Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sky is falling...I think?
(08-25-2015, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd brush this off as merely pre-season had the errors exhibited not been exceedingly representative of this team's real-game failings.  Furthermore, if the Steelers looked this bad in a prime-time pre-season game we'd be predicting a 5-11 season for them.

That's why I do think there are concerns, but it has been a borderline comedy act on the boards since the end of that game.

A week ago, according to the general consensus of the boards, Andy was improved, Gio was a great RB2, Hill was going to be the #1 RB in the league, A.J. was solidly a top 5/10 WR, Eifert is uncoverable, our o-line was the best in the league, and our defense was back to life.

One game, ONE game that highlighted some big mental errors by our first string, and in the last 12 hours, I've seen...

A.J. isn't even top 10
"Andy still sucks" (Exact name of a thread)
Gio isn't good anymore/is declining
Hill is going to fumble too much
Eifert is coverable and good TEs don't drop that pass
Offensive line proven to be suspect
Defense is too vanilla

One preseason game caused all of those overreactions. I mean, I never thought I'd be arguing on this side of the fence, but people have been absolutely ridiculous today and last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: That's why I do think there are concerns, but it has been a borderline comedy act on the boards since the end of that game.

A week ago, according to the general consensus of the boards, Andy was improved, Gio was a great RB2, Hill was going to be the #1 RB in the league, A.J. was solidly a top 5/10 WR, Eifert is uncoverable, our o-line was the best in the league, and our defense was back to life.

One game, ONE game that highlighted some big mental errors by our first string, and in the last 12 hours, I've seen...

A.J. isn't even top 10
Defense is too vanilla

One preseason game caused all of those overreactions. I mean, I never thought I'd be arguing on this side of the fence, but people have been absolutely ridiculous today and last night.

In all fairness I don't think I was one to be too high, nor too low on this team.  

AJ is a very good WR who made a costly error
Dalton looked pretty lousy
Gio was ok-ish
I always point out that people like to extrapolate Hill's YPA and TDs to some ludicrously productive season while failing to extrapolate his fumbles into something downright scary
I personally said Eifert being "uncoverable" made me think our defense was suspect (and the Bucs sort of proved it for now)
I thought our o-line was supposed to be good, but last night?  Ouch
Geurnurtherurr is too vanilla...promoting from within does not give me visions of awesome

Anywho, I would like to aim a quote from Elton John at the Bengals:  Baby you're crazy if you think that you can fool me, because I've seen that movie, too.

OH and the worst part was watching AJ McCarron simply refuse to throw the football. What the fudge?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about preseason. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???

It's easy to sum it up, we're just talkin about coachin.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:04 PM)Derrick Wrote: I don't have a problem with their losing a preseason game, BUT I have a problem with the team AGAIN looking like a hot, steamy, cow pile in prime time. It smelled a lot like the last 4 playoff games. :angry: This coaching staff does NOT have the ability to get the team ready to play.  Sick

a monday nite preseason game ..this is not primetime..perhaps you fail to see this
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:48 AM)Stewy Wrote: I agree, but the "Chicken Little Squad" just loves to over react.

TB wanted to make a good showing n front of their fans, and they actually game planned and blitzed to show off.  When one tries to win in the pre-season it says something about the quality of the team and expectations.  Now no one enjoys seeing their team perform poorly, but it's pre-season and meaningless.  The Bengals record is currently 0-0 and will remain so until week 1.

With that said, it doesn't help us evaluate young layers when the opposing team is game planning to win.  Reminds me of the NO game in 2008 when Palmer got his nose bloodied.

I was listening to Mike Florio this afternoon.  His take on it was that the game was meaningless.  He said that Tampa had not won at home for ten straight games and that Tampa was playing to win that game to generate fan interest in the team, while Cincinnati was playing to win in January.
Reply/Quote
Looked to me like Tampa was dead set on getting their first home win in 11 tries with a newly minted #1 overall pick at QB.

The Bengals looked like they were there to grab a paycheck and get it over with.

Period.
I expect a better showing Sat after this sorry affair.
But at the end of the day its just Pre-season.

4-0 pre-season Lions go 0-16 with no major injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:33 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I was listening to Mike Florio this afternoon.  His take on it was that the game was meaningless.  He said that Tampa had not won at home for ten straight games and that Tampa was playing to win that game to generate fan interest in the team, while Cincinnati was playing to win in January.

Yep and here is a key thing....Florio hates the Bengals so if he was painting a sunny picture, you can take it to the bank.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:49 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: It's not practice though it's the 2nd of 4 unnecessary pre-season game with a vanilla scheme. If guys aren't hustling in the 2nd half then it's only going to hurt them later. Pre-season is less about dominating the opponent and more about individual performances anyways so if guys aren't going to motivate themselves to put out a good tape for other teams then that doesn't hurt the Bengals unless they decide to keep that player.

It is practice though, otherwise known as a scrimmage game......if you played like shit in a scrimmage anywhere I played, you might lose your PT, you might run your ass off the next day too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: That's why I do think there are concerns, but it has been a borderline comedy act on the boards since the end of that game.

A.J. isn't even top 10
Defense is too vanilla

To be fair, I've seen concerns about Gio since training camp started....and I've been bitching about Paul Alexander since like 1999..... Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about preseason. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???

Still comes down to beating the guy in front of you and the pride as an athlete to not get owned, no matter what time of year it is.  When is a beat down okay?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

On Green, I wish he wouldn't just give up on plays after an interception.  He's supposed to turn around and play defense

On Guenther:  Remember last year when we thought he was just playing vanilla in preseason, then found out our defense had drastically declined?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:42 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: On Green, I wish he wouldn't just give up on plays after an interception.  He's supposed to turn around and play defense

On Guenther:  Remember last year when we thought he was just playing vanilla in preseason, then found out our defense had drastically declined?
Our defense was actually pretty good in preseason last year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:42 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: On Green, I wish he wouldn't just give up on plays after an interception.  He's supposed to turn around and play defense

You want your all star WR taking a chance on getting blindsided by a big LB in preseason? I'd rather A.J. actually not go after the DB in that exact situation. If that happens in the regular season, there will be a very good reason to complain though. I was almost mad when I saw him just kind of halfassing it there after the INT, but you can't have your best player taking chances in preseason IMO.

I actually thought the DB scheming last year was fine. Our LBs sucked and the front 4 couldn't generate pressure on their own, so I don't believe a more fancy playcaller was the answer there. Either way though, the point of my original post was that people were okay with the defense just like 2 days ago and today ready to jump off a cliff.
Reply/Quote

A.J. isn't even top 10
Defense is too vanilla

It was no different last week, when after a preseason week 1 game, people on here where talking Super Bowl, All-Pro Selections, polls about not losing our first game until past week 8, etc. 
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 04:54 PM)Nights Watch Wrote: It was no different last week, when after a preseason week 1 game, people on here where talking Super Bowl, All-Pro Selections, polls about not losing our first game until past week 8, etc. 

Hilarious what these preseason games can do, eh?

I did find it funny that some people were baffled at our schedule and couldn't even decide when we could possibly lose a game.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:00 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hilarious what these preseason games can do, eh?

I did find it funny that some people were baffled at our schedule and couldn't even decide when we could possibly lose a game.

Nobody cares about pre season scores or won-loss records.  It's about the tone.  It's about the overall ineptitude against a bad team.   It's all about the odor.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 03:33 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I was listening to Mike Florio this afternoon.  His take on it was that the game was meaningless.  He said that Tampa had not won at home for ten straight games and that Tampa was playing to win that game to generate fan interest in the team, while Cincinnati was playing to win in January.

So this more is akin to letting your 4 year old nephew win when you are wrestling around in the living room than it is to an actual NFL game?  Oh, that's a relief! Ninja

It was awfully nice of the postseason locks known as the Bengals to let poor lil' Tampa Bay run and pass all over them so they could give their starved fan-base a nice show.
Reply/Quote
The sky is not falling but the wise man takes heed when it rumbles. Ask Pompeii the wisdom of waiting until the sky falls.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: The lack of effort is what concerns me.....it was a horse shit effort across the board.  Losing is one thing, lack of effort is inexcusable.....practice or not......at least that's the way I was taught to play the game.  I've been on the end of plenty of lopsided losses, doesn't mean we QUIT.

Spot On!
Reply/Quote
Holes in so much of "meaningless" downplay.
So one play DreK is busting his ass to break up a pass, the next he's getting beat and owned on a blitz that leaves him one on one for a TD?

Did he just say "Hey man Imma gonna look good on this 2nd down pass but who gives a flying f if I give up a TD.  It's just PS. Pffft"

This is just one example.

The total blowing off of effort by under-reacting posters is comical.

So the O-line getting there asses handed to them while Andy eats turf is A-Okay... gotcha.

You know... the starting QB who has nothing but ??? playing backup.

Do the players play flat or care less about Preseason?  I'm sure they do.

There is no way that a few egos weren't bruised a bit last night though.

Zeitler looked like he should have had glow sticks and attending a rave. LMAO 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote