Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The truth behind the Lamar Jackson/Mason Rudolph rumors
Because it was such a talking point before, during and after the draft - got to the bottom of it for everyone.
https://cin.ci/2ra9WeR

By all means, leave questions/comments below! Thanks in advance for reading and any social shares!

Jim
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Thanks Jim. Just curious about any thoughts on them looking at tight end during the draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Steelers may have wanted to get in front of the Bengals not because they thought the Bengals wanted a QB. Instead they may have seen the Bengals as a team who would trade back again and give that spot to a different team that was looking for a QB.

But even more likely they traded up to whatever team was willing to deal with them. I always find it funny when people say "we should have traded back" or "we should have traded up" because it takes TWO teams to trade. I am sure there are plenty of times when we would have been willing to trade up or down and just could not find another team willing to work with us.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 10:41 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Because it was such a talking point before, during and after the draft - got to the bottom of it for everyone.

By all means, leave questions/comments below! Thanks in advance for reading and any social shares!

Jim

Jim
I wasn't clear by the article regarding who they preferred between Ragnow and Price.  It sounded like all three centers were rated highly on the Bengals board as first rounders.  Nevertheless, when you hear the OC talk about Billy, he sounded like Billy was their guy all along due to intangibles and leadership and toughness.  

I agree with your partner that the Bengals needed to dip into the well one more time to address RT or RG even if it would be a slight reach.  Do you think the Bengals will bring into camp another team's Offensive tackle who may get cut?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
BenZoo2 - re: TE. I think they would have addressed it, but obviously wasn't going to be a fit at 21 ... and then they must have felt that by the middle rounds those guys weren't going to be better than Uzomah / Hewitt / Carter.

FredToast - exactly

Psychdoctor - Honestly, it was a coin flip between Ragnow and Price. I'm sure one was more highly rated than the other, but it wasn't a huge difference in their eyes. With Ragnow off the board, it didn't matter what the decision would've been.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jim
I wasn't clear by the article regarding who they preferred between Ragnow and Price.  It sounded like all three centers were rated highly on the Bengals board as first rounders.  Nevertheless, when you hear the OC talk about Billy, he sounded like Billy was their guy all along due to intangibles and leadership and toughness.  

I agree with your partner that the Bengals needed to dip into the well one more time to address RT or RG even if it would be a slight reach.  Do you think the Bengals will bring into camp another team's Offensive tackle who may get cut?

In 2016, when the Bengals drafted William Jackson III the pick right before the Steelers, the Steelers selected Artie Burns.

This was viewed, at the time, as a significant reach. It was given a C- by Walterfootball at the time saying "The Steelers typically take highly ranked players who fall to them. Think Alvin Dupree, David DeCastro and Jarvis Jones. I figured they'd be all over Myles Jack, but they went with a different strategy this year - reaching for a second-round prospect. Artie Burns is certainly a second-round player. He has great athleticism and size, but he's pretty raw for a player. That's pretty much the definition of a second-round prospect; not someone worth grabbing at No. 25 overall. There were better players available for the Steelers, such as Jack, Kendall Fuller, Jarran Reed or Andrew Billings. I don't like this pick at all."

Others chirped similarly, saying they overreacted to the Bengals stealing their intended pick and reached because of it.

However, despite this reaction, the Steelers coaches insisted that Burns was their target all along.

Two years out, WJ3 is, rather decisively, the superior player.

So one of two things happened:
1. The Steelers misevaluated and thought Burns was better than WJ3
2. They did have their pick stolen and didn't want to sound bad to the media and, perhaps more importantly, to Artie himself.

No one wants to feel like they were a consolation prize or a "second favorite." Imagine being married to someone and they only married you because their first choice didn't love them. That's why the coaches are, essentially, forced to insist that they got their target every time. Can't degrade a player's morale before he even signs a contract with you.

Similarly, the Bengals coaches had to ensure the media and the fans (and Price) that 'Those thinking we wanted Ragnow merely fell for our trick!'  Price was their man from the start.

I have no doubt that they had Price highly rated. They wouldn't have picked him otherwise. But I don't think we'll ever know if they had Price rated above Ragnow or not. Nor do I think it really matters. Either way, we got a first round prospect at Center and a guy who will man the position for the foreseeable future.

Can't expect much better than a day 1 starter at 21.
Reply/Quote
Based on the Bengals bringing in a lower tiered backup in Barkley, and then not drafting a quarterback, does it appear that the Bengals don't want any 'distractions' behind Andy and that it was intentional? Basically giving him a huge cushion in case he gets in a slump. Just a thought, thanks!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 10:41 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Because it was such a talking point before, during and after the draft - got to the bottom of it for everyone.

Jim

I would have been upset if we had taken Lamar in the first. I think people are going to see a Pro Bowl Andy with Billy Price in the middle.  Give us a healthy Eifert too and I think the Bengals are as good as any team in the AFC no matter what the media says.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Based on the Bengals bringing in a lower tiered backup in Barkley, and then not drafting a quarterback, does it appear that the Bengals don't want any 'distractions' behind Andy and that it was intentional? Basically giving him a huge cushion in case he gets in a slump. Just a thought, thanks!

Well, Marvin does not like self-created quarterback controversies. He's right in that it divides a locker room and a fan base, and puts immense pressure on coaches and front office types. But they also all still view Dalton with more to him than what he did a year ago. But dating back to January I can tell you they didn't really see these QBs as franchise guys. And honestly, neither did many in the league. But the position itself is overvauled, hence they're over-drafted. Woodside wasn't too far away from Rudolph in their evaluations, so they're happy with Barkley being the backup and hoping Driskel/Woodside pushes him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 02:54 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Well, Marvin does not like self-created quarterback controversies. He's right in that it divides a locker room and a fan base, and puts immense pressure on coaches and front office types. But they also all still view Dalton with more to him than what he did a year ago. But dating back to January I can tell you they didn't really see these QBs as franchise guys. And honestly, neither did many in the league. But the position itself is overvauled, hence they're over-drafted. Woodside wasn't too far away from Rudolph in their evaluations, so they're happy with Barkley being the backup and hoping Driskel/Woodside pushes him. 

I really think this is the year Driskell steps up and takes the #2 spot....
Reply/Quote
Jim, I'm so glad we didn't draft Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. To those that went years crying because we didn't draft Ryan Mallett, I'm glad we didn't draft him either. Last year I was upset we didn't draft any O Linemen in 3rd, 4th round with about 4 picks. Bengals even took a kicker before an O Lineman in 5 and then cut the kicker. We had no blocking thanks to that. I'm so glad O Line was the # 1 pick this year and we got another blocker later, plus the Left Tackle in free agency. We are doing better than most teams in NFL at QB with Dalton not close to retirement age and some good back-up depth already. The all time leading passer at Toledo must be able to throw in the Ohio weather of wind, rain, hot humidity to freezing cold and snow, so we did get a QB in 7 to add to the others we have. Quarterback is the last thing I'm concerned about with so many areas of the team needing to be upgraded, mostly the O Line with Whitworth, Bodine, Zeitler, Smith all gone from 8-0 start in 2015 team. So glad O-Line was addressed and not QB as 0-16 Cleveland does every year. Thanks for your explanation on these quarterbacks, but I'm glad we drafted more major needs. GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Jim,

With all this new blood (11 new guys), do you foresee any surprising veteran cuts looming? I get that some of these guys will wind up as practice squad fodder, but a good chunk of them will probably make it. This includes 3 additions to the secondary and 2 new d-linemen, all 5th round picks or better. From my experience, our picks from the 5th round up almost always make the 53.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Maybe i'm wrong but to me Price was the guy all along. If you watch the video of the draft call to Billy, Marv is talking to him about being picked just as it flashes up on the tv that the Lions pick is in.
To be honest i don't know how it works but are we told who the Lions have chosen before the commissioner announces it? so we can then adjust our board.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps they actually played division rivals by bringing these guys in for interviews or what not with no intention of drafting either which has the effect of sewing doubt in the minds of both Pittsburgh and Baltimore to reach for them leaving available a few of the guys we actually wanted and needed . If so then well played. We got to load up on defensive talent while they can only hope these QBs will pan out. The QB position being such a crapshoot as it is why not let them squander picks for maybes? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
@Sled21 – The club is hoping that happens. He is a truly freakish athlete for the position. But injuries have really set back his development as a passer. Curious to see how they handle the preseason reps.

@Kevin – re: Drafting of Woodside. They REALLY liked him. Nearly graded close to Rudolph. They think Woodside can push Driskel and Barkley.

@ShakeNBlake – As a surprise? I’m not sure. We can all look at the dead money owed to Johnson, Iloka/Williams, LaFell, Shaw, Russell + the picks made and think they’re all on the hot seat moving forward.

@JWW1971 – You’re not wrong – I reported it and then Duke Tobin said they would have taken him at 12 on our live BBP last night at 50 West. And yes, the clubs know the picks before it’s on TV. They’re usually three picks behind on the broadcast.

@Grampahol – This is an astute observation. Jackson and Rudolph meet with the Bengals, and they are QBs taken within the division? You better believe those kids or their agents told the team they met with those other teams, too.
Reply/Quote

Jim

Can you give Merv a thesaurus or some lessons on not repeatedly using the same word over and over again? He needs to not 'regard' so much and maybe start valuing or think highly of or would like to get etc. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 03:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Can you give Merv a thesaurus or some lessons on not repeatedly using the same word over and over again? He needs to not 'regard' so much and maybe start valuing or think highly of or would like to get etc. 

You should have ended with,

Best Regards
PhilHos
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 04:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You should have ended with,

Best Regards
PhilHos

Or even, Forever regarding you with warmest regards.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Based on the Bengals bringing in a lower tiered backup in Barkley, and then not drafting a quarterback, does it appear that the Bengals don't want any 'distractions' behind Andy and that it was intentional? Basically giving him a huge cushion in case he gets in a slump. Just a thought, thanks!

But the Bengals did draft a QB...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Steelers may have wanted to get in front of the Bengals not because they thought the Bengals wanted a QB.  Instead they may have seen the Bengals as a team who would trade back again and give that spot to a different team that was looking for a QB.

But even more likely they traded up to whatever team was willing to deal with them.  I always find it funny when people say "we should have traded back" or "we should have traded up" because it takes TWO teams to trade.  I am sure there are plenty of times when we would have been willing to trade up or down and just could not find another team willing to work with us.

You know Fred, I hadn't thought of that idea, but I believe you are correct about this.

We certainly would have let someone move up ahead of the Squeelers and take their QB. In a heart beat and just for fun.

Reply/Quote