Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
The underlying truth of the matter.....
(12-11-2023, 02:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals offense has not played a defense like Baltimore or Cleveland the last couple of weeks.  Its easier to have a more balanced run vs pass offense when the defenses are not good enough to make a team one dimensional.  

Neither the Vikings or Steelers have great defenses this year so the next couple of weeks wont tell us anything either.  The last two games of the season are KC and Cleveland which should tell you more where this 
Actually Minn has played better than years past in points per game , they 5th in league, a major stat to judge defenses
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow went down and Browning came in, and the team has put up over 30 points in each of the last two weeks. The running game is now seemingly working, although neither Jax nor Indy are particularly good against the run. Some people are saying they changed the scheme (they didn't). Browning is definitely not better, or even in the same category, with Burrow. So, what is it?

Notice when Browning went out with this thumb cramp, what did McCarron do? He came in and threw a touchdown pass to Higgins.

The simple fact of the matter is really just that Zac and Duke have put together a really good football team from the top of the roster to the bottom. Vets are out there hustling and not mailing it in, rookies are playing their asses off and shining. The team supports each other and no personality clashes, no divas, no drama. Heck, DJ Turner was wearing neon green cleats that supported Mike Thomas' charity during the "My cleats, my cause" game. This is just a really good football team that is really well coached. They are going to be good for a long time with as young as they are.

0 sacks and only 3 pressures bs the Colts is the other story

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:36 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, the Steelers have the better scoring defense, 7th in the league versus 14th for the Browns.

If one goes by yards allowed per game, the Browns are best in the entire NFL, followed by Baltimore. In that Pittsburgh is 21st.

I view the better scoring defense as the 'better' defense, as points win games not yards.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I view the better scoring defense as the 'better' defense, as points win games not yards.  

Scoring is what ultimately matters although total defense does give you an idea if teams are able to move the ball against defenses.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Totally a dream watch the game. Zac’s in total control. They are running their offense minus the 25% Joe doesn’t like . It’s crystal clear. Sorry it ruins so many’s mantra

I was joking.....mostly anyway. Ummmm but maybe you should watch the game if you think this is the same offense we have been running minus 25%.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually Minn has played better than years past in points per game , they 5th in league, a major stat to judge defenses

Yeah I don't know a ton about they're defense. But they are another team that has rallied around a QB injury and they're star WR being out and been impressive really. I know Dobbs kind of fell back to earth and it may be Mullins playing this week but they are a decent team. I'm not a very big fan of they're head coach as he seems to make some hair brain decisions in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
So of the 4 Stealer sacks only one actually belongs to the OL. The other three charged to Browning and that was the game where you could tell he was having issues processing quickly (He had Yoshi wide open twice for TDs but did not pull the trigger and both turned into sacks). Jax was where the light went on so to speak and even there Jake was responsible for one or both sacks. Really once they adjusted the scheme to suit Browning the sacks have largely disappeared at the same time the rushing game has surged and scoring has surged.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Burrow went down and Browning came in, and the team has put up over 30 points in each of the last two weeks. The running game is now seemingly working, although neither Jax nor Indy are particularly good against the run. Some people are saying they changed the scheme (they didn't). Browning is definitely not better, or even in the same category, with Burrow. So, what is it?

Notice when Browning went out with this thumb cramp, what did McCarron do? He came in and threw a touchdown pass to Higgins.

The simple fact of the matter is really just that Zac and Duke have put together a really good football team from the top of the roster to the bottom. Vets are out there hustling and not mailing it in, rookies are playing their asses off and shining. The team supports each other and no personality clashes, no divas, no drama. Heck, DJ Turner was wearing neon green cleats that supported Mike Thomas' charity during the "My cleats, my cause" game. This is just a really good football team that is really well coached. They are going to be good for a long time with as young as they are.

?? Aj did not throw a TD, no way you can evaluate him, he played 2 series 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Totally a dream watch the game. Zac’s in total control. They are running their offense minus the 25% Joe doesn’t like . It’s crystal clear. Sorry it ruins so many’s mantra

I'm assuming you think Burrow is overrated or just don't like him?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ?? Aj did not throw a TD, no way you can evaluate him, he played 2 series 

Yeah he did and then the refs took it back. But he did make the play.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Can’t help but think Joe is quite aware of what is going on during the game, and will hopefully adjust some. You always have to look to get better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 02:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I hate conspiracy theories generally. But the I don't buy Zac Taylor as a play caller in me has a bit of a conspiracy for our recent success. Maybe Taylor isn't calling the plays or has been given the plays he can chose from. We had 10 days before the Steelers game yet we didn't see any of these changes. After that game sure you had tape and a whole game experience to say what Browning could and couldn't do. But he's been here all camp and season so we really had no idea what he was or wasn't capable of? Seems odd then with the quick turn around. Then someone in the organization said we are pulling this from you but we'll let you save face and not say anything public. We'll even let you design a couple of trick plays. Then we all saw how that turned out and even that got taken from him. I am mostly kidding. But this is why I don't like the committee approach. I get it that if things are going good why does it matter but we honestly don't know if there is an x factor to recent coaching/playcalling changes.

If a play goes bad, He's Taylor the Horrible. But if a play goes great, is he Taylor Swift?  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If a play goes bad, He's Taylor the Horrible. But if a play goes great, is he Taylor Swift?  Mellow

I have gone back and forth on Taylor probably more against him than for him. But the coaches deserve alot of credit for how this offense has looked the past 2 weeks. I just think it was weird how we didn't apply some of these tactics against Pittsburgh. But we learned and that's all that matters at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah he did and then the refs took it back. But he did make the play.

I will say it was after a muffed punt so it's not like he drove down there or anything. But I had to work and listened to that part driving home. Watched it quickly when I got home and didn't pay too much attention because they said he pushed off on the radio. But seeing the replay on Twitter should've been a TD his arms never extended.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 06:06 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I was joking.....mostly anyway. Ummmm but maybe you should watch the game if you think this is the same offense we have been running minus 25%.

They are man blocking more versus zone. Jake doesn’t mind turning his back to the defense in play action unlike Joe. So they are using that. Joe has done some of it. It’s every bit in their playbook just not what Joe likes. But as others have said when the OL has no sacks and only 3 pressures it’s much easier
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:39 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I'm assuming you think Burrow is overrated or just don't like him?

No I’ve said he’s one of the best in the NFL. He likes different things but he’d lit up Indy with zero sacks and just 3 pressures. He’d have benefitted from the better OL play immensely. He’s the most accurate thrower in the league. The last 2 games are more about the better play overall than any scheme modifications or magic bullet.

Reply/Quote

This team is definitely playing at another level now all across the board. For whatever reason we have been about the best team in 
December under Zac Taylor and Lou Anarumo, last I heard 10-0 over the last few years. The OL has been blocking so much better 
which has helped Browning run the Offense, more under Center play from the QB is helping the Offense and the running game, the
Defense the last two games has been much better stopping the run.

The young players and first timers have bought in and are playing great. Chase Brown, Hudson on Offense, Jordan Battle, DJ Turner, 
Ivey, Murphy, all played very good against the Colts. What I wanted to see was the veterans play better on Defense, namely the LB's
and both Pratt and Wilson did just that. Chido is looking much better etc.

Nice thread Sled. You were the first to truly buy into Zac Taylor and you have been correct. Hopefully we win out and get into the 
Playoffs, if we do, this team is extremely dangerous if what we are seeing continues....
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are man blocking more versus zone. Jake doesn’t mind turning his back to the defense in play action unlike Joe. So they are using that. Joe has done some of it. It’s every bit in their playbook just not what Joe likes. But as others have said when the OL has no sacks and only 3 pressures it’s much easier

I'm just saying they have made significant changes. I think those changes have helped the whole offense including the OL. But the biggest part of the changes that are helping us is teams have a season worth of tape we aren't implementing. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I will say it was after a muffed punt so it's not like he drove down there or anything. But I had to work and listened to that part driving home. Watched it quickly when I got home and didn't pay too much attention because they said he pushed off on the radio. But seeing the replay on Twitter should've been a TD his arms never extended.

Yeah I’m not saying he drove the field, just that he threw a legit TD pass and Tee got a bad call.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 05:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 0 sacks and only 3 pressures bs the Colts is the other story

Never thought I’d read those stats this season.

Awesome
Reply/Quote