Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The vending machines at work
(11-04-2015, 11:43 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: So if a company offers some sort of refreshment for their workers, they should have to sell it at the same price they buy it for or whatever?

Sounds like a great way to not have the company offer any sort of refreshment for their workers. I see no harm here. If you're not OK with the vending machine situation, bring your own. Really don't see an issue here.

This isn't really the issue.

The realization that a certain percentage of your time and money goes right back to the company, essentially meaning that that certain percentage, however small, equals your free labor, unless your company donates the money, which I'd be willing to bet they only donate a (small) portion back to the workers or community.

Think about how much money a company with say ... 200 workers makes in a given year off of vending. Now, how big was your Xmas party?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If you're giving your money right back to the company that pays you, you're working for free. Despite the sugar (pun intended) coating. 

If you work, and get money for it, you're not working for free.  Even if you just hand it back to your employer, you're still not working for free, because you got paid....you're just a dumbass for giving your money away.  In your situation, you're getting something in return.  If you're working for free, then you don't have the income to make the purchase.  

I stand by my ruling....you're working for candy.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jesus Goddamn Christ. Sometimes 65 pennies for Frito's is 65 pennies for Frito's. Only the evilest of people want to make money and us poor schmohawks just want our snacks.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:55 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This isn't really the issue.

The realization that a certain percentage of your time and money goes right back to the company, essentially meaning that that certain percentage, however small, equals your free labor, unless your company donates the money, which I'd be willing to bet they only donate a (small) portion back to the workers or community.

Think about how much money a company with say ... 200 workers makes in a given year off of vending. Now, how big was your Xmas party?

If I work at a grocery store and buy my groceries there did I "work for free?"
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 12:45 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If you work, and get money for it, you're not working for free.  Even if you just hand it back to your employer, you're still not working for free, because you got paid....you're just a dumbass for giving your money away.  In your situation, you're getting something in return.  If you're working for free, then you don't have the income to make the purchase.  

I stand by my ruling....you're working for candy.

You are working for free when the company pays nothing for those snacks and makes a percentage of the profits. You are in fact just giving them your money. 

It's a matter of perspective. 

Like I said though, no sweat off my balls. I won't be doing it though, so more Fritos for you's guys I suppose. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 12:56 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: If I work at a grocery store and buy my groceries there did I "work for free?"

Hadn't really thought about it, but yeah pretty much I guess. Unless you're offered some sort of discount or something. However food is a necessity, so ... I don't know, I guess there's an exception or two to be made.

Like I said, it's a matter of perspective, as are most things.

Im not sure what I expected when I wrote this. But i can't say that I'm surprised people would defend their employers. Some employers are great. Some not so much. All in all, I'd consider that a wash. I would hope though that I've shed some measure of light on something that is so often overlooked. You can thank your employer for offering a $1.00 can of soda. I'll pass though.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 01:16 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Hadn't really thought about it, but yeah pretty much I guess. Unless you're offered some sort of discount or something. However food is a necessity, so ... I don't know, I guess there's an exception or two to be made.

Like I said, it's a matter of perspective, as are most things.

Im not sure what I expected when I wrote this. But i can't say that I'm surprised people would defend their employers. Some employers are great. Some not so much. All in all, I'd consider that a wash.  I would hope though that I've shed some measure of light on something that is so often overlooked. You can thank your employer for offering a $1.00 can of soda. I'll pass though.

No matter where you go, someone is going to get that profit you talk about. If it's your employer, the gas station, the supermarket, whatever. Unless you grow your own of course. 

What's the solution to you? Buy from somewhere else so another establishment gets the profit? 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 01:29 AM)RorCKwi88 Wrote: No matter where you go, someone is going to get that profit you talk about. If it's your employer, the gas station, the supermarket, whatever. Unless you grow your own of course. 

What's the solution to you? Buy from somewhere else so another establishment gets the profit? 

Profit isn't the issue. 

Giving a portion of your wage back to your employer, is. 
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy your snack or pop at work than to drive up to the store and buy it?

Unless of course you pack your lunch and a snack at break time which will be cheaper all around. It always has been and always will be cheaper to pack your own.

I don't get this thinking you're having about this DA. If you want a pop and your company has a vending machine that sells pop for however much, it will be cheaper for you to buy that pop there rather than drive up to the store, spending money on the gas and buying a pop at the store which will cost about the same or more than what your company offers. What it sounds like you're saying is that you would rather pay $2.00 for a pop rather than pay $1.50 just because you company will get .30 cents.

Now add that up over the course of a year.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 02:46 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy your snack or pop at work than to drive up to the store and buy it?

Unless of course you pack your lunch and a snack at break time which will be cheaper all around. It always has been and always will be cheaper to pack your own.

I don't get this thinking you're having about this DA. If you want a pop and your company has a vending machine that sells pop for however much, it will be cheaper for you to buy that pop there rather than drive up to the store, spending money on the gas and buying a pop at the store which will cost about the same or more than what your company offers. What it sounds like you're saying is that you would rather pay $2.00 for a pop rather than pay $1.50 just because you company will get .30 cents.

Now add that up over the course of a year.

I pack my lunch and drinks. 

You're right though. The cost of a drive to the store or McDee's over the course of a year, even only 2 or 3x a week is ridiculous. 

Listen, I'm just pointing out that we give our hard earned money right back to the company when we use the vending machines at work. Yeah, mostly they only get a percentage ( sometimes it's all profit  if they're the vendor as well). If that's what you wanna do, fine. Perhaps though, looking at it this way, one may be less inclined to lose a portion of their pay before even leaving the building. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 02:25 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Profit isn't the issue. 

Giving a portion of your wage back to your employer, is. 

So how pissed should I be considering I work for the state government? They get a piece of my wage every damn transaction! LOL
Reply/Quote
OMG!!  OMG!! Just look at the numbera!!!

If you buy a candy bat a coke from the vending machine that cost about $2.50.  If the company gets 10% then that means they get a quarter for providing convenient snacks and drinks to their employees.  

If you make $12 an hour that means you are working SEVENTY-FIVE SECONDS for FREE.

TIME FOR A REVOLT AGAINST THE CAPITALIST OVERLORDS!!!!!
Reply/Quote
BTW I'll bet if they took out the vending machines a lot of employees would complain.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW I'll bet if they took out the vending machines a lot of employees would complain.

Right, they are providing a convenience to the employees. If they employees did not want them, they would not be there. I fail to see how this is "working for free". You have purchased something, like every other exchange of money for goods. Do you expect them to give them goods for free? If your issue is the "kick back", why should the company provide space of value and a captivated audience to the vending company for free? Should the vending company not have to pay to basically lease the space for their vending machines?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:49 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah really. Bottom line is you're giving your money right back to the company, essentially working for free in some percentage. 

You can do it if you want. That's your bidness. But you won't see me giving them one red cent. 

What does that even mean, 'one red cent'?

Lets 

so you wont support the place that pays you?
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 02:59 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I pack my lunch and drinks. 

You're right though. The cost of a drive to the store or McDee's over the course of a year, even only 2 or 3x a week is ridiculous. 

Listen, I'm just pointing out that we give our hard earned money right back to the company when we use the vending machines at work. Yeah, mostly they only get a percentage ( sometimes it's all profit  if they're the vendor as well). If that's what you wanna do, fine. Perhaps though, looking at it this way, one may be less inclined to lose a portion of their pay before even leaving the building. 

I forgot to add....
We get "certificates" (fake money) to use in the machines, if our safety record is good, and also if we meet production goals.
It's only like $10 worth/month, but it's still pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: so you wont support the place that pays you?

I believe that's accomplished with my effort, time and production. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW I'll bet if they took out the vending machines a lot of employees would complain.

I'm sure they would. 

You can lead an employee to the vending machine, as they say ...
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: Right, they are providing a convenience to the employees. If they employees did not want them, they would not be there. I fail to see how this is "working for free". You have purchased something, like every other exchange of money for goods. Do you expect them to give them goods for free? If your issue is the "kick back", why should the company provide space of value and a captivated audience to the vending company for free? Should the vending company not have to pay to basically lease the space for their vending machines?

The vending machines are an option nearly everyone enjoys. They serve their purpose. However, I'm here to bring another perspective. You can take it or leave it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 09:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: OMG!!  OMG!! Just look at the numbera!!!

If you buy a candy bat a coke from the vending machine that cost about $2.50.  If the company gets 10% then that means they get a quarter for providing convenient snacks and drinks to their employees.  

If you make $12 an hour that means you are working SEVENTY-FIVE SECONDS for FREE.

TIME FOR A REVOLT AGAINST THE CAPITALIST OVERLORDS!!!!!

You know, it's not gonna add up to the waste of say, cigarettes or something of that nature, but it does add up over time. With your low estimations, it adds up to over 17 hours over a 30 yr career. But I'd bet, and I've seen it with my own eyes that the average is closer to $5.00 per day, so essentially you're working an entire week for free during those same 30 yrs, which doesn't include all those weekends you've spent at your job, so factor that in too. So now you're looking at even more than one week. If you're like me and work nearly every Saturday, then you can bet it's closer to two  wks over the course of a career. Now factor in the average amount of employees that do this and you'll quickly realize a given company is shaving years outta their employees. 
Reply/Quote