Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is One Whacky Year In Football
What the Pats are doing this year with a no-name rookie and no big stars on their team - is amazing IMO.

Bill is LEGIT. Hard to deny.

We have all this talent and it’s frightening how bad we look at times.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 07:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: Watching the Browns get destroyed today and the Jets looking like the Jets every game except against us makes me wonder where does this team really stand?

It is such a whacky year. Every team seems to be shaky at times, especially in the AFC. Will be interesting to see what the Bengals do coming out of the bye.

Zac like the car salesman he is was touting this past offseason that Bengal fans are going to be very surprised at what will happen this season. Well he has a chance to go either way this second half. Will he live up to his quote or will he sell you a lemon that breaks down 3 miles away from the car dealership?

I never thought of this before, and I have no stats to back it up, but I wonder if what seems to be a multitude of one-year deals for many players and many teams (as the cap is expected to take a huge jump) is elevating the effort of players at many levels of participation across the league.  

I know people will say "they are professionals", but it always seems to bring the best out of someone when they are in a contract year.  Except, maybe, Jesse Bates.  That is not meant to be a shot.  

Even the lowliest teams have had some pretty good play despite weakness at the QB position (Jets, Lions). 

It is very strange.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:38 AM)Whacked Wrote: What the Pats are doing this year with a no-name rookie and no big stars on their team - is amazing IMO.

Their defense is amazing and adjusts so quickly.  The offense is somewhat boring, but they play "mistake free" football and just grind you down.  I think watching their offensive line design against the Browns front needs to be mandatory teaching for the Bengals OC and Zac (and Pollack). 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 02:38 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the Patriots cut Cam Newton and decided to let Mac Jones learn on the job and they were 2-4 and now they are 6-4.  I guess we will see how things shake out, but it's like their rebuild took a month and ours is taking 6 years and the Raiders are taking 20+ years and the Lions rebuild seems to be taking 60+ years.

I was talking about the offensive line scheme of the Pats being required learning for the Bengal's coaches, but really it should be the entire scheme. 

They NEVER have the ball in Jones's hands more than 2.5 seconds.  Everything is timing.  If it isn't there, throw it away.  But (this is very different than the Bengals) they use their best receiving options on the checkdown routes.  Those HAVE to be there.  Everything was dink and dunk, but that target was always open and almost always got a few YAC.

It may not be sexy, but it protects the QB and it grinds out drives.  Only thing that will stop them is a defense that can cover the short and intermediate routes extremely well and only the Packers and Bucs seem to fit that bill right now.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:38 AM)Whacked Wrote: What the Pats are doing this year with a no-name rookie and no big stars on their team - is amazing IMO.

Agreed about the Pats. Their offense impresses me because they developed a plan and then invested in it through free agency and the draft.. They signed the TEs, played to the strength of their RBs on the roster and newly drafted players, and identified Jones as the QB to manage the offense. It is hard to deny Bill and Josh run a good system. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was talking about the offensive line scheme of the Pats being required learning for the Bengal's coaches, but really it should be the entire scheme. 

They NEVER have the ball in Jones's hands more than 2.5 seconds.  Everything is timing.  If it isn't there, throw it away. 

The statistic which blew my mind from yesterday’s Browns-Patriots game was New England’s third down conversion rate. I think they only failed to convert ONCE.
Reply/Quote

I often wonder what the Bengals could do with a real coach; maybe one who has won playoff games in the past. I have nothing against Zac Taylor personally but here in Cincinnati head coach is an entry level job.

The analogy I like is the excellent musicians of the London Symphony Orchestra being directed by the music staff of Hee Haw.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 10:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The statistic which blew my mind from yesterday’s Browns-Patriots game was New England’s third down conversion rate.  I think they only failed to convert ONCE.

McDaniels is not HC material, IMHO.  He's immature and bratty, but he sure knows how to design an offense to fit their talent.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 10:42 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I often wonder what the Bengals could do with a real coach; maybe one who has won playoff games in the past.  I have nothing against Zac Taylor personally but here in Cincinnati head coach is an entry level job.

The analogy I like is the excellent musicians of the London Symphony Orchestra being directed by the music staff of Hee Haw.

I honestly believe ZT could be a great HC, but a HC is only as good as their coordinators.  People talk about Marv's overall record, but the team was at its best when they had Zim as DC and Gruden as OC.  

I am not sure about Callahan, but I have faith in Burrow to be vocal enough to ask for what he wants and will make it work.  My biggest question is the defense.  I really liked what Anarumo was doing early, but the complete lack of pressure from the front four in the last two weeks has been very concerning without many changes. 

Where is the safety blitz with Hilton?  Why not blitz Phillips?  That seems to be one of his best traits.  Waiting to get better at what is not working has never worked in my eyes.  They need to adjust faster and get the energy of the defense up with more pressure packages.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Their defense is amazing and adjusts so quickly.  The offense is somewhat boring, but they play "mistake free" football and just grind you down.  I think watching their offensive line design against the Browns front needs to be mandatory teaching for the Bengals OC and Zac (and Pollack). 

Agreed. Especially on the mistake-free part. They are not flashy - just solid and do their jobs (and are coached very well).
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 10:42 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I often wonder what the Bengals could do with a real coach; maybe one who has won playoff games in the past. I have nothing against Zac Taylor personally but here in Cincinnati head coach is an entry level job.

I’m with you Zach. He seems like a nice enough guy.

Nice doesn’t win games. He doesn’t seem like the leader to me but rather - just one of the guys - who just happens to be the coach.

My guess is we would be 7-2.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They need to adjust faster and get the energy of the defense up with more pressure packages.  

This quote is money, Racer. What did the lopsided wins against the Steelers and Ravens have in common? PRESSURE! Ben Roethlisberger could barely waddle by the end of the game and Lamar Jackson got thrown around like a crash test dummy.

Derek Carr who the Bengals will face this week is like “good” Andy Dalton: Give him time to throw and he’ll carve up a secondary. Pressure him and he doesn’t.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 07:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: Watching the Browns get destroyed today and the Jets looking like the Jets every game except against us makes me wonder where does this team really stand?

It is such a whacky year. Every team seems to be shaky at times, especially in the AFC. Will be interesting to see what the Bengals do coming out of the bye.

Zac like the car salesman he is was touting this past offseason that Bengal fans are going to be very surprised at what will happen this season. Well he has a chance to go either way this second half. Will he live up to his quote or will he sell you a lemon that breaks down 3 miles away from the car dealership?

Everyone is beating everyone this season.
Bengals got embarrassed by Jets.
Ravens got embarrassed by Dolphins.
Chargers got whipped by Ravens.
Browns got embarrassed by Patriots.
Steelers tied an 0-8 Lions team.
Bills lost to the lowly Jags.
Chiefs had a few more losses than expected by this point.

Bengals have hope to beat any team still on this schedule, but there also aren't any guaranteed wins I could say at this point either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Jets beat the "best" team in the AFC now... the Titans. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: McDaniels is not HC material, IMHO.  He's immature and bratty, but he sure knows how to design an offense to fit their talent.  

He demonstrated this when coaching Denver. I was living in CO at the time and the local sports talk would play this clip of him screaming at players during stretches prior to practice. He wasn't coming off as tough or disciplined, but rather, as you describe immature and bratty. It wasn't surprising at all when he was fired.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This quote is money, Racer.  What did the lopsided wins against the Steelers and Ravens have in common?  PRESSURE!  Ben Roethlisberger could barely waddle by the end of the game and Lamar Jackson got thrown around like a crash test dummy.

Derek Carr who the Bengals will face this week is like “good” Andy Dalton: Give him time to throw and he’ll carve up a secondary.  Pressure him and he doesn’t.

Dead on, and although I really like Carr as a person, I need to see him get the ever loving shit beat out of him.  This defense needs to be breathing fire against pitt at home after the Raider game.

Carr isn't the most mobile guy, either.  They need to dial up more pressure and help the secondary.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:33 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He demonstrated this when coaching Denver. I was living in CO at the time and the local sports talk would play this clip of him screaming at players during stretches prior to practice. He wasn't coming off as tough or disciplined, but rather, as you describe immature and bratty. It wasn't surprising at all when he was fired.

Yep, and he reminded me of Todd Haley a bit....heck of an offensive mind that just isn't a leader.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 04:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, and he reminded me of Todd Haley a bit....heck of an offensive mind that just isn't a leader.  

I'm also surprised teams would express interest in him anymore after the Colts situation. I'm speculating Josh is holding out for as many years as it takes for Bill to retire from coaching the Patriots. Josh probably wants that job.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 04:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm also surprised teams would express interest in him anymore after the Colts situation. I'm speculating Josh is holding out for as many years as it takes for Bill to retire from coaching the Patriots. Josh probably wants that job.

It is all a part of the Patriot Master Plan.  

They have a great defense, and a coordinator gets all the credit.  He gets a HC job and sucks rhinoceros balls.  The team he leaves is down for a few years because that coach (really a mole), isn't there to get wins, but to destroy the team. 

The Pats then either bring him back to coach as thanks, or he retires with the ridiculous money he was given to be a head coach.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I was kidding when I wrote this, but it actually seems really accurate. 
Reply/Quote
....and the 3-5 49ers are taking it to the 7-2 Rams.
WTH IS GOING ON IN THE NFL???
Reply/Quote