Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things Zac Taylor knew
Zac Taylor knew that Burrow leads the league in QB hits.

Zac Taylor knew that Burrow is second in the NFL in sacks taken.

Zac Taylor knew that Washington has one of the more dangerous pass rushes in the NFL.

Zac Taylor knew that Burrow had thrown the ball more than any other QB, save for 1 or 2 (he currently leads the league but Brady was on bye this week).

Zac Taylor knew that Burrow had just tweaked his ankle against Pittsburgh because he was being harassed by the defensive players.

Zac Taylor knew that, all season, Burrow has not been getting the calls for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness. This has been evident throughout the season, even with Burrow commenting on it against Philly in his mic'd up session.

Zac Taylor knew that not running the ball at all, even when you're in a tight game or leading, allows pass rushers to pin their ears back.

Zac Taylor knew that defensive players pride themselves on "teaching the rookies."

Zac Taylor knew that this offensive line was not NFL ready (or at least he should have known, since he was the one coaching them.)

Zac Taylor knows the game of football.

Let's not pretend for one second that Zac Taylor did not have an inkling that this may happen when you throw a rookie QB into the fray with an awful offensive line, ask him to throw it 40+ times a game and be the savior to your coaching career, which to this point had been one of the most putrid in NFL history.

Just fire him. We don't need ZT to be awful. We can do that on our own. At least get a head coach that respects his players and attempts to protect them.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 09:55 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Zac Taylor knew that Burrow leads the league in QB hits.

Zac Taylor knew that Washington has one of the more dangerous pass rushes in the NFL.

Zac Taylor knew that Burrow had thrown the ball more than any other QB, save for 1 or 2 (he currently leads the league but Brady was on bye this week).

Zac Taylor knew that Burrow had just tweaked his ankle against Pittsburgh because he was being harassed by the defensive players.

Zac Taylor knew that, all season, Burrow has not been getting the calls for roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness. This has been evident throughout the season, even with Burrow commenting on it against Philly in his mic'd up session.

Zac Taylor knew that not running the ball at all, even when you're in a tight game or leading, allows pass rushers to pin their ears back.

Zac Taylor knew that defensive players pride themselves on "teaching the rookies."

Zac Taylor knew that this offensive line was not NFL ready (or at least he should have known, since he was the one coaching them.)

Let's not pretend for one second that Zac Taylor did not have an inkling that this may happen when you throw a rookie QB into the fray with an awful offensive line, ask him to throw it 40+ times a game and be the savior to your coaching career, which to this point had been one of the most putrid in NFL history.

Just fire him. We don't need ZT to be awful. We can do that on our own. At least get a head coach that respects his players and attempts to protect them.

What’s the point now? Damage is done
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 09:59 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: What’s the point now? Damage is done

Fire him so he can't do it again.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 09:55 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Zac Taylor knew that Burrow leads the league in QB hits.

Honestly I think this injury just bought him another year which is the great irony in this post. I agree with all of this though and I've said to my buddies a couple time that Zacky was being wreckless with Joe Burrow having him throw it 50+ times a game just to save his own job. I hope he blames himself cause it is his fault. We are about to see just how shitty this team really is to end this season with a Burrowless  team. 
Reply/Quote

I'm not saying to not fire ZT, but Burrow's injury was not cumulative. It happened because of 1 play. It wouldn't have mattered if that was the very first pass Burrow threw all season, he was injured because of that 1 play.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If Taylor had stuck with an ineffective running game when throwing the ball was the only thing that gave us a chance to win you would have been calling for him to get fired for that also.

Everyone here loved that fact that our offense kept us in these close games. And Burrow was the reason our offense gave us a chance. If Taylor had shut down the passing games your heads would have exploded.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not saying to not fire ZT, but Burrow's injury was not cumulative. It happened because of 1 play. It wouldn't have mattered if that was the very first pass Burrow threw all season, he was injured because of that 1 play.

That's true. There are cumulative injuries and there are, for lack of a better term, "freak injuries."

The thing about freak injuries is that they have a chance of occurring on every play. It's usually very small. Let's say there's a 0.0001% chance of a freak injury on any given passing play. Having an awful offensive line would increase that chance and having the other factors I mentioned (like having no running game at all) could increase that chance a bit more.

When you call over 400 passing plays in the first 10 games of a season, you are riding those odds every single play.

So for the first 399 plays, the bad Oline+no run game+rookies don't get calls from refs+defensive players like to teach rookies a lesson chance of having a freak accident didn't occur.

But when you roll a dice over and over and over again, eventually you're going to roll the number you've been fretting.

Do you know what I mean?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If Taylor had stuck with an ineffective running game when throwing the ball was the only thing that gave us a chance to win you would have been calling for him to get fired for that also.

Everyone here loved that fact that our offense kept us in these close games.  And Burrow was the reason our offense gave us a chance.  If Taylor had shut down the passing games your heads would have exploded.

Out of curiosity, do you believe there are any other numbers between 0 and 500, Fred?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Do you know what I mean?

No I don't really know what you mean.

What is the exact number of passes you would have allowed per game if you were head coach of the Bengals?  What is the perfect number that would have been enough to give the Bengals a chance to win yet not enough to ever get Burrow injured?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Fire him so he can't do it again.

Yes. I will not be watching the Bengals while Zac Taylor, Lou Anarumo, and Jim Turner are employed.
Injuries happen, but this team clearly had been masked by Burrow's ability to make and extend plays.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals didn't win another game the rest of the season, that's how bad they are.
Without Burrow, their passing game will suffer, all while they continue to have bad OL blocking, a terrible pass rush, and bad LB play.
Hopefully they'll end up picking in Top 3 so they can take Penei Sewell. They will be there if they lose out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's true. There are cumulative injuries and there are, for lack of a better term, "freak injuries."

The thing about freak injuries is that they have a chance of occurring on every play. It's usually very small. Let's say there's a 0.0001% chance of a freak injury on any given passing play. Having an awful offensive line would increase that chance and having the other factors I mentioned (like having no running game at all) could increase that chance a bit more.

When you call over 400 passing plays in the first 10 games of a season, you are riding those odds every single play.

So for the first 399 plays, the bad Oline+no run game+rookies don't get calls from refs+defensive players like to teach rookies a lesson chance of having a freak accident didn't occur.

But when you roll a dice over and over and over again, eventually you're going to roll the number you've been fretting.

Do you know what I mean?

I once saw Troy Aikman get hurt handing the ball off on a running play. Injuries happen. The only way to prevent them is to not even have the player play. Then again, wasn't it Mark Sanchez who got injured in the parking lot right before a game? Guess that's not even a good enough way to prevent injury. Just don't have them in the league.

Fact is, Burrow has a chance to get injured at any time. Unless you're advocating for him to never see the field, there's ALWAYS a chance he'll get injured. You telling me you'd be fine with Burrow sitting on the sidelines? How about if he only threw the ball 5 times a game. Then again, he could still get injured those 5 times. I think he'd be better off sitting on the sidelines. Less chance of an injury. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No I don't really know what you mean.

What is the exact number of passes you would have allowed per game if you were head coach of the Bengals?  What is the perfect number that would have been enough to give the Bengals a chance to win yet not enough to ever get Burrow injured?

The answer is to not even have Burrow on the field of play. If you're worried about injury, the only way to prevent injury is to not play or even practice at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No I don't really know what you mean.

I was just checking because you don't seem to know that there are any numbers between 0 pass attempts and 50 pass attempts per game, so I wanted to see just how far your number blindness extended.
Reply/Quote
You want to know the quickest way to run Joe Burrow out of town. Have the coach tell him they are not going to let him throw the ball enough to give the Bengals a chance to win.

You just can't do that to a guy as competitive as Burrow.
Reply/Quote
A thousand years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, they knew the Earth was flat. Fifteen hours ago, they knew it was a matter of time until something like this would happen. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was just checking because you don't seem to know that there are any numbers between 0 pass attempts and 50 pass attempts per game, so I wanted to see just how far your number blindness extended.

Okay I will answer your question if you will answer mine.

Yes.  I know there are numbers between 0 and 50,

Now tell me the magic number the Bengals coaches should have used as a limit.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: The answer is to not even have Burrow on the field of play. If you're worried about injury, the only way to prevent injury is to not play or even practice at all.

Which is what I said when people were asking why they weren't calling QB sneaks on 3rd and 1 plays. Every time they run that play you risk broken fingers, wrists, etc. It's football, players get hurt. Always have, always will. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 09:59 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: What’s the point now? Damage is done

True. Why send people to prison? Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:48 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I once saw Troy Aikman get hurt handing the ball off on a running play. Injuries happen. The only way to prevent them is to not even have the player play. Then again, wasn't it Mark Sanchez who got injured in the parking lot right before a game? Guess that's not even a good enough way to prevent injury. Just don't have them in the league.

Fact is, Burrow has a chance to get injured at any time. Unless you're advocating for him to never see the field, there's ALWAYS a chance he'll get injured. You telling me you'd be fine with Burrow sitting on the sidelines? How about if he only threw the ball 5 times a game. Then again, he could still get injured those 5 times. I think he'd be better off sitting on the sidelines. Less chance of an injury. Rolleyes

There's a chance you get injured when you get out of bed in the morning just like there is a chance you get injured when you're speeding down the highway on the wrong side of the road.

But one of these two things is slightly more likely to cause injury than the other.

Would I have been happy if Burrow was sitting on the sideline? No. Would I have liked Zac to attempt to protect his rookie QB with a gameplan that features a running game that has shown to have some life in the last few weeks, while lowering (not eliminating. lowering) the chances of a freak injury happening? Yes.

This is not a binary situation like you and Fred are trying to make it seem. Zac could have taken precautions via gameplanning and play calling to protect Joe behind an awful Oline but he simply...didn't. He chose not to take those precautions because he knew his best chances of not getting fired were relying on Joe 50 times a game because, as you and Fred have rightly pointed out, that is what was keeping this team and its awful coaching staff close in games that they had no business being in, given their dearth of coaching talent.
Reply/Quote

If Mike Brown is still in charge, and is a businessman first and foremost, then Zac just cost him his biggest financial investment since Carson Palmer.  time to SACK THE ZAC.Dead HorseDead Horse
Reply/Quote