Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Feels Like a "Must-Win" Game
Ok, stay with me here. I'm using it more as an expression than literal. I don't believe that are any games are must-wins other than games that eliminate you from the playoffs or playoff contention. But I do think that we really need to get a W in this one.

First home game of the season, coming off a tough loss. Even earlier in the year, 1-2 vs 2-1 has a pretty different feel if you're going into the season as a contender. While 1-2 isn't the end of the world, you're left facing with two straight losses, against team many had you rated above going into the season.

Now onto my biggest reasons for an early sense of urgency:

1.) You have the quick turnaround with the Thursday night game. For almost any team not named the Patriots, these Thursday night games reek havoc on teams. All of them. It's just such a quick turnaround when guys should be recovering. You lose 3 full days of what should be needed rest and planning. That's why the stats from so many Thurs. nights game so different than others. Teams are beat up. So you have that in play, coupled with the fact that we have absolutely horrendous in Prime Time under Lewis. Call it bad luck, bad coaching, whatever, but we've been dreadful. So when you account for all that this game scares me a lot more than it usually would. I'd say it's a coin flip.

2.) You're two games following these two home games are both road games, and one just happens to be in Foxboro, when Tom Brady is coming back, from what many consider an unfair punishment. Good luck with that one. I don't want to say we have zero chance to win at Foxboro, but I'd put very low. Like less than 20%, maybe less than 10%

Looking at that stretch, immediately following this game, looks a lot scarier coming off of a loss than a win IMO. I just know how this league works. You're sitting at 1-2, and somehow we drop a game against Miami in Primetime, or in Dallas on the road. That's very easy to see. And God Forbid somehow we lost both. But I think there's a good chance you see a split there. And then with a near automatic L immediately following, you could be looking at 2-4. (This is based on the scenario if we were to lose this week.)

I know some of you are rolling your eyes. And that's fair. I get it. I just know that it's a tough stretch and I think we could really use a 2-1 start going into rather than a 1-2 start. I mean, this team lost 4 games all of the last year. And that was with Andy missing, what, 4 games? I would just hate to start out slow, then hit this stretch and be left with a record that leaves us with a lot of ground to make up.

No reason we shouldn't beat a team that has a 7th round QB, that never had a start before this season, and hasn't looked all that great thus far. At home, it's as close to a must-win for me as it gets. Get it done for us, guys!
Reply/Quote
I won't argue with the urgency, and we've seen this team pull off miracles/turnarounds at home.
Reply/Quote
Lol. Does Denver even need an offense?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 11:10 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lol. Does Denver even need an offense?
I think the rules if football dictate that the do have to have an offense.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think you're right to feel this sense of panic. Good teams are good from start to finish. If we are going to be legit we have to start right. *****. now. There is not a single team in the NFL that we can't beat. Every win will be a testament to how bad we want that trophy this year. If we don't put our foot down and show the rest of the league that we're contenders, we might as well not even play the damn game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not worried yet. Our fanbase tends to write them off when they're down by 3 during a game. They come back and impress. We are not whole as a team yet. We will get going again. NFL threw us a bad hand with suspending Burfict. Eifert getting hurt in the pro-bowl was BS and also the NFL's fault for having that stupid game in the first place. The Steeler game was fixed, there was no way we we're coming out of there with a victory. The ref's assured us of that. Even if we go 1-2. Relax! We will get it going.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 11:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, stay with me here.  I'm using it more as an expression than literal.  I don't believe that are any games are must-wins other than games that eliminate you from the playoffs or playoff contention.  But I do think that we really need to get a W in this one.

First home game of the season, coming off a tough loss.  Even earlier in the year, 1-2 vs 2-1 has a pretty different feel if you're going into the season as a contender.  While 1-2 isn't the end of the world, you're left facing with two straight losses, against team many had you rated above going into the season.

1.) You have the quick turnaround with the Thursday night game.  For almost any team not named the Patriots, these Thursday night games reek havoc on teams.  All of them.  It's just such a quick turnaround when guys should be recovering.  You lose 3 full days of what should be needed rest and planning.  That's why the stats from so many Thurs. nights game so different than others.  Teams are beat up.  So you have that in play, coupled with the fact that we have absolutely horrendous in Prime Time under Lewis.  Call it bad luck, bad coaching, whatever, but we've been dreadful.  So when you account for all that this game scares me a lot more than it usually would.  I'd say it's a coin flip.

2.) You're two games following these two home games are both road games, and one just happens to be in Foxboro, when Tom Brady is coming back, from what many consider an unfair punishment.  Good luck with that one.  I don't want to say we have zero chance to win at Foxboro, but I'd put very low.  Like less than 20%, maybe less than 10%

Looking at that stretch, immediately following this game, looks a lot scarier coming off of a loss than a win IMO.  I just know how this league works.  You're sitting at 1-2, and somehow we drop a game against Miami in Primetime, or in Dallas on the road.  That's very easy to see. And God Forbid somehow we lost both.  But I think there's a good chance you see a split there.  And then with a near automatic L immediately following, you could be looking at 2-4. (This is based on the scenario if we were to lose this week.)

I know some of you are rolling your eyes.  And that's fair.  I get it.  I just know that it's a tough stretch and I think we could really use a 2-1 start going into rather than a 1-2 start.  I mean, this team lost 4 games all of the last year.  And that was with Andy missing, what, 4 games?  I would just hate to start out slow, then hit this stretch and be left with a record that leaves us with a lot of ground to make up.

No reason we shouldn't beat a team that has a 7th round QB, that never had a start before this season, and hasn't looked all that great thus far.  At home, it's as close to a must-win for me as it gets.  Get it done for us, guys!

Not to mention how this team has struggled against the Dolphins lately and they do not do well in big stage games.
Reply/Quote
This is the only sport with so few games in a season. They are all must-win.
Reply/Quote
Hum, well, since losing means going 1-2 and likely being 2 1/2 games behind Steelers for the division, it pretty much is a must win.

Reply/Quote
Cast my vote with the must win gang. If we lose today, we very well could be playing catch up all season long not to mention week 6 which, let's face it not many teams go into New England and come out with a win. Somethings gotta give today either make a statement or be prepared for possibly a long season
Reply/Quote
I think you have "must win" confused with "will win". Dalton and the boys are going to roll Denver. I can't wait.
Reply/Quote
No way in hell this is a "must win" when it will only be our second loss of the season. You people are way over the top. You are acting like the only way to make the playoffs is to go 14-2 or 13-3.

We will still be missing the best player on our defense (Burfict) as well as one of the biggest wepons on our offense (Eifert). It will not be the end of the world if we lose.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 11:10 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lol. Does Denver even need an offense?

They have the #5 rushing offense in the league and the Bengals have the worst run defense (#32) in the league.

Plus their QB play was pretty lame last year when they won it all.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 11:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, stay with me here. I'm using it more as an expression than literal. I don't believe that are any games are must-wins other than games that eliminate you from the playoffs or playoff contention. But I do think that we really need to get a W in this one.

First home game of the season, coming off a tough loss. Even earlier in the year, 1-2 vs 2-1 has a pretty different feel if you're going into the season as a contender. While 1-2 isn't the end of the world, you're left facing with two straight losses, against team many had you rated above going into the season.

1.) You have the quick turnaround with the Thursday night game. For almost any team not named the Patriots, these Thursday night games reek havoc on teams. All of them. It's just such a quick turnaround when guys should be recovering. You lose 3 full days of what should be needed rest and planning. That's why the stats from so many Thurs. nights game so different than others. Teams are beat up. So you have that in play, coupled with the fact that we have absolutely horrendous in Prime Time under Lewis. Call it bad luck, bad coaching, whatever, but we've been dreadful. So when you account for all that this game scares me a lot more than it usually would. I'd say it's a coin flip.

2.) You're two games following these two home games are both road games, and one just happens to be in Foxboro, when Tom Brady is coming back, from what many consider an unfair punishment. Good luck with that one. I don't want to say we have zero chance to win at Foxboro, but I'd put very low. Like less than 20%, maybe less than 10%

Looking at that stretch, immediately following this game, looks a lot scarier coming off of a loss than a win IMO. I just know how this league works. You're sitting at 1-2, and somehow we drop a game against Miami in Primetime, or in Dallas on the road. That's very easy to see. And God Forbid somehow we lost both. But I think there's a good chance you see a split there. And then with a near automatic L immediately following, you could be looking at 2-4. (This is based on the scenario if we were to lose this week.)

I know some of you are rolling your eyes. And that's fair. I get it. I just know that it's a tough stretch and I think we could really use a 2-1 start going into rather than a 1-2 start. I mean, this team lost 4 games all of the last year. And that was with Andy missing, what, 4 games? I would just hate to start out slow, then hit this stretch and be left with a record that leaves us with a lot of ground to make up.

No reason we shouldn't beat a team that has a 7th round QB, that never had a start before this season, and hasn't looked all that great thus far. At home, it's as close to a must-win for me as it gets. Get it done for us, guys!

Your point about the 7th round QB would make sense if we weren't talking about Denver. Their defense has been straight up carrying them since Peyton's arm abruptly turned into a noodle at the end of the 2014 season.

1-2 is not a death sentence. Yeah, it would suck, but all of our goals are still ahead of us at 1-2. The clutch win against the Jets in Week 1 guarantees that we come out of the most brutal stretch of maybe any team that isn't Miami to start the season (they played in Seattle, then in New England, and somehow that's supposed to be fair...).

There is no such thing as must-win game in Week 3, unless maybe we're talking about an 0-3 start. I think 0-3 is a death knell, but at 1-2 you're one win away from a .500 record.

I know people have a hard time envisioning this, but if this team is supposed to be "elite" and supposedly has the "deepest roster in the league" then we will get ours. Sure, we'll drop a game or two against a team we're supposed to beat, but in the end, the NFL season will average itself out.

I still think this is a 12-win team on paper. Nothing short of a blowout win by Denver would be able to change that because it's only Week 3. Sorry, man.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 11:12 PM)jason Wrote: I think the rules if football dictate that the do have to have an offense.

You just spoke to how amazing Denver's defense is in that you literally answered that question, lol.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
Not a must win but it definitely has a sense of urgency to it.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No way in hell this is a "must win" when it will only be our second loss of the season.  You people are way over the top.  You are acting like the only way to make the playoffs is to go 14-2 or 13-3.

It's true.  Marvin has never missed the playoffs as long as he cracks the 9-win mark...he's blessed or something.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 03:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well, since losing means going 1-2 and likely being 2 1/2 games behind Steelers for the division, it pretty much is a must win.

I just can't get on board with this line of thought. Even if Pittsburgh goes 16-0, we can still accomplish everything that we want to. As long as we control our own destiny, there is no must-win game. Save it for elimination games.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I just can't fall in line with this line of thought. Even if Pittsburgh goes 16-0, we can still accomplish everything that we want to. As long as we control our own destiny, there is no must-win game. Save it for elimination games.

Exactly.  9 or 10 wins would have gotten into the playoffs on the AFC side every year since 2011...the extra wins are just a bonus we haven't turned into an advantage yet anyways.  I'd bet the lowest seed in the AFC gets in the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins again this year, so it isn't the end of the world if we don't go 13-3.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No way in hell this is a "must win" when it will only be our second loss of the season.  You people are way over the top.  You are acting like the only way to make the playoffs is to go 14-2 or 13-3.

We will still be missing the best player on our defense (Burfict) as well as one of the biggest wepons on our offense (Eifert).  It will not be the end of the world if we lose.

It's more than just 'making' the playoffs IMHO.  Like I  said before, the two times they made it to the SB, they had the #1 seed at 12-4.  With the adversity they are facing this year, I don't see much hope without at least a #2 seed and they can't get that without winning the division.
Reply/Quote