Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the Bengals win on Sunday...
If the defense forces some turnovers, you never know what might happen. Even poor offenses seem to be able to take advantage of the momentum from turnovers. (see Baltimore in opening game..)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Slow down.

Let's score a touchdown. Use that as a building block. Maybe if we can string together two a game back-to-back, then we can talk about playoffs*.

* the 2020 playoffs.

Those first two sentences are gold, Jerry. Gold.
Reply/Quote
The ever-elusive week 3 dead cat bounce?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 11:16 AM)mroudfly Wrote: ...and then go into Cleveland and knock them off as well next week, do we make the playoffs?

2-2 going into week 5 home game against the struggling Bills.

*Note this is VERY theoretical as I feel like the world is collapsing around the Bengals at the moment, however, if they can get some momentum on Offense, I think the Defense will be at a minimum a top 10 defense in the league.

thats a big negative!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 07:34 PM)thillan Wrote: Well that's actually for all the other teams. Since it's the Bengals, you automatically divide by 3.

Then take that number and take a massive shit on it.  A week later come back and set it on fire.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: keep-calm-pigs-will-fly-1.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Well...we're eventually going to score and win some games here and there. GB is pretty banged up too.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: tumblr_m7rz2mYKY91r10gyho1_500.gif]

The band plays on.....

Say there's hope and we are woke from this nightmare. Do you really hold a loss against Green Bay against them? That would have been tough anyway.

I say if you want to pass me a violin.... look for improvement on Offense. TD's,  running game, Dalton, penalties, and confidence. Some signs there's something to the Lazor move. A win would be an upset of sorts in a playoff year. If we make the playoffs we need to beat the teams we are expected to beat (starting week 4), and we need to upset a couple teams we aren't expected to beat. It might be too soon for Green bay, those upsets will likely have to come later in the season when the Offense resettles into it's own.

No moral victories. But if you believe, you can learn a lot from this game regardless of the final score.

As for Marvin, it was 19-0 or bust in my book.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 09:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: The band plays on.....

Say there's hope and we are woke from this nightmare. Do you really hold a loss against Green Bay against them? That would have been tough anyway.

I say if you want to pass me a violin.... look for improvement on Offense. TD's,  running game, Dalton, penalties, and confidence. Some signs there's something to the Lazor move. A win would be an upset of sorts in a playoff year. If we make the playoffs we need to beat the teams we are expected to beat (starting week 4), and we need to upset a couple teams we aren't expected to beat. It might be too soon for Green bay, those upsets will likely have to come later in the season when the Offense resettles into it's own.

No moral victories. But if you believe, you can learn a lot from this game regardless of the final score.

As for Marvin, it was 19-0 or bust in my book.

Offensive improvement and making a game of it is definitely a moral victory and progress.  That said....we're going NOWHERE with this shittastic oline.  **** Mike Brown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 10:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Offensive improvement and making a game of it is definitely a moral victory and progress.  That said....we're going NOWHERE with this shittastic oline.  **** Mike Brown.

Ultimately I do blame Mike for this line. He's the one who is BFF with Paul Alexander and he's the one that didn't want to pay to keep anyone or go the FA route.

He basically looked at the shit storm last year and decided to put even more responsibility on those that caused it. Buffoonery at best.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Even if we lose, but put up a bunch of points and that absolutely has to include TDs it'll be a big sigh of relief. 
Suppose we score 3 TDs early and AR runs the table on the D and we lose by 1 I'll be much happier than even winning with 5 field goals, no TDs and stellar defense..
Does anyone want to see Bullock break some bizarre record breaking amount of FGs only because of complete inept offense? Somehow I can almost imagine us going to and winning the Super Bowl without ever scoring a single TD all season. Of course that would require super human traits on Bullocks part.. Yeahhh..I'm not feeling it either..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think the Front Office has to re-think draft strategy and not pick players with injuries in the first round,
even if the player has a high ceiling. First rounders should be high reward-low risk types, at least theoretically. Is Ross a low risk pick? Is OG?

I also think Burfict will help out in week 4. What worries me is Dalton seems flustered like its already the playoffs and he is choking. It could be the play calling or offensive line. But i think Dalton is not himself. Players have to step it up. I don't think this is a playoff caliber team this year. I think the Bengals will win some games but there is no cohesion on offense. They have to make up their mind who is the starting RB. The offense needs an identity. Maybe the new OC will help with this. I think the defense will improve in their consistency if the offense helps out and gets them off the field to rest.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 11:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ultimately I do blame Mike for this line. He's the one who is BFF with Paul Alexander and he's the one that didn't want to pay to keep anyone or go the FA route.

He basically looked at the shit storm last year and decided to put even more responsibility on those that caused it. Buffoonery at best.

Exactly my point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 03:46 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Front Office has to re-think draft strategy and not pick players with injuries in the first round,
even if the player has a high ceiling.  First rounders should be high reward-low risk types, at least theoretically.  Is Ross a low risk pick?  Is OG?  

I also think Burfict will help out in week 4.  What worries me is Dalton seems flustered like its already the playoffs and he is choking.  It could be the play calling or offensive line.  But i think Dalton is not himself.  Players have to step it up.  I don't think this is a playoff caliber team this year.  I think the Bengals will win some games but there is no cohesion on offense.  They have to make up their mind who is the starting RB.  The offense needs an identity.  Maybe the new OC will help with this.  I think the defense will improve in their consistency if the offense helps out and gets them off the field to rest.

That's a great point...although a guy like Eifert didn't really have an injury history in college from what I recall.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 11:16 AM)mroudfly Wrote: ...and then go into Cleveland and knock them off as well next week, do we make the playoffs?

2-2 going into week 5 home game against the struggling Bills.

*Note this is VERY theoretical as I feel like the world is collapsing around the Bengals at the moment, however, if they can get some momentum on Offense, I think the Defense will be at a minimum a top 10 defense in the league.

I love our defense.  I believe our special teams could be a top unit.  But our offense....is just so unbelievably bad.  Yes, I wrote "unbelievably" because even though they lost Whit and Zeitler, I thought the line would be good enough, especially in the running game.  But it has been pathetic.  The scheme was stupid as hell.  And perhaps worst of all, I saw absolutely no life in them.  No energy.  Did anyone watch last night's 49ers and Rams game?  It was actually a really good game.  Goff and Hoyer looked really good, and for a switch, their offenses dominated the game.

But the pure energy, the effort and speed at which the offenses played.  I just haven't seen that lately from the Bengals and I don't know if we will any time soon.  

I am an eternal optimist, but I am finding it hard to believe that the offense will suddenly play with some passion against GB on the road, when their lame-ass golf-clap, "let's go" coach has as much energy as a morgue.  They lack the fiery leader on offense, like they have Burfict and even Adam Jones on defense.  

I read that Ross has been downgraded to "OUT" with a knee a day after being limited with an illness.  This is puzzling and disturbing. But, the net result is Dalton's weapons outside of AJ will be the zero separation squad of Lafell, Kroft, and Boyd.  His backs are capable of getting open (two of them) but they never put them on the field together, which is also stupid.  The effect of all this is he has to hold the ball longer to wait for someone to get open and the line fails.

I don't know guys.  I am as down as I have been over this team in a very long time.  I hope and pray I am wrong, and they utilize their best backs better and get guys like Cody Core involved opposite AJ, but I have serious doubts that happens.  Marv is at least done after this season and he is going down with his ship and the consistently conservative approach to who plays and why despite no production.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:43 PM)BengalD Wrote: According to NFL network.  Teams that start off 0-2 have a 4% chance of making the play-offs.  Think my money would be on the Bengals don't make the playoffs.

I think it was 14%, not 4%.
Reply/Quote
It's hard for me to care about much else other than Marvin hitting the door.

Make the playoffs? Oh cool we got an 0-7 coach in the playoffs and he will get re-signed while probably being one and done again.

He has literally sucked all of the fun out of being a fan.
Reply/Quote