Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The stat nobody talks about
(09-20-2016, 09:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cool 

Okay. You got me. Sorry for saying that Bengal fans are tolerant. Sad
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:44 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I don't think you are trolling and I see your point, lol believe me and you there would be a big outcry for his firing. Plus people do back Marvin up 50% of the time. Yeah so we can turn out like the reds!! What was we before marvin!? I see it all the time.

And that's the problem.  Marvin is measured against complete and utter failure so anything accomplished is success.  On the other hand, imagine if Mike Tomlin lost to the Bengals and failed to win in the playoffs.  It would be hatchet time for ole' Mike.  Truth is it's all relative.  Pittsburgh has known winning and anything less is unacceptable.  The Bengals on the other hand, at least under Mikey Boy, have known failure.  So anything remotely associated to success, as in winning a division title, is considered worthy of extreme accomplishment.  Only in Cincinnati could Marvin have a 16 year run of mediocrity.  Success is championships to most NFL owners but not Mike Brown.  Success equals HOPE which equals seats filled with asses.  

It's not that Mike Brown is a bad guy.  I truly believe he wants to win, just doesn't know how.  He'd rather put his eggs in the HOPE basket rather than making a change from good to great.  A wise man once said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".  I think this is the way Mike Brown looks at things, not that somebody might be better than Marvin but somebody might be worse.

Some might say this is making decisions with an empty nutsack.  Maybe so, and maybe that's what separates the haves and the have not's.  No balls.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:43 PM)Antares Wrote: Okay. You got me. Sorry for saying that Bengal fans are tolerant. Sad

Have a look through a gameday thread.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:20 PM)Antares Wrote: You absolutely can do something about it. You can voice your opinion loudly. That is what fans do when they are not happy. That's all we can do. We complain about officiating when we can't do anything about it. Nobody stays quiet when the officials screw up. But Marvin gets a pass by most Bengal fans.  Most of the fans and the Ken Broos of the world prefer to support Marvin or remain silent.

But you do make some good points

Normally I think FredToast is just handwaving opposition when he pulls the troll card, but I have to agree with him after reading the bolded.

Marvin Lewis gets anything BUT a pass by Bengals fans.

Most of us wanted him gone after the Playoff loss to San Diego. If not then, people wanted him gone after the postseason loss to the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:45 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: And that's the problem.  Marvin is measured against complete and utter failure so anything accomplished is success.  On the other hand, imagine if Mike Tomlin lost to the Bengals and failed to win in the playoffs.  It would be hatchet time for ole' Mike.  Truth is it's all relative.  Pittsburgh has known winning and anything less is unacceptable.  The Bengals on the other hand, at least under Mikey Boy, have known failure.  So anything remotely associated to success, as in winning a division title, is considered worthy of extreme accomplishment.  Only in Cincinnati could Marvin have a 16 year run of mediocrity.  Success is championships to most NFL owners but not Mike Brown.  Success equals HOPE which equals seats filled with asses.  

It's not that Mike Brown is a bad guy.  I truly believe he wants to win, just doesn't know how.  He'd rather put his eggs in the HOPE basket rather than making a change from good to great.  A wise man once said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".  I think this is the way Mike Brown looks at things, not that somebody might be better than Marvin but somebody might be worse.

Some might say this is making decisions with an empty nutsack.  Maybe so, and maybe that's what separates the haves and the have not's.  No balls.
What a great point. Somebody at work today went back 14 years to remind me of what it was like before Marvin. I had to remind him that the Bengals had zero talent. Now they have talent but can't do anything with it other than win a few games against inferior opponents. When they need to stand up in a high pressure game and defeat a tough opponent, they are usually crushed. Underachieving coaching.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:20 PM)Antares Wrote: Is that the year they won their first Playoff game?

Do you think Marvin has underachieved or overachieved?

Not to turn into the mothership, but mods, at this point? After this?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean like in '11 when everyone said we were the worst team in the league?

On the one hand we were 9-7 and they were wrong.  On the other hand it is somewhat sad that our big "IN YOUR FACE, WORLD!" move was going 9-7 and losing to a 3rd string QB in the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:53 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Normally I think FredToast is just handwaving opposition when he pulls the troll card, but I have to agree with him after reading the bolded.

Marvin Lewis gets anything BUT a pass by Bengals fans.

Most of us wanted him gone after the Playoff loss to San Diego. If not then, people wanted him gone after the postseason loss to the Steelers.
Not from where I sit. Work, friends, season ticket holders, facebook. The critique of Marvin that I see is nonexistant. It is impossible for me to be wrong, because I'm just not seeing it. Who was the last person in this forum to post a thread critical of Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:26 PM)Antares Wrote: When was the last thread in this forum critisizing Marvin? I'm new here so help me out. Who in the local media is calling for Marvin to be replaced? I simply mention Marvin's record vs the Steelas and it turns into a hatefest. So yes, most Bengal fans, especially the season ticket holders that I know, don't want to say or hear anything unflattering about Marvin.

I'm answering the questions in the order you ask them.

1. Read the most recent ***** gameday thread.

2. Boomer Esaison, Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless. The list goes on.

3. It isn't the Steelers record that incitied this; it's your insinuation that most Bengals Fans are content with that record and Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:58 PM)Antares Wrote: Not from where I sit. Work, friends, season ticket holders, facebook. The critique of Marvin that I see is nonexistant. It is impossible for me to be wrong, because I'm just not seeing it. Who was the last person in this forum to post a thread critical of Marvin?

You Clearly don't roam facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Fire-Marvin-Lewis-Now-168953893144005/?fref=ts

I've been a member of this community for almost 5 years now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to turn into the mothership, but mods, at this point? After this?

Really? I don't like what you are saying so I want you out? Seriously? Wouldn't it be soooooo much easier for you to find a topic that you are interested in? In other words acting like an American rather than trying to silence people.
You're not one of those folks who needs a safe space are you?
Reply/Quote
Usually the only time I hear anything positive about Marvin is coming from friends of mine that are Browns fans.

Does that count?       Yes
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 09:50 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Have a look through a gameday thread.

I will. And as I said. I just got here.
Reply/Quote
I don't think OP was trolling and I think some are WAY to casual about throwing that word around at anyone they disagree with. One of my first threads ever was some rant about Mike Brown and I definitely wasn't trolling.

That being said, OP is underestimating Bengals fans. I'd estimate that more than half the fan base isn't happy with Marvin Lewis. I've wanted him gone since 2008. OP needs to realize that Mike Brown cares less about what his fans think than any owner in professional sports. The guy could seriously give 2 ***** what you or I think.

We want a practice facility (as do the players)? We want or wanted a GM? We want a higher quality FA every now and then? We want a team HOF? Mike Brown doesn't care that the majority of his fans want these things, and he doesn't care about anyone's opinion of Marvin Lewis or any other coach. The man is stubborn and loyal to a fault and there is absolutely zilch we can do about it.

Remember WhoDey Revolution putting up billboards and flying planes over the practice field years ago? Everything has been attempted with Mike Brown. Years ago, a group of his former players even wrote him a group letter asking that he hire a GM. Again, the man refuses to listen to anyone. It's common knowledge for a Bengals fan and that's why people rarely bring it up here. It's pointless to even discuss really.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:00 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: You Clearly don't roam facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Fire-Marvin-Lewis-Now-168953893144005/?fref=ts

I've been a member of this community for almost 5 years now.

Well then clearly you are NOT part of the problem. I wish more people saw things our way.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:29 PM)Antares Wrote: We are all aware of Marvin Lewis's 0 & 7 playoff record. His failure to win high profile, high pressure games is known. The blown time outs, the chaos and lack of discipline is no secret. But the thing nobody mentions is his abysmal record vs Pittsburgh. Marvin has played the Steelers 29 times and lost 21 times. How can this be acceptable to Bengal fans?

What if it were reversed? What if a Steeler coach had 21 losses against the Bengals? We all know what would happen. But Bengal fans are so tolerant of failure, they simply sit back and take it. Marvin's miserable record, is never his fault. This is why Pittsburgh is suscessful. They wouldn't accept this crap.

Am I right?
NO, you are not right.
It is NOT the Fans who are so tolerant of failure. It is Mikey Brown and Marvy Lewis!!! We fans can't do squat.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think OP was trolling and I think some are WAY to casual about throwing that word around at anyone they disagree with. One of my first threads ever was some rant about Mike Brown and I definitely wasn't trolling.

That being said, OP is underestimating Bengals fans. I'd estimate that more than half the fan base isn't happy with Marvin Lewis. I've wanted him gone since 2008. OP needs to realize that Mike Brown cares less about what his fans think than any owner in professional sports. The guy could seriously give 2 ***** what you or I think.

We want a practice facility (as do the players)? We want or wanted a GM? We want a higher quality FA every now and then? We want a team HOF? Mike Brown doesn't care that the majority of his fans want these things, and he doesn't care about anyone's opinion of Marvin Lewis or any other coach. The man is stubborn and loyal to a fault and there is absolutely zilch we can do about it.

Remember WhoDey Revolution putting up billboards and flying planes over the practice field years ago? Everything has been attempted with Mike Brown. Years ago, a group of his former players even wrote him a group letter asking that he hire a GM. Again, the man refuses to listen to anyone. It's common knowledge for a Bengals fan and that's why people rarely bring it up here. It's pointless to even discuss really.
Well is it pointless to discuss officiating? Or whether the NFL is rigged? This is entertainment. All of it is pointless.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:11 PM)Derrick Wrote: NO, you are not right.
It is NOT the Fans who are so tolerant of failure. It is Mikey Brown and Marvy Lewis!!! We fans can't do squat.

Have you ever listened to a sports talk show? Thousands of fans call in every year and complain even though they can't do squat. I'm just wondering why they don't complain more about the lousy coaching or the 8 and 21 record.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:13 PM)Antares Wrote: Well is it pointless to discuss officiating? Or whether the NFL is rigged? This is entertainment. All of it is pointless.

People generally don't discuss those topics often either.

Bashing Mike Brown is beating a dead horse and I've already said my piece on the guy countless times. What else is there to say?

Look, I admitted that I made a nearly identical thread years ago. "Are Bengals fans conditioned to be content with mediocrity?" is what I called it. I compared the Bengals and our fans to the Steelers. So at one point I felt like you. That said, I've come to realize - mainly from these boards - that there are just as many skeptics and folks who aren't happy with Marv as there are homers. If not more.

You probably don't see "fire Marv" threads every week because people are sick of arguing about something that isn't going to change due to our bickering. That doesn't mean the entire fan base is sold on Marv. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People generally don't discuss those topics often either.

Bashing Mike Brown is beating a dead horse and I've already said my piece on the guy countless times. What else is there to say?

Look, I admitted that I made a nearly identical thread years ago. "Are Bengals fans conditioned to be content with mediocrity?" is what I called it. I compared the Bengals and our fans to the Steelers. So at one point I felt like you. That said, I've come to realize - mainly from these boards - that there are just as many skeptics and folks who aren't happy with Marv as there are homers. If not more.

You probably don't see "fire Marv" threads every week because people are sick of arguing about something that isn't going to change due to our bickering. That doesn't mean the entire fan base is sold on Marv. 

Yep.....God knows I've done my share of dissing Son of Paul...and Mediocre Marv and his Merry Band of Tenured Bums.  I guess to someone new....that hasn't been around us nuts the last 6 or 7 years....we may seem a little complacent.  The truth is new dude....most ALL of us on here are fed up with all of them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote