Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The vending machines at work
(11-05-2015, 01:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I forgot to add....
We get "certificates" (fake money) to use in the machines, if our safety record is good, and also if we meet production goals.
It's only like $10 worth/month, but it's still pretty cool.

That is pretty cool. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:20 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: You know, it's not gonna add up to the waste of say, cigarettes or something of that nature, but it does add up over time. With your low estimations, it adds up to over 17 hours over a 30 yr career. But I'd bet, and I've seen it with my own eyes that the average is closer to $5.00 per day, so essentially you're working an entire week for free during those same 30 yrs, which doesn't include all those weekends you've spent at your job, so factor that in too. So now you're looking at even more than one week. If you're like me and work nearly every Saturday, then you can bet it's closer to two  wks over the course of a career. Now factor in the average amount of employees that do this and you'll quickly realize a given company is shaving years outta their employees. 

We used to have a cigarette machine, too...lol
When we were owned by Phillip Morris.
It was cheaper than retail.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:05 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I'm here to bring another perspective. You can take it or leave it. 

We're leaving it. Most people aren't of the same "everyone is out to get me" paranoia that pervades your posts and thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 09:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: We're leaving it. Most people aren't of the same "everyone is out to get me" paranoia that pervades your posts and thoughts.

Like cows walking themselves to the slaughter, lol
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:49 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: We used to have a cigarette machine, too...lol
When we were owned by Phillip Morris.
It was cheaper than retail.

Lol. Well we all need the essentials at arms length. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If you're giving your money right back to the company that pays you, you're working for free. Despite the sugar (pun intended) coating. 

Granted, I haven't read this entire thread. And, granted, I've had a few drinks. Granted, my math skills aren't my best skills (that would be naked pogo-stick calf wrangling). 

But if you spend $3 every day on Cokes and candy bars... and that's all you make during an 8 hour shift... you probably work in China for Apple.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Devils Advocate is secretly Jonathan Joseph Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:20 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: You know, it's not gonna add up to the waste of say, cigarettes or something of that nature, but it does add up over time. With your low estimations, it adds up to over 17 hours over a 30 yr career. But I'd bet, and I've seen it with my own eyes that the average is closer to $5.00 per day, so essentially you're working an entire week for free during those same 30 yrs, which doesn't include all those weekends you've spent at your job, so factor that in too. So now you're looking at even more than one week. If you're like me and work nearly every Saturday, then you can bet it's closer to two  wks over the course of a career. Now factor in the average amount of employees that do this and you'll quickly realize a given company is shaving years outta their employees. 

If you are going to get this upset about 75 seconds a day I hope your boss starts making you clock out everytime you go to the bathroom at work.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you are going to get this upset about 75 seconds a day I hope your boss starts making you clock out everytime you go to the bathroom at work.

I'm not upset. 

And I'm a model employee where restroom breaks are concerned. It's true. I may be lacking in many areas but taking advantage of 'restroom breaks' is not one of them. It's a huge pet peeve of my to have employees/coworkers run to the restroom every hour. Tells you a lot about that person, unless of course there's a medical condition or something.  
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:20 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: On the flipside, if your company offers free coffee, keep a close eye on that. When that goes away, your job may be next.

No, the free coffee totally outlasted me at my last 2 jobs.
Reply/Quote
I still don't get how it can be considered "working for free" when you're getting something that you enjoy out of the money that you get paid with.

That part of this conversation is a hang up for me that ruins the whole thing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:51 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I'm not upset. 

And I'm a model employee where restroom breaks are concerned. It's true. I may be lacking in many areas but taking advantage of 'restroom breaks' is not one of them. It's a huge pet peeve of my to have employees/coworkers run to the restroom every hour. Tells you a lot about that person, unless of course there's a medical condition or something.  

I still bet you take more than 75 seconds to use the restroom at work.

Don't you think your employer would be justified to not pay you for that time?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I still bet you take more than 75 seconds to use the restroom at work.

Don't you think your employer would be justified to not pay you for that time?

The vending machine pays for his restroom lollygagging.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:51 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I'm not upset. 

Wait a second.  You use the restroom at work...  But if none of the employees used the bathroom at work, the employer wouldn't have to buy toilet paper and soap.  And then that X amount of dollars they spend on toiletries could be given to the employees as raises.  So every time you crap at work, you're basically asking for a pay cut.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:44 PM)bearstronaut Wrote: Wait a second.  You use the restroom at work...  But if none of the employees used the bathroom at work, the employer wouldn't have to buy toilet paper and soap.  And then that X amount of dollars they spend on toiletries could be given to the employees as raises.  So every time you crap at work, you're basically asking for a pay cut.

[Image: huh.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:49 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah really. Bottom line is you're giving your money right back to the company, essentially working for free in some percentage. 

You can do it if you want. That's your bidness. But you won't see me giving them one red cent. 

What does that even mean, 'one red cent'?

Lets 

If i'm buying several hundred dollars a week in snacks, i have bigger problems than working for free. 

Anyway, we have 1 vending machine at work and i know for a fact that some dude that has nothing to do with our company, owns it and fills it periodically. Which, for me, means i'm definitely not working for free at any percentage. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 08:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If i'm buying several hundred dollars a week in snacks, i have bigger problems than working for free. 

Anyway, we have 1 vending machine at work and i know for a fact that some dude that has nothing to do with our company, owns it and fills it periodically. Which, for me, means i'm definitely not working for free at any percentage. Wink

Yeah but and he pays a certain percentage to the company in order to have his machine there. 

Which is a terrific idea to support. You have won my vote good sir. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 11:54 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah but and he pays a certain percentage to the company in order to have his machine there. 

Which is a terrific idea to support. You have won my vote good sir. 

Right, because people who own vending machines should never have to pay anyone for a place to put their machines.  They should just be allowed to place them anywhere they want for free with out any benefit to the actual property owner.

Rolleyes

So tell me DA, if the company got rid of the machines that means they would be losing profits.  Would you accept a pay cut to make up for the lost profits if the machines were removed?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because people who own vending machines should never have to pay anyone for a place to put their machines.  They should just be allowed to place them anywhere they want for free with out any benefit to the actual property owner.

Rolleyes

So tell me DA, if the company got rid of the machines that means they would be losing profits.  Would you accept a pay cut to make up for the lost profits if the machines were removed?

Hold on there Fred. Rfaulk helped me to rethink this idea. Supporting small businesses is awesome. I just didn't see it that way until I read his response. If it were a snake it'd bit me. I concede this thread. Rfaulk has changed my mind.   
Reply/Quote
The school I work at charges $1.50 for bottles of soda in the machines. I went to another school for a year and they charged $1.00. I was told the staff flipped out when they tried to change it to $1.25, so they have kept it at a $1.00 since.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote