Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sustainability of this defense...
My only consolation is the back end of this defense is very young. They may look a lot better next year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My only consolation is the back end of this defense is very young. They may look a lot better next year.

Yep, this is a good point. The secondary 'should' improve with time, and CTB has been very decent this year. 

More concerned about the front end of the defence tbh. Run defence has been bad and we don't seem to get to the QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My only consolation is the back end of this defense is very young. They may look a lot better next year.

Hopefully they all emerge as solid contributors so Duke can focus his roster building elsewhere. Although, I'm guessing more depth as Safety is needed because Scott is trash.
Reply/Quote

The DL and LBs are all paid veterans, though. They should be much better than they are now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:08 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The offense didn't do the defense any favors, but they definitely didn't look good.

Lou and his putrid defense gave up 400+ yards to Kenny Pickett and Najee Harris. They made Pat Freiermuth look like Travis Kelce. First time in 59 games Pittsburgh has hit that mark. The time for excuses is officially over.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:16 PM)Synric Wrote: Defense held the Steelers to 3 points until 1:30 in the 3rd quarter 16 total points for the game. Not perfect but they got zero help from the offense... speaking of which wow...

Pickett threw for almost 300 yards

Harris was 1 yard short of 100

Freiermuth had 120 yards

There’s no polishing this turd.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The DL and LBs are all paid veterans, though. They should be much better than they are now.

Yep. I’ve been super disappointed with Pratt and Wilson recently.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pickett threw for almost 300 yards

Harris was 1 yard short of 100

Freiermuth had 120 yards

There’s no polishing this turd.

How many of those yards were in the red zone? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Believe this is tied for second to least amount of points allowed this year. (BTW that is the only stat that determines if you when or lose). We allowed more points to the Bills and Seahawks and won those.

As I said before, the poor tackling peed me off more than anything else going on out there, but let us not pretend the Bengals had more than one drive over 5 plays! That drive ended in a INT by Browning. The Steelers then take the 38 yard punt in for a FG.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:25 PM)Synric Wrote: How many of those yards were in the red zone? 

I’m confused as to your point? Teams don’t typically pile up yards in the red zone. The problem is Kenny Pickett was able to drive them down there with ease. And they made Najee Harris look like Nick Chubb. Dude was carrying half our defense on his back like a bunch of clowns on some of those plays. The tackling on this defense has been abysmal way too often this season.

Reply/Quote
ANOTHER lucky red zone turnover actually saved this game from being a complete blowout.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m confused as to your point? Teams don’t typically pile up yards in the red zone. The problem is Kenny Pickett was able to drive them down there with ease. And they made Najee Harris look like Nick Chubb. Dude was carrying half our defense on his back like a bunch of clowns on some of those plays. The tackling on this defense has been abysmal   way too often this season.

Total yards against a defense is based purely on opposing offenses preformace either through turnovers or inability to move the ball. Bengals offense gave a mediocre defense alot of opportunities to rack up yards from the opposing 25 to their 40 but held up near their own redzone... 

I'm not saying this won't change because they will face better offenses which will also lower the yards as they rack up more points and limit their offense.

Today was a perfect storm of racking yards leading most of the game while also doing nothing on offense and giving up big plays only between the 40s.

Edit: Let me put it like this right now the Bengals are one dimensional which is above average on defense but not special and the worst offense in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I miss Bates; maybe getting rid of the best defensive player and replacing him with a special teamer isn't a bright idea. Also maybe we could have signed or drafted a quality 3T to have behind BJ Hill.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Total yards against a defense is based purely on opposing offenses preformace either through turnovers or inability to move the ball. Bengals offense gave a mediocre defense alot of opportunities to rack up yards from the opposing 25 to their 40 but held up near their own redzone... 

I'm not saying this won't change because they will face better offenses which will also lower the yards as they rack up more points and limit their offense.

Today was a perfect storm of racking yards leading most of the game while also doing nothing on offense and giving up big plays only between the 40s.

59 games.

I’m sure this was not the first time in 59 games the Steelers have faced a poor offense.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 59 games.

I’m sure this was not the first time in 59 games the Steelers have faced a poor offense.

Just the poorest.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. I’ve been super disappointed with Pratt and Wilson recently.

The play where Najee carried Bengals for 10 yards. Pratt didn't look like he put much effort out.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Just the poorest.

Which is inexcusable considering you have Ja’Marr Chase on the field. Dude literally got 80 yards out of absolutely nothing. Imagine if the coaches actually knew how to fully utilize him.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 59 games.

Pickett struggles to throw for 150 yards most weeks.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pickett struggles to throw for 150 yards most weeks.

He’s terrible. A better QB could shred teams with Pickens and Johnson.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is inexcusable considering you have Ja’Marr Chase on the field. Dude literally got 80 yards out of absolutely nothing. Imagine if the coaches actually knew how to fully utilize him.

Like I said it's easy to see where it gets worse if the Bengals offense cannot move the ball. 

Titans game perfect example bad team but continue to hand them the ball = yards/points.

Reply/Quote