Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
There’s a Way to Wake Up the Offensive Line — But it’s Too Mean
While I highly doubt Lou Anarumo would do this and I doubt even more Zac Taylor would allow it, the key to better offensive line play lies with the defense in practice. Now we all know most offense vs. defense practice, per NFLPA rules, is limited to “walk through” type reps with very little actual full out hitting permitted. In scrimmage situations while in pads hitting is permitted but no one goes full out.

However, on the first play in practice against the offense I suggest the defensive line just run a full out full strength bull rush into the offensive line; just knock them on their rear ends. Hard. Those offensive linemen might even get up angry — and they need to play that way. I have no idea why the Bengals even pay for those sled-like blocking apparatuses when the line always moves backwards!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While I highly doubt Lou Anarumo would do this and I doubt even more Zac Taylor would allow it, the key to better offensive line play lies with the defense in practice.  Now we all know most offense vs. defense practice, per NFLPA rules, is limited to “walk through” type reps with very little actual full out hitting permitted. In scrimmage situations while in pads hitting is permitted but no one goes full out.  

However, on the first play in practice against the offense I suggest the defensive line just run a full out full strength bull rush into the offensive line; just knock them on their rear ends.  Hard.  Those offensive linemen might even get up angry — and they need to play that way.  I have no idea why the Bengals even pay for those sled-like blocking apparatuses when the line always moves backwards!

When your friend does something wrong, i'd like you to run and push him down on the ground, then come back and tell me how that went. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I like it!

I’d also like to see them try some drastic changes to get the 5 best guys out there. The theory is protect from the inside out, so put our two best guys at LG and RG, Jonah at LG and Hart at RG. Then put Johnson and Adeniji out at LT and RT. Might not work, but I’d be willing to try it at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: When your friend does something wrong, i'd like you to run and push him down on the ground, then come back and tell me how that went. 

Are you trying to get your best friend to play angry and aggressive?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:  I have no idea why the Bengals even pay for those sled-like blocking apparatuses when the line always moves backwards!

The line does not move backwards.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The line does not move backwards.

Right... they move laterally so the defense can get by...
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right... they move laterally so the defense can get by...

It’s a very complicated, specialized technique taught only by Jim Turner. It’s called the “Ole”.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While I highly doubt Lou Anarumo would do this and I doubt even more Zac Taylor would allow it, the key to better offensive line play lies with the defense in practice.  Now we all know most offense vs. defense practice, per NFLPA rules, is limited to “walk through” type reps with very little actual full out hitting permitted. In scrimmage situations while in pads hitting is permitted but no one goes full out.  

However, on the first play in practice against the offense I suggest the defensive line just run a full out full strength bull rush into the offensive line; just knock them on their rear ends.  Hard.  Those offensive linemen might even get up angry — and they need to play that way.  I have no idea why the Bengals even pay for those sled-like blocking apparatuses when the line always moves backwards!

I figured you were gonna say put em in front of a firing squad.

I have no idea why they have those blocking sleds still ? They need some red capes and spanish music.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Are you trying to get your best friend to play angry and aggressive?

That's not going to get anyone to play angry and aggressive. It's going to start a major brawl. That's the point. 

No one even goes up to a coworker and say in a mean voice, "you know, you really suck at your job right now. Why don't you try harder."

Some of this shit is so easy to understand...i don't know why people even post like that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I thought all it took was a QB saying "You are accountable" with an angry look on his face.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 05:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right... they move laterally so the defense can get by...

Yet we have gained positive yardage on 104 of 132 rushes..

I am not saying our O-line is good.  In fact they look pretty bad.  I just don't see the point in making up stuff to say about them that is not true.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet we have gained positive yardage on 104 of 132 rushes..

I am not saying our O-line is good.  In fact they look pretty bad.  I just don't see the point in making up stuff to say about them that is not true.

Here's the truth

THEY SUCK
Reply/Quote
My take #1: the guards are the problem. The missed blocks were everywhere it seemed during the Ravens game, but it looked to me the line is missing A gap stunts, something that is considered ordinary for defenses. Line is missing gaps in general like C-gap and I think Sample's blocking has regressed from solid performance in college to missing in action as in-line TE. Sample has improved as a hands TE but lets face it, he moves like a glacier as a receiver so they need his blocking expertise.

My take #2: I think Turner's scheme for blocking is not working to say the least. I am not certain but I do not see the team utilizing slant blocking or anything to create a flow. This is why Mixon is stuttering at the line...he wants to cut back against the flow but there is no line movement laterally. The line certainly is not improving from the average performance of the last 5 games of last season. If you look at the PFF grades, some of the players are scoring better as pass pro, even Hart. Some games, however, they score better in run blocking. This points to schemes and game planning.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I've been wondering why I seemingly lost interest in the Bengals of late and then I read the news of Sunday and it all became crystal clear..
However, I'm going to keep it as a big mystery to keep everyone guessing. 
I will break it down to 3 burning questions for everyone to ponder. 
Is it:
A: They stink? 
B: They suck?
OR (drum roll)
C: They're just not very good ?
It's a toughy, eh?
The winner gets an all expenses paid trip to the very next stop sign near you as long as you live close to a stop sign. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Maybe when they built the new weight room they didn't tell the linemen. Now they go to work out and all they have is toilet paper and refills for the tampon dispensers to lift. Anyway they look very weak so I wouldn't mind a new strength coach added to the list of new coaches needed.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 07:39 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Maybe when they built the new weight room they didn't tell the linemen. Now they go to work out and all they have is toilet paper and refills for the tampon dispensers to lift. Anyway they look very weak so I wouldn't mind a new strength coach added to the list of new coaches needed.

I could get them in shape quick by having them come to my shop to sweep sawdust off the floor. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet we have gained positive yardage on 104 of 132 rushes..

Well, we're striving for positive gains on more than 79% of rushes attempted..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 07:37 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've been wondering why I seemingly lost interest in the Bengals of late and then I read the news of Sunday and it all became crystal clear..
However, I'm going to keep it as a big mystery to keep everyone guessing. 
I will break it down to 3 burning questions for everyone to ponder. 
Is it:
A: They stink? 
B: They suck?
OR (drum roll)
C: They're just not very good ?
It's a toughy, eh?
The winner gets an all expenses paid trip to the very next stop sign near you as long as you live close to a stop sign. 
I'm going to guess answer "C" (if only because "C" is the most common test answer). Luckily there's a stop sign 15 feet in front of my house so I will take my reward in stride!
Reply/Quote

Am I missing something? Making positive yardage on only 104 of 132 rush attempts doesn't sound very good to me.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 09:00 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Am I missing something? Making positive yardage on only 104 of 132 rush attempts doesn't sound very good to me.

Yes you are missing something.  Read my post that you quoted.

*hint* It is in thr middle of the second line.
Reply/Quote