Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
This Offensive Line is still ASS
The difference was CLEAR as day yesterday. The Browns are good in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. Baker had all day to throw. Joe had about 1 second before guys were in his face.

I think Joe took about 15 HARD hits yesterday - not even exaggerating. How this guy is still standing at this point is beyond me.

Don't let ANYONE fool you into thinking that running this offensive line out there isn't still a liability. When we face good defensive line units (Jets, Browns) they are completely over matched.

Quiten Spain and Riley Reiff (two of the better offensive lineman on this trash unit) are FAs after this year. How in the HELL is this front office going to fix this? They sure as hell didn't do enough to fix it last off-season.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The Browns might have one of the best OL in the league, so it made the Bengals weak OL even more apparent. Browns OL & Chubb can have their way with defenses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Weren't we supposed to take advantage of the Browns backup tackles? Never again should anyone say that about the Bengals facing back ups. We are much better off facing the starters of teams. Their backup line was better than our starting line.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:08 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The difference was CLEAR as day yesterday. The Browns are good in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. Baker had all day to throw. Joe had about 1 second before guys were in his face.

I think Joe took about 15 HARD hits yesterday - not even exaggerating. How this guy is still standing at this point is beyond me.

Don't let ANYONE fool you into thinking that running this offensive line out there isn't still a liability. When we face good defensive line units (Jets, Browns) they are completely over matched.

Quiten Spain and Riley Reiff (two of the better offensive lineman on this trash unit) are FAs after this year. How in the HELL is this front office going to fix this? They sure as hell didn't do enough to fix it last off-season.

reiff isn't really good either. he's adequate. his legs are slow now and even with his superior upper body technique, younger/faster defenders beat him often enough. 

spain is solid enough, but given the situation with rest of the oline, it's a dumpster fire that can't run/pass block with any dependability. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:08 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The difference was CLEAR as day yesterday. The Browns are good in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. Baker had all day to throw. Joe had about 1 second before guys were in his face.

While Spain and Reiff didn't have their best games, the two consistently worse spots on the OL this year are C and RG.
The Bengals incorrectly assumed Hopkins would get back to his good pass-protecting ways in time for the season.
Carman hasn't developed fast enough to solidify the RG spot and XSF is (yet again) injured.

Luckily, they should have enough cap to re-sign both Spain and Reiff, bring in another vet, and also spend a high draft pick to finally properly address the OL.

As frustrated as some have gotten because the team did well early in the season, it's important to realize that there has still been improvement.
No longer are we going in week after week assuming a loss. Now it's up in the air.
This team is probably going to teeter around .500 this season. They can then address the few positions they really need to in the offseason and should hopefully be a contender next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This line is, indeed, basura.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
They should have signed a C, at least, in FA, and moved heaven and earth to do so. I'm not interested in their excuses. The only reason there was a debate regarding sewell was due to this failure in FA.

About midway through the 3rd quarter, grandson and I went to play tennis. It was a beautiful day, and I wasn't going to waste any more of it watching this team. It's not entertaining, and this organization has a long ways to go before I live and die with this team.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:08 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Don't let ANYONE fool you into thinking that running this offensive line out there isn't still a liability. When we face good defensive line units (Jets, Browns) they are completely over matched.

dont forget Chicago too
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:32 AM)SladeX Wrote: They should have signed a C, at least, in FA, and moved heaven and earth to do so. I'm not interested in their excuses. The only reason there was a debate regarding sewell was due to this failure in FA.

can't believe the bengals didn't make a trade for a og/c at the deadline. there were some cheap options out there. bengals looked at what they had and went, "nah, we're good."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While Spain and Reiff didn't have their best games, the two consistently worse spots on the OL this year are C and RG.
The Bengals incorrectly assumed Hopkins would get back to his good pass-protecting ways in time for the season.
Carman hasn't developed fast enough to solidify the RG spot and XSF is (yet again) injured.

Luckily, they should have enough cap to re-sign both Spain and Reiff, bring in another vet, and also spend a high draft pick to finally properly address the OL.

As frustrated as some have gotten because the team did well early in the season, it's important to realize that there has still been improvement.
No longer are we going in week after week assuming a loss. Now it's up in the air.
This team is probably going to teeter around .500 this season. They can then address the few positions they really need to in the offseason and should hopefully be a contender next year.

This is the biggest thing IMO. 

Hopkins has been one of the worst offensive lineman in the league. Its asinine to keep running him out there. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:39 AM)P W Wrote: can't believe the bengals didn't make a trade for a og/c at the deadline. there were some cheap options out there. bengals looked at what they had and went, "nah, we're good."

They don't "believe in making other teams better" - thats why they don't trade. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:39 AM)P W Wrote: can't believe the bengals didn't make a trade for....

I can't believe you can't believe this. 
Reply/Quote
The line isn't the greatest but it was at the bottom of the list of issues of why we lost. We got down huge due to turnovers, abandon the run and basically had to pass every play allowing Garret ( the best DE in football ), Clowney and company to Tee off on us on every play. There were also a sack or two where a back missed a block and times were Burrow needs to just get rid of the ball. The line can definitely play better but there far from the biggest issues being behind defense, turnovers, QB making bad decisions and play calling.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:39 AM)P W Wrote: can't believe the bengals didn't make a trade for a og/c at the deadline. there were some cheap options out there. bengals looked at what they had and went, "nah, we're good."

Who was out there at the deadline that is better than what we have?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't believe you can't believe this. 

Yes its a head scratcher for sure...you look at what the Browns did yrs ago, they planned it out and knew they needed a very good O line in this Div and they have had one for yrs now and are basically making us look like a high school team each time we play them.  Even thier backups are better the our starting unit.
I watched the Colts O Line push around that Jets D line on Thursday nite and was just jealous. 
Not excusing some of the bonehead picks..... but imagine what Burrow could do if he had something at this caliber
Reply/Quote
Just the same old crap, different season. It is always "next season". I have been waiting for 31 seasons for it to be "next season".

Oh well, I got tricked after the Ravens game and got my old excitement back that has not been there since the 2015 playoff debacle.

Back to being numb on Sunday. It only took the Bengals 14 days to crush my football spirit again. Hopefully they win, but will expect the same old same old dysfunctional Bengals.

I mean seriously, what does anyone really expect from the worst front office in the NFL and the only one without a real GM coupled with 2nd/3rd tier coaching?

I am sorry for being negative and I try very hard not to be, but it felt so good to feel that excitement again after being numb for 6 years and then to have it ripped away within 14 days just sucks guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't believe you can't believe this. 

look either it's "a new dey" or a "seize the dey" or its a "same ole dey."

are you asking me if i was shocked as a lifelong fan of the bengals, that mike browns front office refused to give up a day 3 pick to improve a significant roster weakness in hopes of maybe producing a winning season?
no.

are you asking me if i've bought into the rebranded kool-aid/gatorade/slogans as opposed to actual moves?
no.

are you asking me if mike brown should maybe make a real effort to avoid another lost decade before he leaves this realm of existence?
sigh. and that is the FML as a bengals fan part of the equation.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:33 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: dont forget Chicago too

My only issue is everyone keeps saying, this is the best defensive line we're gonna face after we get our ass handed to us. 

We heard that after the Bears, Packers, Jets, and Browns games.  Looking at our future opponents, all but maybe 2 have stout defensive lines. 

So should we expect a loss anytime we play a good team with a good DL?  The Raiders have a damn good DL, Browns, Steelers, Chargers, 49ers all have damn good DL's....if our OL doesn't improve over the bye week then we can expect at least 5 more losses. 

Again, I'm not being negative because I have faith in the players, not so much the coaches, but definitely the players they can right this ship. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is the biggest thing IMO. 

Hopkins has been one of the worst offensive lineman in the league. Its asinine to keep running him out there. 

Yes but they don't have options now.
Trade deadline has passed.

It's Hopkins or Hill at this point (and Hill hasn't looked that good either).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:21 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Just the same old crap, different season.  It is always "next season".  I have been waiting for 31 seasons for it to be "next season".  

Oh well, I got tricked after the Ravens game and got my old excitement back that has not been there since the 2015 playoff debacle.  

Back to being numb on Sunday.  It only took the Bengals 14 days to crush my football spirit again.  Hopefully they win, but will expect the same old same old dysfunctional Bengals.

I mean seriously, what does anyone really expect from the worst front office in the NFL and the only one without a real GM coupled with 2nd/3rd tier coaching?

I am sorry for being negative and I try very hard not to be, but it felt so good to feel that excitement again after being numb for 6 years and then to have it ripped away within 14 days just sucks guys.

I mean, if you've been waiting 31 seasons and feel it's "same crap, different season," the Ravens game shouldn't have brought back the excitement so soon. You should have waited, like me, until November was over.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote