Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things Biden will not do.
1.  He will not "take away your guns".   He can't because Obama already did it, remember?  There will be a lot of talk about gun regulation, probably dealing with the very narrow area of so called "assault rifles", but that stuff is just window dressing.  People will still be allowed to own rifles much more powerful than the ones currently called "assault rifles".  Hopefully we will address the true types of gun regulations that would actually help law enforcement like registration and licensing, But those laws don't take guns away from any legal gunowners.

2.  He will not have "open borders".  No democrat has ever been in favor of "open borders".  That is just FoxNews rhetoric.  Besides, since over half of illegal immigrants enter the country legally instead of sneaking across the border Trump's amazing wall was a silly way to address the immigration issues anyway,

3.  He will not provide free health care to illegal immigrants.  I doubt he will be able to push through any type of universal free health care simply because of the amount of money the health insurance industry produces, but if he does it will not include illegal immigrants.  He might have raised his hand at a debate during the democratic primaries, but I don't see that as a promise he will carry oiut.

4.  He will not destroy the economy with higher taxes.  The economy is going to suffer anyway because of the lingering effects of the pandemic, but any increase in taxes on corporations or the wealthy will not crash the economy.

5.  He will not "sell out to China".  Dealing with China will probably be one of the biggest issues in his presidency.  He may not stick with the tariff's Trump imposed because they destroyed a lot of American farmers while not producing any new trade deal with China or even lowering the trade deficit (which increased every year of the Trump administration).  But he has spoken many times about how the UNiyed States has to take a stronger stance against China than was in place during the Obama administration.

6.  He will not eliminate police as law enforcement.  I assume he will address police reform, but almost no one believes when can get by without police as a form of law enforcement.
Reply/Quote
You left off "Get reelected".

As to the rest: I agree it will be a fairly uneventful Presidency.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You left off "Get reelected".

I don't think he is planning on being re-elected.

Maybe that will make him a more effective President.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 12:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the rest: I agree it will be a fairly uneventful Presidency.

I never said it would be "uneventful".  I think there will be lots of big issues with China.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think he is planning on being re-elected.

Maybe that will make him a more effective President.

Let's hope. 

Reply/Quote
Just edited OP to include not eliminating police.

That is the one I hear most of the crying about on social media, but in truth only a very small minority ever wanted to do away wioth police completely. Almost everyone saw "Defund the police" as removing funding from the police in order to eliminate their role in other activities like dealing with mentally ill people, or to eliminate their access to military type equipment.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 04:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just edited OP to include not eliminating police.

That is the one I hear most of the crying about on social media, but in truth only a very small minority ever wanted to do away wioth police completely.  Almost everyone saw "Defund the police" as removing funding from the police in order to eliminate their role in other activities like dealing with mentally ill people, or to eliminate their access to military type equipment.

Biden was one of the few high profile Dems not entertaining the Defund the Police calls.

Will he:

End Fracking

Raise taxes on folks that make less than $400K per year

Reform Immigration 

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Biden was one of the few high profile Dems not entertaining the Defund the Police calls.

Will he:

End Fracking

Raise taxes on folks that make less than $400K per year

Reform Immigration 

1.  Fracking is the tough one.  There is too much money being made from fracking for him to ban it.  But I believe he will attempt to get the UNites States to understand that the more we invest and depend of fossil fuels that farther we will be behind the rest of the world when alternative energy is required.

2.  he will not raise taxes on people making less than $400K.

3.  He will reform immigration if the congress will let him.  It won't be "open borders" or "full amnesty for every undocumented immigrant", but it will probably make US citizenship easier to obtain.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Fracking is the tough one.  There is too much money being made from fracking for him to ban it.  But I believe he will attempt to get the UNites States to understand that the more we invest and depend of fossil fuels that farther we will be behind the rest of the world when alternative energy is required.

3.  He will reform immigration if the congress will let him.  It won't be "open borders" or "full amnesty for every undocumented immigrant", but it will probably make US citizenship easier to obtain.

I’m good with citizenship easier, and even making it easier to come here legally. I understand that will hurt Republicans, but that’s the dream we promise and I’m happy for as many people to have a shot as is possible.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Fracking is the tough one.  There is too much money being made from fracking for him to ban it.  But I believe he will attempt to get the UNites States to understand that the more we invest and depend of fossil fuels that farther we will be behind the rest of the world when alternative energy is required.

Pretty consistently Biden has said he will not "end" fracking but won't allow new or more fracking on federal ground.  Same with oil exploration.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Any chance he will make it illegal for the Steelers and Ravens to draft Buckeyes? If he can do that I’ll put a sign in my yard til 2024.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
He will not appoint his family members to key roles inside the government.

He will not abdicate his role in handling the pandemic in a play for political favor.

He will not villainize the media in an attempt to undermine democracy.

He will not spend an obscene amount of his time in office golfing or watching cable news.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2020, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2.  he will not raise taxes on people making less than $400K.

So he's NOT going to end Trump's tax cuts even though he said he was?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So he's NOT going to end Trump's tax cuts even though he said he was?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/heres-where-biden-and-trump-stand-on-your-taxes.html

Quote:Former vice president Biden is proposing raising the top individual income tax rate to 39.6% from its current level of 37%.

[Image: 106751033-1603135984190-110619_2020_tax_...=678&h=381]

He is also calling to limit the value of itemized deductions – the write-offs households can take on expenses that include medical costs and charitable giving – to 28% for households with incomes exceeding $400,000, according to an analysis from the Tax Policy Center.

Though Biden hasn’t specifically proposed an increase in taxes on individuals making less than $400,000, policy analysts have said that middle-income households could see a decline in wages and investment income due to higher corporate income taxes.

Indeed, the former vice president has called for raising the corporate income tax to 28% from 21%. On average, after-tax income for all taxpayers could fall by 1.7% in 2030, according to an analysis by the Tax Foundation.
“The Biden campaign is proposing raising taxes on high-income individuals and corporations with some tax credits for low-income folks,” said Gordon Mermin, senior research associate at the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.

Those credits include a temporary expansion of the child tax credit, boosting it to $3,000 for kids 17 and younger, plus a $600 bonus for children under 6.

More from Smart Tax Planning:
Four states are voting to legalize and tax marijuana sales
Maximize your tax savings at work with these employee benefits
Got a subsidy to buy health insurance? It could bite you at tax time

The Tax Policy Center is working on an analysis of Trump’s tax policies. It anticipates an extension of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

“Extending those provisions basically means tax cuts across the income distribution, but primarily for high-income folks,” said Mermin.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-joe-biden-say-he-would-repeal-trump-tax-cuts-1537294

Quote:Harris had said that Biden would "repeal" and "get rid of" Trump's tax bill during her debate with Pence, while insisting that the president's plan was based on "benefiting the top 1 percent and the biggest corporations of America" and had led to a $2 trillion deficit.

Biden also said he would repeal the law in his debate with the president last week. However, Biden's remarks were in the context of the New York Times report claiming that Trump had paid little to no income tax over the course of 15 years, which he said suggested would not be possible under his own proposal.

"That's why I'm going to eliminate the Trump tax cuts, I'm going to eliminate those tax cuts," Biden said as Trump responded, "That's OK."

"I'm going to eliminate a significant number of the taxes," Biden later said. "I'm going to make the corporate tax 28 percent. It shouldn't be 21 percent."

On the official campaign website, Biden has called Trump's tax policy a "giveaway primarily for large corporations and the wealthy." He insists that while he will end Trump's cuts, his own policy will not raise personal income taxes on anyone earning less than $400,000 per year. Biden's plan could instead raise $4 trillion over a decade by increasing taxes on corporations and wealthy individuals.

The top income tax bracket, applying to those making more than $400,000, would rise to 39.6 percent under Biden's plan, rather than the current 37 percent under Trump. In addition, a new 12.4 percent payroll tax, evenly split between employer and employee, would be levied on those earning over $400,000.

New and expanded tax credits proposed by Biden could also potentially lower the tax burden on some in lower income brackets.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/heres-where-biden-and-trump-stand-on-your-taxes.html

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-joe-biden-say-he-would-repeal-trump-tax-cuts-1537294

If Biden ends Trump tax cuts, he will be raising taxes on EVERYONE not just $400,000. Now, if he only ends a PART of the tax cuts (like say, on those making $400,000 or more), or enacts a tax cut of his own after ending Trump's tax cuts that's a different story. But, Biden has not said he will only end part of Trump's tax cut. Your article may try to tell us what Biden means (imagine that), but based on what Biden has said, he will end Trump's tax cuts which means he will be raising everyone's taxes. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 09:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: He will not spend an obscene amount of his time in office golfing or watching cable news.

Does Biden golf?  Ok, I googled it and there are pics of him on a golf course.  He seems more like a weird old dude who does league night bowling and hits on the high school girls working there.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So he's NOT going to end Trump's tax cuts even though he said he was?

His plan ends those tax cuts on the top bracket.

So your personal income tax rate increases if you make more than $520k single or $620k married. Your capital gains rate increases if you make more than $1m. Your payroll taxes increase after $400k. Deduction changes will only occur on income after $400k. Estate tax will go up after $3.5m
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:40 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If Biden ends Trump tax cuts, he will be raising taxes on EVERYONE not just $400,000. Now, if he only ends a PART of the tax cuts (like say, on those making $400,000 or more), or enacts a tax cut of his own after ending Trump's tax cuts that's a different story. But, Biden has not said he will only end part of Trump's tax cut. Your article may try to tell us what Biden means (imagine that), but based on what Biden has said, he will end Trump's tax cuts which means he will be raising everyone's taxes. 

I shared what he said he will do.  You can ignore that and what everyone else posted here.  That's up to you.

If we are going back to using exact words only no matter the context I'll need that in writing.
Reply/Quote
... you guys pay 37% income tax or is that just $400,000+?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: I shared what he said he will do.  You can ignore that and what everyone else posted here.  That's up to you.

I'm not the one ignoring Biden when he says he will eliminate the Trump tax cuts. 

(11-09-2020, 11:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: If we are going back to using exact words only no matter the context I'll need that in writing.

Going back to? That's what we've apparently been doing since Trump became the Republican presidential candidate in 2016. I remember people like you getting all upset when people would explain what Trump MEANT. But, I forgot we hold Republicans to a different, higher standard than Democrats. 
Reply/Quote