Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
They (AI) Took Our Jobs
(01-29-2024, 06:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think you're grossly overstating the scope of the issue.  As your own thread would indicate, AI is a far, far greater threat to the middle class than Musk could ever be, by an exponential amount.

That’s part of the problem. It’s not one or the other we have to worry about. They are both factors. You know who is on the SCOTUS. And we know how people with money tend to have better luck in the courts.

The way I see it unions could be a good way to keep the middle class in the game while robots and AI expand. Just so happens big big money has their sites set on fighting unions.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/26/anti-union-lawsuit-conservative-courts-musk-starbucks-trader-joes
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 06:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That’s part of the problem. It’s not one or the other we have to worry about. They are both factors. You know who is on the SCOTUS. And we know how people with money tend to have better luck in the courts.

The way I see it unions could be a good way to keep the middle class in the game while robots and AI expand. Just so happens big big money has their sites set on fighting unions.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/26/anti-union-lawsuit-conservative-courts-musk-starbucks-trader-joes

Employers have tried to buck unions as long as unions have been a thing, nothing new there.  Interestingly enough, the Dems in my state are constantly going after unions, just public sector unions, though.  Apparently public employees don't have the same rights to organize as private sector employees.  Neat trick, ask a pro-union person how they feel about public sector unions.  the majority of the time you'll get a "yeah, but" answer on why they're not the same.  I've been a union member for twenty-three years, I'm as pro-union as it gets.  Workers should have the ability to have a united front just like the entity across the table from them.  I'm also not blind t the problems with unions either.  Overall I think they're a net positive, but they're also their own worst enemy at times.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 07:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Employers have tried to buck unions as long as unions have been a thing, nothing new there.  Interestingly enough, the Dems in my state are constantly going after unions, just public sector unions, though.  Apparently public employees don't have the same rights to organize as private sector employees.  Neat trick, ask a pro-union person how they feel about public sector unions.  the majority of the time you'll get a "yeah, but" answer on why they're not the same.  I've been a union member for twenty-three years, I'm as pro-union as it gets.  Workers should have the ability to have a united front just like the entity across the table from them.  I'm also not blind t the problems with unions either.  Overall I think they're a net positive, but they're also their own worst enemy at times.

The only moral union is my union, nothing new with this mindset.  I need to unionize to protect my job and way of life, but if you are allowed to unionize you'll use it to be a lazy bum who doesn't do anything and can't get fired.  It's the old Reagan-era union/welfare one-two punch, I need it because I'm a victim of circumstance but I can still get it and not want others to get it because they're misusing it and don't deserve it like I do.

We all fish the lake dry with self-righteous fury because if we don't "someone else" was going to do it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote