Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third Eye Blind trolls the RNC
Third Eye Blind refused to play at the 2012 RNC, but they accepted an invite for a private party held at the RnR HOF this time around. It appears that they did so to troll Republicans.

They saved Jumper, a song about a man who tries to take his life because he is gay, for the end and praised LGBT rights and said gay people need to be brought into the American fabric.

“To love this song is to take into your heart the message and to actually have the feeling to arrive and move forward and not live your life in fear [not] imposing that fear on other people,”

At one point, they asked the crowd "Who believes in science?" and they were met with boos. They responded "You can boo all you want, but I’m the mother****ing artist up here.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/third-eye-blind-rnc-performance

Videos in the link. They teased a setlist that included Semi-Charmed Life as the encore, but they didn't come out for an encore.

One twitter user tweeted at them that she was disappointed in the show, they responded "Good".

It seems like the crowd was mixed in their reception of the message. Some cheered, some booed.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't know how to feel about this. I mean, if they had done this -at- the convention I'd more inclined to laugh my ass off about it. But just because this concert was in proximity doesn't seem like a good reason to do this. I'd be willing to bet there were boos in the crowd because they just thought the move was dickish.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
YEAH! Good for TEB! SCREW CHARITIES!!!!

Meh, don't care.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(07-20-2016, 12:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know how to feel about this. I mean, if they had done this -at- the convention I'd more inclined to laugh my ass off about it. But just because this concert was in proximity doesn't seem like a good reason to do this. I'd be willing to bet there were boos in the crowd because they just thought the move was dickish.

I wonder what the nature of the event was. Sounds like RIAA, a lobbying group, sponsored it and it was invite only with the money going to Musicians on Call. One person was quoted as saying they got their credentials for it, so I am not sure if the lobbying group paid for the whole thing or invitees paid their entrance. If it is the latter, I feel their frustration, but if I am supporting the RNC, I had to be aware of what a group that has previously stated that they'd "occupy" the convention might do.

https://www.riaa.com/third-eye-blind-to-headline-charity-event-for-musicians-on-call-during-republican-national-convention/

Quote:Musicians On Call was founded in 1999 with the mission of bringing live and recorded music to the bedsides of patients in healthcare facilities ranging from children’s hospitals to adult facilities, VA hospitals and hospices. To date, its volunteers have played for half a million people in 20 cities across the country. By delivering live, in-room performances to patients undergoing treatment or unable to leave their beds, they add a dose of joy to life in a healthcare facility. MOC supporters over the years include Bruce Springsteen, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Antebellum, Justin Timberlake, Ed Sheeran, Reba, Gavin DeGraw, Darius Rucker, Pharrell, Amos Lee, Nick Jonas, Rachel Platten and many more. The event will help raise critical funds for Musicians On Call to expand its Bedside Performance Program to other cities and facilities.

Folks are supporting this dick move? I really can find no association with the RNC, except they were in town at the same time.

Hopefully, Nellie will be more professional as he performs during the DNC for the same charity.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

He showed those fascist pigs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-20-2016, 12:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks are supporting this dick move? I really can find no association with the RNC, except they were in town at the same time.

Hopefully, Nellie will be more professional as he performs during the DNC for the same charity.

This.

And when fredtoast agrees with bfine you can bet it is a valid point.
I don't think TEB has had a top-40 song in over 15 years - you'd think they'd just be happy to get a gig these days.
--------------------------------------------------------

Who?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(07-20-2016, 12:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Third Eye Blind refused to play at the 2012 RNC, but they accepted an invite for a private party held at the RnR HOF this time around. It appears that they did so to troll Republicans.

They saved Jumper, a song about a man who tries to take his life because he is gay, for the end and praised LGBT rights and said gay people need to be brought into the American fabric.

“To love this song is to take into your heart the message and to actually have the feeling to arrive and move forward and not live your life in fear [not] imposing that fear on other people,”

At one point, they asked the crowd "Who believes in science?" and they were met with boos. They responded "You can boo all you want, but I’m the mother****ing artist up here.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/third-eye-blind-rnc-performance

Videos in the link. They teased a setlist that included Semi-Charmed Life as the encore, but they didn't come out for an encore.

One twitter user tweeted at them that she was disappointed in the show, they responded "Good".

It seems like the crowd was mixed in their reception of the message. Some cheered, some booed.

The most offensive part of this is someone in Third Eye Blind referred to themselves as an artist.
(07-21-2016, 12:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The most offensive part of this is someone in Third Eye Blind referred to themselves as an artist.

I think there's only two members even left from the original band.

(07-21-2016, 12:18 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I think there's only two members even left from the original band.

You mean everyone didn't stick around to be part of the epicness that is Third Eye Blind?
How does the GOP not book Midnight Oil for every convention?

(07-20-2016, 03:40 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I don't think TEB has had a top-40 song in over 15 years - you'd think they'd just be happy to get a gig these days.

(07-21-2016, 12:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The most offensive part of this is someone in Third Eye Blind referred to themselves as an artist.

(07-21-2016, 12:18 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I think there's only two members even left from the original band.

(07-21-2016, 12:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean everyone didn't stick around to be part of the epicness that is Third Eye Blind?

Let's not forget that TEB was asked to play at the RNC! Whose making decisions at the RNC these days?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Yeah, but that was 2012 when 'what's his name' had binders full of ....... bands
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-21-2016, 11:57 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's not forget that TEB was asked to play at the RNC! Whose making decisions at the RNC these days?

the Donald.
Mellow
The Prophets of Rage ( 3 members of Rage Against the Machine, Chuck D, & B Real) have also set up shop in Cleveland. They have played free shows and another where all profits went to a local homeless shelter. They will also have "a presence" in Philadelphia at the DNC, but will not perform there. I like this because they share my disgust with both parties.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-21-2016, 09:18 PM)jason Wrote: The Prophets of Rage ( 3 members of Rage Against the Machine, Chuck D, & B Real) have also set up shop in Cleveland. They have played free shows and another where all profits went to a local homeless shelter. They will also have "a presence" in Philadelphia at the DNC, but will not perform there. I like this because they share my disgust with both parties.

I hate them because AWOLNATION was suppose to play in Baltimore but canceled their tour to open for Prophets of Rage. Found out a few days before the show. 

POR will be in Northern Virginia but the tickets are double what the AWOLNATION tour costs. They're donating profits and all tickets cost the same no matter the seat, but it means every ticket is 70 bucks. 

(07-20-2016, 03:47 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Who?

Don't get all pissy because it wasn't Gin Blossoms. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."