Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They stood around killing grass"
Lap compares Pollack and PA with Lance

Quote:There were times I thought ‘I’m a 66-year-old man, I might be able to get through [Alexander’s] practice

Quote:They stood around killing grass so much... These kids are in their 20’s and he’s not doing anything with them. He’s not pushing them at all, and I’ll tell you. I know I couldn’t last [Frank Pollack’s] practice now. I wouldn’t last 15 minutes.

Maybe he's trying to keep PA away from the Bengals for good? Interesting he comes out and says this now. Makes a little sense seeing as he would of probably been removed from the broadcasting team. But it's certainly not a good look to hear this from a guy who coaches for us for so long, and the title he held as assistant HC/O-line.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ever since PA left Lap has killed him. Lap knows how bad of a coach he was/is. I appreciate the honesty.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I know the words to explain or even try to describe how it was that man kept his job so long ?

I'm beginning to believe Austin is on the same bus.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:16 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure I know the words to explain or even try to describe how it was that man kept his job so long ?

Results are more important than methods.  He did put together some great units during his time here, although that seems to mainly be because he had a good eye for talent.  As soon as he started missing on premium draft picks, everything fell apart.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:09 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Lap compares Pollack and PA with Lance

Maybe he's trying to keep PA away from the Bengals for good? Interesting he comes out and says this now. Makes a little sense seeing as he would of probably been removed from the broadcasting team. But it's certainly not a good look to hear this from a guy who coaches for us for so long, and the title he held as assistant HC/O-line.

Lap just echoing what some of us......well, MOST of us......have said around here for years.  He just wasn't that good.  Now Lap is free to say what he really thought about Piano Paul, which......shocker.....isn't very flattering.

I'd also like to add, that keeping turds like this around for a quarter century is why they get the reputation they don't care about winning.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:25 AM)Whatever Wrote: Results are more important than methods.  He did put together some great units during his time here, although that seems to mainly be because he had a good eye for talent.  As soon as he started missing on premium draft picks, everything fell apart.

I used to concede that point......until we found out he was also the run game coordinator.  Peep those YPC numbers the last decade plus..... :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I used to concede that point......until we found out he was also the run game coordinator.  Peep those YPC numbers the last decade plus..... :andy:

I know without looking that those were pretty poor, but his lines generally did well in pass pro.  He definitely stuck around long past his sell by date.  Personally, he was a good scout, but a bad position coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:16 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure I know the words to explain or even try to describe how it was that man kept his job so long ?

What's that buzzword for being cheap, lazy, and full of nepotism/cronyism that they always throw around....."continuity"? Rolleyes 

Reply/Quote

well our OLs were generally one of the better units on the team until recently...  (save 08/09 seasons)
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:53 AM)Whatever Wrote: I know without looking that those were pretty poor, but his lines generally did well in pass pro.  He definitely stuck around long past his sell by date.  Personally, he was a good scout, but a bad position coach.

You're right, they were good at pass pro when they had Willie, Levi, Richie, Bobbie, and Steiny and not bad at running.  They were shitty at running after starting to lose those guys, and got really shaky at pass pro, Palmer took a beating.  It got so bad that running unbalanced lines damn near became the base offense around 09.  They got a little better once they had Whit, Zeit, Boling, Dre, but Blodine still gave ground up the middle.  This is just opinion, but there are some numbers to back it up, the line's deficiencies have been masked a little by having OCs that stressed getting the ball out quickly and having a QB that excels in that type of offense.  Once his good talent up front left again, and he absolutely set us back 2 or 3 years by whiffing on those two "tackles", and kept sticking with Blodine.....he had to go.  Honestly, had they kept him, I probably wouldn't even watch them after keeping Merv too.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well our OLs were generally one of the better units on the team until recently...  (save 08/09 seasons)

Pretty damn shitty running the ball since like.....06.  The YPC numbers reflect that.  Also, `10 was shitty, and since Jay Gruden came to town, the offense has thrived on getting the ball out very quickly.  That helps a questionable line. I'd say from 2013, to 2015, they had another good unit.....but even it struggled running. That's on the line coach and run game coordinator, who happened to the be the same turd.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 10:09 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Lap compares Pollack and PA with Lance

And he was here for 24 years. That's not on Paul Alexander.

That's on Lewis and Brown for retaining him so long.
Reply/Quote

Austin has been here for 8 games. PA made it 24 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right, they were good at pass pro when they had Willie, Levi, Richie, Bobbie, and Steiny and not bad at running.  They were shitty at running after starting to lose those guys, and got really shaky at pass pro, Palmer took a beating.  It got so bad that running unbalanced lines damn near became the base offense around 09.  They got a little better once they had Whit, Zeit, Boling, Dre, but Blodine still gave ground up the middle.  This is just opinion, but there are some numbers to back it up, the line's deficiencies have been masked a little by having OCs that stressed getting the ball out quickly and having a QB that excels in that type of offense.  Once his good talent up front left again, and he absolutely set us back 2 or 3 years by whiffing on those two "tackles", and kept sticking with Blodine.....he had to go.  Honestly, had they kept him, I probably wouldn't even watch them after keeping Merv too.

In fairness, Bob Bratkowski's offense put a lot of strain on the OL.  I've seen an interview where he admits that everyone usually knew what play they were running.  The other team just didn't have the talent to stop them.  

It's still a bit surprising to me that Lazor won that power struggle.  Personally, I think MB balked at giving Whit a multi year deal because Paul told him that the T position was set with Og and Fisher.  When it turned out like it did, he was furious. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And he was here for 24 years. That's not on Paul Alexander.

It's not on PA that he's not pushing guys like he's paid to do?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right, they were good at pass pro when they had Willie, Levi, Richie, Bobbie, and Steiny and not bad at running.  They were shitty at running after starting to lose those guys, and got really shaky at pass pro, Palmer took a beating.  It got so bad that running unbalanced lines damn near became the base offense around 09.  They got a little better once they had Whit, Zeit, Boling, Dre, but Blodine still gave ground up the middle.  This is just opinion, but there are some numbers to back it up, the line's deficiencies have been masked a little by having OCs that stressed getting the ball out quickly and having a QB that excels in that type of offense.  Once his good talent up front left again, and he absolutely set us back 2 or 3 years by whiffing on those two "tackles", and kept sticking with Blodine.....he had to go.  Honestly, had they kept him, I probably wouldn't even watch them after keeping Merv too.
If you look at the names you mentioned, I think they were pretty good before they even came here. You look at the last 5 years the lineman taken were not that good coming out and they needed coaching up and PA couldn't deliver. I go so far as to say, Zietler was good until he got here and they took the aggression out of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Austin has been here for 8 games. PA made it 24 years.

Exactly!!! It will be fun to watch, if the D turns it around in the second half of the season, to see the same people lambasting Austin turn around and talk about how great he is.....
Reply/Quote
Well tell lap he will be hearing from pauls lawyer fred real soon
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And he was here for 24 years. That's not on Paul Alexander.

Something tells me Marvin Lewis doesn't have full say in what staff he keeps or fires. Especially ones who were around before Lewis came in. I'd put more blame on Mike Brown. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 12:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote:  I go so far as to say, Zietler was good until he got here and they took the aggression out of him.

I go so far as to say that is the silliest thing I ever heard.

You think he got that 5 yr $60 million contract because he wasn't good anymore?
Reply/Quote