Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
The underlying truth of the matter.....
(12-14-2023, 04:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Burrow likes SG

His ass needs to start liking under center lol

We are too scary when we can keep linebackers at bay due to screens and play actions

I feel like Jake hasn’t even been CLOSE to getting sacked these last games.

Iv always liked schemes where it’s 2 reads and run. I always felt the Burrow offense was a bit too hard because it not only demands on time reads but it also demands elite accuracy and demands elite processing of defenses. Every pass doesn’t have to be a tight window pass. You are allowed to have half field reads and plays where there’s only 2 reads. Our issue is every play has 4-5 reads and it puts pressure on Burrow to be elite.

When Burrow gets back we need to call waaaaay more plays where it’s “hey if these2 routes aren’t open just Check down or run.

It makes playing simple. Also WRs tend to run harder on those plays because they know they are getting the ball if they get open.

Keep the RPOs and add more to that.

Continue running

Continue screens to Chase Brown.

Half the pass plays we call should be “no thinking needed” plays, where you read 1-2 guys then throw or run

Yeah Burrow likes empty because you get the max # of guys available to decipher from. He also doesn't like under center play action because you turn your back to the field and valuable information. I get it because he is capable and you in theory maximize your potential on any given play. I really don't think we should rid of it entirely and I'm sure they won't but we should be merging the two. I think the real clue that we should be doing this to Burrow isn't that it will make life easier on him which I would think it will. But the whole offense seems to be thriving in this system and it's making it easier from the top down. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 04:15 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We started going primarily shotgun after the 1st handful of games last year. So the 78% was really much higher for much of the year last year and not just something to help Burrows injury. 

We were going primarily shotgun the entire season. The first four weeks they were in shotgun 65% of the time. After that, they increased it and went shotgun 81% of the time. This was done primarily due to the horrific run game and they modified their offense to try to rectify the issue. Through the first four weeks, Cincinnati averaged 89 yards per game on the ground with a terrible 3.45 yards per carry. The only two teams worse were the Bucs and the Rams.

Quote:Also conversely is that 72% # for Browning the last 2 games? Or the 3 games he has been the starter. Because a against Pitt we had him running the offense we had been running and that could also be skewing the #s.

I answered this in the original post. It is for the past two games, so excluding Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 04:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And like twominutes says I hope Joe Burrow and ZT are taking notes and learning there is another way. You can always learn.

I just very unsure that the Bengals can be all that they can be using so much shotgun/empty/RPO crap??

That is what is great, they are both young and are learning. We can run the Gun, empty sets and RPO at times, just not the 
majority of the time. It is just nice seeing Zac doing this with Jake Browning, it is nice also seeing Joe seeing it be successful.

There was a thread about this maybe being a blessing in disguise with the Burrow injury and it could be just that.

Very good learning experience for both our HC and our Franchise QB for the foreseeable future.

(12-14-2023, 04:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Burrow likes SG

His ass needs to start liking under center lol

We are too scary when we can keep linebackers at bay due to screens and play actions

I feel like Jake hasn’t even been CLOSE to getting sacked these last games.

Iv always liked schemes where it’s 2 reads and run. I always felt the Burrow offense was a bit too hard because it not only demands on time reads but it also demands elite accuracy and demands elite processing of defenses. Every pass doesn’t have to be a tight window pass. You are allowed to have half field reads and plays where there’s only 2 reads. Our issue is every play has 4-5 reads and it puts pressure on Burrow to be elite.

When Burrow gets back we need to call waaaaay more plays where it’s “hey if these2 routes aren’t open just Check down or run.

It makes playing simple. Also WRs tend to run harder on those plays because they know they are getting the ball if they get open.

Keep the RPOs and add more to that.

Continue running

Continue screens to Chase Brown.

Half the pass plays we call should be “no thinking needed” plays, where you read 1-2 guys then throw or run

The variety of plays and most importantly the way they are being executed is just refreshing. It doesn't have to be complicated
and like you said, Burrow doesn't have to be elite in this type of Offense. Just makes everything easier, when Burrow buys into 
this I don't know how good this Offense can be with the OL settling in and a guy like Chase Brown in the fold.

In the mean time I hope Browning continues to be successful while our OL gets better and better going into the Postseason.

We need to win out so there is no doubt we make the Playoffs, one game at a time though. The Vikings shouldn't be pushovers
even if I think the Colts and Jaguars are much better teams. Cannot overlook these guys, every game from here on out needs to 
be looked at as a Playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 05:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: We were going primarily shotgun the entire season. The first four weeks they were in shotgun 65% of the time. After that, they increased it and went shotgun 81% of the time. This was done primarily due to the horrific run game and they modified their offense to try to rectify the issue. Through the first four weeks, Cincinnati averaged 89 yards per game on the ground with a terrible 3.45 yards per carry. The only two teams worse were the Bucs and the Rams.

I answered this in the original post. It is for the past two games, so excluding Pitt.

I remember there was the whole is Mixon tipping the play fiasco because we were trying to run from under center and someone noticed he put his hands on his knees in the stance when he ran.

I looked at it and it looks like your right on the percentage. But we were still really heavy shotgun vs Jax and alot closer to a 50% split against Indy. Will be curious if the trend continues.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 12:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: Particularly given that the Bengals gave up zero sacks for the first time since game 3 of the 2021 season. 

It is amazing how effective mixing play calls up and playing under center makes.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 12:35 PM)M.W. Wrote: It is amazing how effective mixing play calls up and playing under center makes.

They were in gun a lot today. Opponents dictate what you game plan for. Another solid effort from the offensive staff, and damn Jake Feisty Browning

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote