Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Their Bengals Careers are Over
on 5/2 the Bengals announced the following players were NOT asked to re-sign with the team

LS Clark Harris- hope he has a great retirement. I would love to see he and Kevin Huber as "Rulers of the Jungle" next season
QB-Brandon Allen-so this was before he signed with the 49ers. They had planned for him to move on
S Brandon Wilson-he just wasn't a good enough S to hang on once he lost his return job
CB-Trey Flowers
CB-Chris Lammons- he had 3 days before he was charged with assault
and
CB Eli Apple-so all the speculation can end. Looks like unless someone gets desperate his NFL career is over

Mitchell Wilcox is still apparently in the mix

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We should have seen Hakeem Adeniji on that list or if under contract already cut.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: on 5/2 the Bengals announced the following players were NOT asked to re-sign with the team

LS Clark Harris- hope he has a great retirement.  I would love to see he and Kevin Huber as "Rulers of the Jungle" next season
QB-Brandon Allen-so this was before he signed with the 49ers.  They had planned for him to move on
S  Brandon Wilson-he just wasn't a good enough S to hang on once he lost his return job
CB-Trey Flowers
CB-Chris  Lammons- he had 3 days before he was charged with assault
and
CB Eli Apple-so all the speculation can end.  Looks like unless someone gets desperate his NFL career is over

I am absolutely on board with you on Harris/Huber as co-Rulers of the Jungle.  

I wish all these guys the very best.  Maybe they catch on somewhere; maybe not.  The transition to "civilian life" will be tougher for some than others.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: on 5/2 the Bengals announced the following players were NOT asked to re-sign with the team

LS Clark Harris- hope he has a great retirement.  I would love to see he and Kevin Huber as "Rulers of the Jungle" next season
QB-Brandon Allen-so this was before he signed with the 49ers.  They had planned for him to move on
S  Brandon Wilson-he just wasn't a good enough S to hang on once he lost his return job
CB-Trey Flowers
and
CB Eli Apple-so all the speculation can end.  Looks like unless someone gets desperate his NFL career is over

Thanks for this pally. Will adjust roster stuff accordingly.  

https://www.bengals.com/team/transactions/#:~:text=The%20following%20six%20unrestricted%20free,Lammons%20and%20S%20Brandon%20Wilson.
Reply/Quote
Teams can do a lot worse than the starting CB on a Conference/Superbowl caliber team that was key in 5 post season wins.

Eli may just need to lower his asking price. I doubt his career is over.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

CB-Trey Flowers
and

I'm bummed to see Harris and Flowers go. For Harris, it was time. For Flowers, I guess we've decided that Hill/Battle/Turner will take Flowers' snaps. I'll always remember Flowers shutting down TEs in the 2021 season, but his 2022 was pretty mediocre.

I'm partially bummed to see Apple go because I think he played well above his pay grade, but he was turning us into the villain of the NFL. And I get that that doesn't mean very much, but it still meant something. His snaps will go elsewhere this season, but he'll always be a phone call away if injuries occur.

Allen was a sub par back up QB who was only able to hang on to the job because of his role as mentor and coach's favorite. I hope his absence on the sideline does not negatively affect Burrow, but I don't expect it to.

Don't know who Lammons is, so don't care about that at all and Wilson contributed absolutely nothing to the team in his last 2 seasons. He was an overpaid return man who lost his return job. Glad to see him off the books.
Reply/Quote
Flowers and Apple played well for us especially considering their salaries. I would have been happy getting either/both back.

Harris was good but we have to move on eventually. It was time to let the rest of them walk.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 01:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: Teams can do a lot worse than the starting CB on a Conference/Superbowl caliber team that was key in 5 post season wins.

Eli burns bridges wherever he goes...that does not make friends or GM's take positive notice.  Does his play overcome his talk?  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'd add that Clay Johnston was not on the list, and oissibly still in the mix as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 01:27 PM)pally Wrote: Eli burns bridges wherever he goes...that does not make friends or GM's take positive notice.  Does his play overcome his talk?  

He hasn't burned any bridges while with the team. His teammates have never slammed him. I think GM's have stronger skin then fans who get mad at him for saying New Orleans food sucked (which is all he said about NO) etc. He might slam our Chili if he signs somewhere else, but we can't act like GM's who put up with arrests etc, can't take a little banter. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

CB-Trey Flowers
and

Don't like ruling out Apple or Flowers, happy that Wilcox is still in the mix.
Reply/Quote
Apple’s nfl career is not over lmao

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Not because he was a Bengal, but Harris is the best LS in NFL history: he had, I'd say over a thousand snaps for both punts and kicks, if not significantly more.

And I watched them all.

And he never had a SINGLE bad snap.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I cannot believe we don’t want Apple or Flowers back. Both played well.

Wasn’t it Flowers that had that great pick in the playoffs?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 01:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: We should have seen Hakeem Adeniji on that list or if under contract already cut.

The fact that he isn't is honestly disgusting. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 01:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: Teams can do a lot worse than the starting CB on a Conference/Superbowl caliber team that was key in 5 post season wins.

Yep - he's still a pretty solid corner back. He will get picked up by someone. If not, he will be a short phone call away this season if our secondary gets depleted. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The fact that he isn't is honestly disgusting. 

He has to have a photo of Zac Taylor doing coke off a booty that isn’t his wives or something because that 2021 Superbowl game really should’ve been his swan song here in a Cincy.

His issue is he’ll suck for like a bunch of games then he’ll have a game where he’s very solid that makes you think there’s something to him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This is a list of players who are mostly being replaced by younger/cheaper options. They won’t break the bank but the young guys need to step up and show why they were drafted. It’s also good to save (a little) $ whenever possible if you think you can get the same or better production.

It doesn’t surprise me to see the DBs on this list - the past two drafts have shown that they are doing a complete over haul of the defensive backfield.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:18 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: This is a list of players who are mostly being replaced by younger/cheaper options.  They won’t break the bank but the young guys need to step up and show why they were drafted. It’s also good to save (a little) $ whenever possible if you think you can get the same or better production.

It doesn’t surprise me to see the DBs on this list - the past two drafts have shown that they are doing a complete over haul of the defensive backfield.

I would say more likely younger/more talented options as none of the players on that list were particularly costly options.  It's always sad to see players who have been with the team move on, but perhaps the team felt those guys had reached their ceilings, as far as talent development goes?  The team went after a lot of fast, highly explosive athletes in this draft.  They clearly seem to be looking to restock the depth with higher capability players to develop into someday starters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

CB-Trey Flowers
and

Wilcox should be added to compete with Sample and Asiasi for backup duties.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote