreactions. I've seen quite a few of each in the past 12 hours. People claiming that certain guys are "done", even Peko who I don't think is very good at all anymore, are just being ridiculous by judging over 1 preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:21 AM)PApinhead Wrote: I just don't get it.  What is the sense in watching, or heck, even playing pre-season games if we can't learn anything from them?  Yes it is a pre-season game, but you still see team or individual tendencies whether it is the first team, second team, or fourth team.  You see them in pre-season and still see some of them in the regular season.  I can understand why fans get upset seeing things in the pre-season that we have seen in the regular season before.  We shouldn't be seeing the same problems year after year.

Why are we not allowed to get upset over what we see in the pre-season?  It's still our team and they didn't look good.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in on this team yet after last night's performance, or lack therof, but I certainly wasn't encouraged much from it.  We definitely have a lot of work to do.

Spot on. You don't draw concrete conclusions from pre season games but you definitely notice tendencies and last night showed that this team in many ways is similar to last years.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Folks with a good football eye know what to pull out of a preseason game. And that's individual performances. And you can learn a lot believe it or not. Hence the problems we saw last night aren't preseason problems. They are regular season demons that are still alive and well.
Funny, they didn't look like that last week... Guess we all have bad football eyes, right? Because they aren't capable of 2 weeks ago, we base judgement on only bad things.

You guys have nothing going on in your lives of importance, THAT'S why you've all become critical of 1 friggin' PS game; it took 5 days for the first thread to reach 5 pages. It took 9 hours for this game's thread to reach 5 pages: you all have nothing going on in your own lives, period.

DJ is 100% correct in this case; worry about this shot if it happens during the season, not the friggin' PS.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:26 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You're certainly allowed to get upset over what you see, but don't you think it's ridiculous to say that last night "PROVES" that our offensive line isn't very good now? Or that it "PROVES" that Gio/Andy suck now? C'mon, man, that stuff is silly, which is the entire point of this thread.

There are legitimate concerns and then there are insane overreactions. I've seen quite a few of each in the past 12 hours. People claiming that certain guys are "done", even Peko who I don't think is very good at all anymore, are just being ridiculous by judging over 1 preseason game.

"Proves" may be a little over the top, but it definitely supports that view.  How many games and seasons does it take to actually "prove" it? 

But are they really judging over 1 pre-season game or the entire body of work that we've seen in the past?

Either way, some people get more excited about their Bengals than others do, be it pre-season or regular season, and might be a little wound up immediately or even the day after the game.  Why can't we let them vent right after a game? 

I didn't do much yelling since it was a pre-season game, but if it were a regular season game, I would have been yelling and probably throwing some things.  Although I wasn't wound up last night, I am definitely concerned about our O-line.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Funny, they didn't look like that last week... Guess we all have bad football eyes, right? Because they aren't capable of 2 weeks ago, we base judgement on only bad things.

You guys have nothing going on in your lives of importance, THAT'S why you've all become critical of 1 friggin' PS game; it took 5 days for the first thread to reach 5 pages. It took 9 hours for this game's thread to reach 5 pages: you all have nothing going on in your own lives, period.

DJ is 100% correct in this case; worry about this shot if it happens during the season, not the friggin' PS.

Haha!!!  That's nice; assuming no one has anything of important going in our lives because we are commenting on a pre-season game.  Maybe you don't, but I bet some of us do and are just taking a few minutes to discuss our favorite football team.

If it happens during the regular season, it may be a little too late.  And again, if it was the first time we were seeing mistakes like that, I can see saying how some might be over-reacting, but when you've seen those same mistakes before, it can be a legitimate complaint.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about preseason. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???

I don't think the game last night means the sky is falling.

But it's hard to explain why the same mistakes keep being made as last year. Hasn't this team progressed in those areas?

It's not that they had a bad game, but it was eerily a lot like last year's bad games.

Reply/Quote
If you're a starter why would you go 100% into a pre-season game? Look at the injuries in the Packers and Steelers game and I think players should be more concerned about their health then putting up good numbers in a meaningless game. Pre-season isn't their help the players it's to get the NFL money. They make millions off of these games due to the NFL fans unquenchable thirst for football.

It's pre-season enough said.
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about AJ Green, he'll be fine, and he didn't try as hard as he could have to reel that one catch in, but why extend yourself so much and take a shot to the ribs in PRE-SEASON? That ball was too high. Eifert dang near got his ribs crushed from trying to reel in a high ball. Andy needs to bring it down and do a much better job getting it to the receivers with out setting them up to take killer shots. That's what I noticed on the Offense.

On the Defense, I was pretty happy with the penetration our DL was getting and Chris Carter was making a case to be on the 53 last night. Paul Dawson looked much better and did a pretty good job, especially on that goal line stop. Trevor Roach and Flowers had a couple nice plays as well. I'm liking the looks of our LB's now.

I heard Iloka got a thigh bruise, hope it's nothing serious. Dre looked great. Shaw and Hill showed more promise even if they made a couple mistakes.

Overall, we got a lot of tape on our defensive players so we can figure out who to keep/let go.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't think the game last night means the sky is falling.

But it's hard to explain why the same mistakes keep being made as last year. Hasn't this team progressed in those areas?

It's not that they had a bad game, but it was eerily a lot like last year's bad games.

Exactly!!!  This is my biggest concern.  I think it's a coaching problem, but then again I am not the biggest fan of some of our coaches, so I might be biased.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about preseason. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???

Wtf djs.... This is one of the few times I agree with you.
Reply/Quote
The season is over.(jk)
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

The lack of effort is what concerns me.....it was a horse shit effort across the board.  Losing is one thing, lack of effort is inexcusable.....practice or not......at least that's the way I was taught to play the game.  I've been on the end of plenty of lopsided losses, doesn't mean we QUIT.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: The lack of effort is what concerns me.....it was a horse shit effort across the board.  Losing is one thing, lack of effort is inexcusable.....practice or not......at least that's the way I was taught to play the game.  I've been on the end of plenty of lopsided losses, doesn't mean we QUIT.

Putting in 100% effort in a meaningless game vs staying healthy increasing the odds of being a championship team? It's a logical move to try to avoid injuries in a game that is going to mean nothing. NFL players have a lot more on the line then a regular football player with a very small window of opportunity that can slam shut at any moment I can't blame an established starter for not putting his body in danger.There's no excuse for lack of effort if it actually meant something. The Bengals didn't lose their playoff game last year because of a lack of effort but because of an increase in injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:17 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Putting in 100% effort in a meaningless game vs staying healthy increasing the odds of being a championship team? It's a logical move to try to avoid injuries in a game that is going to mean nothing. NFL players have a lot more on the line then a regular football player with a very small window of opportunity that can slam shut at any moment I can't blame an established starter for not putting his body in danger.There's no excuse for lack of effort if it actually meant something. The Bengals didn't lose their playoff game last year because of a lack of effort but because of an increase in injuries.

Meh, practice like you play.....but I saw guys standing around in the second half.....supposedly fighting for a roster spot.....looked like a typical Marvin Lewis primetime fiasco to me.  Maybe I was already pissed off and didn't see what I thought I saw......

.....and BTW, guys not getting after it up front could lead to injuries to skill players behind them.....preseason or not. If they're not gonna hustle, then why play them at all?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:22 AM)xavierdude Wrote: not really except for  two..

AJ Green has always been lazy when catching or attempting to catch a pass

without Johnson..and we dont know how good johnson will be..pass rush with this team is a problem

it looked bad last night but the bengals did not show anything that is remotely indicative of regular season game planning

Agreed, there is not much game planning.  But there is also no warm and fuzzy watching your teams O-Line get manhandled 1:1.  That had nothing to do with planning, just pure and simple man against man of which we lost a lot of.  

I'd like to think our talent is good enough to win even without a great game plan.  Do you really think Marv and co. are that good at what they do to prepare the team week in and week out?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:24 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm not worried about AJ Green, he'll be fine, and he didn't try as hard as he could have to reel that one catch in, but why extend yourself so much and take a shot to the ribs in PRE-SEASON? That ball was too high. Eifert dang near got his ribs crushed from trying to reel in a high ball. Andy needs to bring it down and do a much better job getting it to the receivers with out setting them up to take killer shots. That's what I noticed on the Offense.

On the Defense, I was pretty happy with the penetration our DL was getting and Chris Carter was making a case to be on the 53 last night. Paul Dawson looked much better and did a pretty good job, especially on that goal line stop. Trevor Roach and Flowers had a couple nice plays as well. I'm liking the looks of our LB's now.

I heard Iloka got a thigh bruise, hope it's nothing serious. Dre looked great. Shaw and Hill showed more promise even if they made a couple mistakes.

Overall, we got a lot of tape on our defensive players so we can figure out who to keep/let go.

Give me a break that ball to AJ was too high, it would have him him in the helmet had he not put his hands on it.  Please!

Good tight ends, if Eifert wants to be considered as one, make that catch down the seam.  Rarely is it possible to put that throw in the bread basket due to the need to get it over the LB.  Any good TE makes that play easily for a TD.

Now the early overthrow to Eifert was pathetic by Dalton.  He missed that throw very badly.  Just terrible.  

All of them should be ashamed at that effort last night.  And I don't care that it was preseason, have some pride about yourself and practice how you eventually intend to play.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:40 AM)xavierdude Wrote: unprepared for what? because it was Monday Night Football preseason. The bengals dd not game plan like they normally would and all they did last night was to allow players , some second and third stringers, to get some playing time for evaluation..RELAX

Yes, I agree, it is preseason but do you honestly think the coaching staff was pleased with last night's showing?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh, practice like you play.....but I saw guys standing around in the second half.....supposedly fighting for a roster spot.....looked like a typical Marvin Lewis primetime fiasco to me.  Maybe I was already pissed off and didn't see what I thought I saw......

.....and BTW, guys not getting after it up front could lead to injuries to skill players behind them.....preseason or not.  If they're not gonna hustle, then why play them at all?

It's not practice though it's the 2nd of 4 unnecessary pre-season game with a vanilla scheme. If guys aren't hustling in the 2nd half then it's only going to hurt them later. Pre-season is less about dominating the opponent and more about individual performances anyways so if guys aren't going to motivate themselves to put out a good tape for other teams then that doesn't hurt the Bengals unless they decide to keep that player.
Reply/Quote
I'd brush this off as merely pre-season had the errors exhibited not been exceedingly representative of this team's real-game failings. Furthermore, if the Steelers looked this bad in a prime-time pre-season game we'd be predicting a 5-11 season for them.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:48 AM)Stewy Wrote: I agree, but the "Chicken Little Squad" just loves to over react.

TB wanted to make a good showing n front of their fans, and they actually game planned and blitzed to show off.  When one tries to win in the pre-season it says something about the quality of the team and expectations.  Now no one enjoys seeing their team perform poorly, but it's pre-season and meaningless.  The Bengals record is currently 0-0 and will remain so until week 1.

With that said, it doesn't help us evaluate young layers when the opposing team is game planning to win.  Reminds me of the NO game in 2008 when Palmer got his nose bloodied.

I don't have a problem with their losing a preseason game, BUT I have a problem with the team AGAIN looking like a hot, steamy, cow pile in prime time. It smelled a lot like the last 4 playoff games. :angry: This coaching staff does NOT have the ability to get the team ready to play.  Sick
Reply/Quote