Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The worlds most liveable city
(06-24-2022, 11:44 AM)hollodero Wrote: And yet again, first this is amazing. People go to Salzburg and focus on the Sound of Music... this is the city of Mozart, the Salzburg Festivals, a cradle of our culture... yet Americans are all about Trapp.

I actually was born in Salzburg. Yeah, it's a postcard city for sure. Now when it comes to the people who live there... well, I'd rather stick to the positives.

Did Mozart write "My Favorite Things"?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Did Mozart write "My Favorite Things"?

I thought Mozart was the guy who played keyboards for YES after Rick Wakeman buggered off.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Did Mozart write "My Favorite Things"?

*sigh* yeah I guess at this point I might just as well go with "yes". Yes, he absolutely did write that, and he made that woman call schnitzel with noodles one of her favorite things. What an abomination. But well that's our good old Amadeus, tasteless as always.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 11:44 AM)hollodero Wrote: And yet again, first this is amazing. People go to Salzburg and focus on the Sound of Music... this is the city of Mozart, the Salzburg Festivals, a cradle of our culture... yet Americans are all about Trapp.

I actually was born in Salzburg. Yeah, it's a postcard city for sure. Now when it comes to the people who live there... well, I'd rather stick to the positives.

I never said we went there just for The Sound of Music. We saw Mozart's house, we visited Mirabell Gardens, and took the Funicular to the fortress where the views of the mountains were amazing, and we went to the markets. 
Reply/Quote
Spoiler alert: Vienna was heavily involved in the start of WWI and industrial killing. So much for livable.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 01:57 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I never said we went there just for The Sound of Music. We saw Mozart's house, we visited Mirabell Gardens, and took the Funicular to the fortress where the views of the mountains were amazing, and we went to the markets. 

Ah I said you focused on it... which was not meant as an offense or anything, it's just something pretty much any Austrian would find remarkable including Salzburg folks. I know the city, many of its inhabitants, they are proud of a million things (and will tell you about each and every one of them) but Sound of Music isn't among them. 

I see you also did the "normal" tourist stuff too.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 06:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Spoiler alert: Vienna was heavily involved in the start of WWI and industrial killing. So much for livable.. 

Hey come on, this was a long time ago... and the Serbs killed our emperor's son first. It's as if some foreign country shot Hunter Biden, just more tragic. And well, we learned our lesson after WWI and hardly bothered the world ever again. Who hasn't started two world wars really.
Reply/Quote
Of course no American city is considered top 10 livable. We're a third world country in a Gucci knockoff belt.

***** shit hole country
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 03:18 AM)hollodero Wrote: Ah I said you focused on it... which was not meant as an offense or anything, it's just something pretty much any Austrian would find remarkable including Salzburg folks. I know the city, many of its inhabitants, they are proud of a million things (and will tell you about each and every one of them) but Sound of Music isn't among them. 

I see you also did the "normal" tourist stuff too.

Open this link to Salzburg tourism and see what pops up on the front page.

https://www.salzburg.info/en
Reply/Quote
Btw...the picture that showed up on my computer today was Lake Weisssee in the Kauner Valley. Outside of three "s" in a row in a word, that's pretty badass.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 12:41 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Open this link to Salzburg tourism and see what pops up on the front page.

https://www.salzburg.info/en

Oh wow, I stand somewhat corrected.

Thanaks, American tourists.

(06-29-2022, 09:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Btw...the picture that showed up on my computer today was Lake Weisssee in the Kauner Valley.  Outside of three "s" in a row in a word, that's pretty badass.

3 bad s'es... that's why we have this letter: an "ß". We write Weißsee. As in white lake.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2022, 04:41 AM)hollodero Wrote: Is it a matter of taste, of personal preference, a purely subjective verdict? No! It can be measured and the title goes to my home town of Vienna.
Says the Economist, so it has to be true.

We have great public transportation, good health care, a rich cultural offering, so they say. True. I can get in the subway, visit great museums or the Opera, then have an excellent dinner, and if I break a leg in the process they patch it back together cost-free.

Not that I do any of that, sure. I sit at home and hang around on a board for the football team of the 18th unfriendliest city in the world, where I engage in increasingly depressing political debates with a bunch of Steelers fans, because of course. But I could! That's worth something. Now let me look down on the US in sheer arrogance since none of your shabby cities even make the top ten.

We aren't friendly here. We have guns.

Now get off our lawn. You're making us nervous!

Wink
[Image: 291562607_565923161640672_31329410794500...e=62C5BD72]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 03:24 AM)hollodero Wrote: Hey come on, this was a long time ago... and the Serbs killed our emperor's son first. It's as if some foreign country shot Hunter Biden, just more tragic. And well, we learned our lesson after WWI and hardly bothered the world ever again. Who hasn't started two world wars really.

Yeah. You guys were a lot better off once you unshackled from those Hungarians. They don't even have a proper European language! With no Ottomans around anymore, you really didn't need them.

And that Nazi-thing with Germany, that was just a passing phase. I mean, for awhile everyone was jumping on that bandwagon, eh. Although, you guys did sort of luck out in ending up part of the "West" during the Cold War. I cringe to think of what Mozart's operas would have sounded like in Russian!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 09:02 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh wow, I stand somewhat corrected.

3 bad s'es... that's why we have this letter: an "ß". We write Weißsee. As in white lake.

Quote:Thanaks, American tourists.
I doubt very much if just Americans are interested in TSOM. I'd bet that there are many tourists from other countries interested.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 06:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yeah. You guys were a lot better off once you unshackled from those Hungarians. They don't even have a proper European language! With no Ottomans around anymore, you really didn't need them.

And that Nazi-thing with Germany, that was just a passing phase. I mean, for awhile everyone was jumping on that bandwagon, eh. Although, you guys did sort of luck out in ending up part of the "West" during the Cold War. I cringe to think of what Mozart's operas would have sounded like in Russian!!!

Wait, is this from Trump's famous "America first, Austria second" speech?
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 06:17 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I doubt very much if just Americans are interested in TSOM. I'd bet that there are many tourists from other countries interested.

Possibly. All I can say is that I asked around a bit and no one here knew much more about Sound of Music than that it exists.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 07:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: Wait, is this from Trump's famous "America first, Austria second" speech?

I suspect he still thinks the Nazi's are in charge in Austria.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2022, 09:02 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh wow, I stand somewhat corrected.

Damn all those years of German and I have a complete block of what the funny B is called. I’m about 95% sure we didn’t call it a funny B

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 07:17 PM)hollodero Wrote: Possibly. All I can say is that I asked around a bit and no one here knew much more about Sound of Music than that it exists.

Could it be that the people you asked were young people? After all TSOM first came out almost 60 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 08:56 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Could it be that the people you asked were young people? After all TSOM first came out almost 60 years ago.

Well, they were as old as me. don't know how old you think I am. If you think 17 I won't correct you.

Still, all of them knew many things about Mozart though that dude is way older.
Reply/Quote