Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...
1. The loss of CJ Uzomah (Go back and watch highlights from last year's games and see how many BIG plays he had - I have yet to see that from any of this year's TEs.)
2. Burrows appendix surgery resulting in loss of pre-season prep.
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Things need fixed... fast.

Discuss.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:22 AM)Tomkat Wrote: 1. The loss of CJ Uzomah (Go back and watch highlights from last year's games and see how many BIG plays he had - I have yet to see that from any of this year's TEs.)
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Discuss.

These things are different so I understand logically you think they meant something more but number 2 is the only one affecting us iMO
-Housh
Reply/Quote
agree but not sure any of those things improve the O-line enough to make a difference.

Off topic but a saying I'm getting tired of hearing is "the Bengals ALMOST got another INT"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
CJ was inactive with an injury this week & I think Hurst looks pretty good so far.
Reply/Quote
Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...

1. Not sneaking up on teams.
2. Getting everyone's best as they "measure" up to a "SB" team.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:35 AM)Go Cards Wrote: agree but not sure any of those things improve the O-line enough to make a difference.

Off topic but a saying I'm getting tired of hearing is "the Bengals ALMOST got another INT"

Yep... I HATE dropped INTs, and there were a LOT of them vs Dallas.
Any one of them could have changed the game to a W instead of an L.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:22 AM)Tomkat Wrote: 1. The loss of CJ Uzomah (Go back and watch highlights from last year's games and see how many BIG plays he had - I have yet to see that from any of this year's TEs.)
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Discuss.

#1 Bad offensive Coaching and game planning.
Reply/Quote
As far as under the radar flaws I would say the biggest one is the lack of forced turnovers on defense. This was a big reason we won in the post-season.
Reply/Quote
I think I've realized after week 1/2 is the thing most affecting this team is the disappearance of the inordinate amount of luck we had last year.
Reply/Quote
Well IMO for what it's worth:

Number One: We need a real NFL caliber OC. The ZT being OC with BC being offensive advisor or whatever plan isn't working and I don't believe that's going to change. Zac needs to swallow his pride and admit it.

Number Two: The offensive line has to get it together. I figured they'd have some rough spots here and there to iron out. I never dreamed they would suck this bad.

Number Three: Joe Burrow's lack of preseason/surgery has hurt way more than I thought it would.

Our problems are on Offense the defense is fine. Granted playing two teams that weren't offensive machines helped but still I believe they'll be ok.

But there's no excuse for this team with these weapons to be averaging 18.5 points a game.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well IMO for what it's worth:

Number One: We need a real NFL caliber OC. The ZT being OC with BC being offensive advisor or whatever plan isn't working and I don't believe that's going to change. Zac needs to swallow his pride and admit it.

Number Two: The offensive line has to get it together. I figured they'd have some rough spots here and there to iron out. I never dreamed they would suck this bad.

Number Three: Joe Burrow's lack of preseason/surgery has hurt way more than I thought it would.

Our problems are on Offense the defense is fine. Granted playing two teams that weren't offensive machines helped but still I believe they'll be ok.

But there's no excuse for this team with these weapons to be averaging 18.5 points a game.

Don't disagree, however, our defense not getting stops at the ends of games 1 and 2 is disconcerting. I mean, it's the biggest point in both games. A stop in game 1 means a tie and a stop in game 2 means OT most likely with a chance to win. And yet, both times, the defense lets us down.

Granted the offensive ineptitude is the MAIN reason for the losses, but I don't like how the defense played so well in game 1 gave up so many big plays on the final drive and the defense came back to playing decently in game 2 only to have a let down right after the Bengals tied it up.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well IMO for what it's worth:

Those aren't exactly "under-the-radar" issues, but I like your response, nonetheless.
Reply/Quote
Taylor is in over his head.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...

1. Not sneaking up on teams.
2. Getting everyone's best as they "measure" up to a "SB" team.

Aside from some of the issues mentioned along with the OL not gelling, etc., your points are very valid. Both the Steelers and Cowboys came out very very fired up and aggressive with excellent DL's and that's like pouring gasoline on the fire. Both teams tired of their play the past couple seasons and reading all the negative press clippings.

Last week could have easily been a W and even with a L yesterday,I don't believe the fan base would be up in arms like they are at 1-1. Now is no time to panic. Get back to the drawing board and fix some things. Get the W next week and you're no worse than a game back with a couple of home games coming up.
Reply/Quote
Two weeks in a row, we've seen offensive linemen asked to pull across the entire formation to pass block an elite tier rusher. At the same time, we've seen tight ends and running backs isolated on those same elite tier rushers. Obviously we're not privy to their scheme philosophies, but damn it seems like they need to reconsider their approach and get back to basics.

The miscommunications we've seen along the oline are surely directly attributable to a lack of snaps in the preseason, something we were all hesitant/concerned about.

I'm not necessarily concerned about what this team can be right now. I know they can fix it. However, I'm dreadfully concerned that we've dropped two very winnable games that are going to put us behind the 8-ball when the competition level ratchets up. We're going to have to play mistake free ball from here on out.

If we lose to the Jets this week, I'll panic.
Reply/Quote
And lack of deep balls
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:35 AM)Go Cards Wrote: agree but not sure any of those things improve the O-line enough to make a difference.

Well the good thing about hearing that, is it is correct, they are fractions of a second from many takeaways. What that means is soon those WILL be takeaways.
Reply/Quote
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Discuss.

You should expand #2 to be preseason injuries/recovery in general.
Cappa and Collins both missed quite a bit of preseason while recovering from injuries.
Collins is struggling bad.

Burrow does not trust this OL at all.
Jonah Williams is the only guy he has familiarity with.
The Bengals have gone against some good pass rushers, but Williams has had a tough time so far, along with (at least) Volson and Collins.

I haven't seen the resemblance of any kind of pocket yet through two games.
And the receivers don't seem to be getting open (although it's hard to tell a lot due to the camera not always showing receivers downfield).
Playcalling would (or should) help them get open faster, but we know they keep trying to force deeper plays despite teams playing Cover 2 to remove/minimize those.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Actually Volston was not the problem yesterday. He appears to be getting better quickly.
Reply/Quote
3. The loss of Ogunjobi

Discuss.

#2 is legit. I don't agree with 1 or 3.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote