Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Sunday Is The First Test For This Defense
(10-06-2021, 05:01 PM)Synric Wrote: They just signed Rasul Douglas.

Which probably indicates Alexander is out or atleast a game time decision.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 02:09 PM)GodFather Wrote: The defense has been playing great up to this point in 4 games, ranking in the top ten in almost every category, but is this just a product of schedule magic? (of the 4 teams we played so far they all have 4 combined wins between them all)

Well with Aaron Rodgers coming to town there will be no excuses this Sunday on where this defense stands against the NFL top teams.

What are your expectations? The defense to continue to play top 10 "D" or will the ball drop and see the Lou "D" we've been accustomed to watching the past two years?

Cant we say that more for offensive for test, Minn has a top scoring offensive and our def. Did fine
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I've avoided mention this because I don't feel like dealing with being called negative or doom and gloomy or people thinking it is a toss back to the off-season draft debate, but it is the same when you look at the offense. People are making threads and getting all hyped and tossing it around like this OL is completely fixed while they ignore the teams that were played. The Vikings are bad, and their defense ranks as giving up the 8th most yards in the NFL. The Steelers had multiple starters missing, including their best pass rusher in Watt a guy you have to game plan for and their best coverage guy in Haden. The other win is against the defense allowing the 3rd most yards and a team that is just not good. The OL should be looking dominate in those games, the one time they played a really good front was the Bears, and the OL graded poorly. 

It is great to see the team winning games it should win, and it's great to have a winning record but it is also fair to be skeptical of the vast improvement until the team is tested more against better competition. Let's see how it looks after Green Bay, and Cleveland, and even Denver still has a good defense. 

I'm hopeful it continues, but anyone who was a fan of this team for more than two seasons knows that you have to be ready for things to drastically change at any moment. That isn't negative, that isn't combative or being down on the team, that is the programmed condition of being a Bengal fan for a lifetime. 
Joe Haden played against the Bengals..Chase scored on him..
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m almost certain that it was real. Everett has been asked about it plenty of times and maintains that it was not at all staged. Jim Rome does as well. In fact, Rome said that he regretted it in a 2003 interview, saying that he “went too far” by calling him Chris Everett three times.

" I bet you won't say it again.." I bet I do.. Chris.. lol... Flips table...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 05:10 PM)Tony Wrote: Joe Haden played against the Bengals..Chase scored on him..

I thought it was Pierre on the throw down the sidelines?

And Haden did play, looked at the snap counts, he was listed on the injury report and I honestly thought he was out for the week. Still wasn't at 100% nor was the the rest of their defense, which was the point of the entire post and is still correct.

*It was Highsmith that stayed out. "With Watt and Highsmith out, it will be Melvin Ingram III and Jamir Jones who will get the majority of the work at outside linebacker." And Stephon Tuitt also missed the game. Which again supports the statement of their defense not being very good with so many guys out. Much like how the Bengals looked when Geno and Reader, the list goes on were out last year.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I still maintain that the tendency on this board to always try to minimize anything the team or its players accomplish is a bit over the top. Like it or not they HAVE played well on defense and they ARE much more in sync offensively now. The Bears game was weird because a lot of the issue was Zac handcuffing his own offense by not allowing it to go deep. When he did they scored quickly.

The REAL key is whether Zac will get out of the way of his team and let them play - let Burrow be Burrow and so on. The D will overall handle its end and keep the score manageable and if the offense is unshackled we could have ourselves a shootout.
Reply/Quote
Two of their interior offensive lineman, and one who is their best outside Bahktiari, did not practice today.
Reply/Quote
Green Bay is interesting. On offense they are MUCH better than the statistics show because of the 38-3 shellacking they took at the hands of the Saints in Week One but in their other three games they were very efficient. The Saints sacked Aaron Rodgers twice and picked him off twice and shut down the Packers’ run game.

Also, New Orleans dominated Time of Possession; this is critical in keeping Rodgers and Randall Cobb off the field. The Saints had success running against Green Bay.

Lou Anarumo has no doubt watched lots of film on Green Bay and there is a lot of good and bad to see. Job Number One is keeping Aaron Rodgers from getting his feet set to throw and sacking him as much as possible. Don’t forget 2009 when Antwan Odom made Rodgers his (insert vulgar word for female dog here) which made Rodgers unusually skittish. Rodgers is either hot or cold; the more pressure he gets the worse he gets which means tight coverage will lead to more sacks. He almost never throws the ball out of bounds unless every receiver is tightly covered.

Green Bay runs only slightly less than they pass and their offensive line excels at opening holes, pulling, and sustaining blocks. AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones get about the same amount of carries but Dillon was much better against the Steelers last week. Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson are in for a long tired slog if the Cincinnati defensive line can’t contain Dillon and Jones on first contact.

This game IS winnable by the Bengals but only if Lou and the defense establish dominance early in the game, limit the Packers from third down conversions, and keep Rodgers on the bench.

As good as Joe Burrow has become the last thing he needs is a high scoring shootout type game against Aaron Rodgers. With Joe Mixon out the Bengals will need a solid run performance from Chris Evans and Samaje Perine. Good defense will enable these things to happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 06:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: I still maintain that the tendency on this board to always try to minimize anything the team or its players accomplish is a bit over the top. Like it or not they HAVE played well on defense and they ARE much more in sync offensively now. The Bears game was weird because a lot of the issue was Zac handcuffing his own offense by not allowing it to go deep. When he did they scored quickly.

The REAL key is whether Zac will get out of the way of his team and let them play - let Burrow be Burrow and so on. The D will overall handle its end and keep the score manageable and if the offense is unshackled we could have ourselves a shootout.

I can't speak for anyone besides myself and this is my opinion on the team and my thoughts on what the so called downers on the board mean.

While I somewhat agree, since I said earlier this season that even if the team won the Super Bowl, some fans would find faults in the game, my view is cautiously optimistic, which I feel like describes 90% of the people you want to say are minimizing things. People want the team to win and want the team to do well, but look at their history under Mike Brown. 0 playoff wins. The shit show that was the 90's. Taylor's head coaching record overall. 

People have every right to be wary of this team. Nowhere did I see anyone saying they hope Green Bay smacks the team and makes the homers realize things. Nope... not anywhere.

What people are saying is, "Hey, this is a good offense and a real test for the defense." Meaning, hey, this is a game where they can show us all that this is the new norm for the team. 

That isn't unfair, that doesn't make anyone a downer or less of a fan, it just is a chance for the team to make believers out of people who have been let down by this franchise for decades, that they really have turned the corner.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 07:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I can't speak for anyone besides myself.

While I somewhat agree, since I said earlier this season that even if the team won the Super Bowl, some fans would find faults in the game, my view is cautiously optimistic, which I feel like describes 90% of the people you want to say are minimizing things.

What people are saying is, "Hey, this is a good offense and a real test for the defense." Meaning, hey, this is a game where they can show us all that this is the new norm for the team. 

That isn't unfair, that doesn't make anyone a downer or less of a fan, it just is a place that can make believers out of people who have been let down by this franchise for decades.

You are the new Mayor of Realville and I appreciate your honest take on all things Cincinnati. Green Bay is a handful for any team in the league; they would even give the Bills or Cardinals a tough game. The Bengals will have to fire on all cylinders in all three aspects of the game in order to be competitive this Sunday. This game IS winnable but the Packers are FAR from an “easy out.”
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 07:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You are the new Mayor of Realville and I appreciate your honest take on all things Cincinnati.  Green Bay is a handful for any team in the league; they would even give the Bills or Cardinals a tough game.  The Bengals will have to fire on all cylinders in all three aspects of the game in order to be competitive this Sunday.  This game IS winnable but the Packers are FAR from an “easy out.”

I appreciate that.

I've been told I'm a "downer" and "full of doom and gloom" and I think "argumentative" was used a few times as well.

What I am, is a Bengals fan that has seen so much losing and so many unique ways to lose that I'm not going to get my hopes all the way up again to have Jeremy Hill fumble them away again. 

The Packers are absolutely a handful, great description. Rodgers can still make things happen like few in the league. Watching him drive the field with 37 seconds and no timeouts to beat the 49ers was proof he still has "it". This is a chance for the Bengals to make everyone around that follows the NFL take notice and go, "okay, this team has to be taken seriously". 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 07:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I appreciate that.

I've been told I'm a "downer" and "full of doom and gloom" and I think "argumentative" was used a few times as well.

What I am, is a Bengals fan that has seen so much losing and so many unique ways to lose that I'm not going to get my hopes all the way up again to have Jeremy Hill fumble them away again. 

The Packers are absolutely a handful, great description. Rodgers can still make things happen like few in the league. Watching him drive the field with 37 seconds and no timeouts to beat the 49ers was proof he still has "it". This is a chance for the Bengals to make everyone around that follows the NFL take notice and go, "okay, this team has to be taken seriously". 

Here’s the secret: The Bengals have to prepare every week like their opponent is the 2007 Patriots or the 1972 Miami Dolphins. One must always assume their opponent will play lights out and completely ball in all three aspects of the game. This is the NFL as Urban Meyer is finding out the hard way. There are no easy games.

I hate Bill Belichick’s guts and I think Sean Payton is an entitled thug — and let’s throw Mike Tomlin in here when he has a good roster — and you see those guys always prepare like it’s the last game they’re ever going to coach. Marvin Lewis never got to that point, Zac Taylor can’t get the point, and Mike Brown can’t point at anything successful except his maddening ability to fleece Hamilton County like Vito Corleone.
Reply/Quote
I think I've seen enough of this defense that I expect them to do what they've done so far this season and that's keep the game manageable/winnable. This might be more of a test for the offense because they're gonna have to play a complete game. They don't have to score every drive but they probably can't do what they did against the Jags and do nothing for an entire half. The Packers are gonna get they're points and the best we can expect from the defense is to limit them enough. Then if we're up with a little time left and give Rodgers the ball back hopefully the defense can find a way to make a stop.
Reply/Quote
Looks like the Packers will be signing Jaylon Smith. I wonder if he will be ready for Sunday.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 07:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote:  "okay, this team has to be taken seriously". 

Statement game no doubt about it.

It's not being a downer about the record or achievements thus far.

It's more about the bar being raised and rising to the occasion for our Bengals' defense.

Nothing more, nothing less.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 06:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: I still maintain that the tendency on this board to always try to minimize anything the team or its players accomplish is a bit over the top. Like it or not they HAVE played well on defense and they ARE much more in sync offensively now. The Bears game was weird because a lot of the issue was Zac handcuffing his own offense by not allowing it to go deep. When he did they scored quickly.

Agreed... I've had very few nice things to say about this team the last few seasons, but they are playing well, and they're winning games. Real wins against real teams. The biggest challenge yet is comin' up Sunday, but we can't ignore the fact that Green Bay got waxed by what appears to be an inferior team this year too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 05:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Cant we say that more for offensive for test, Minn has a top scoring offensive and our def. Did fine

A win is a win, but week 1 had the Steelers winning in Buffalo and the Packers scoring 3 points and looking like absolute trash.  I'm of the mind that going against the reigning MVP QB on a "prove it" tour is going to be a test.  Our D has done well, but it was also against the week 1 Vikings, Andy Dalton (actually, they didn't do too well against him) and Justin Fields (who got decimated by the Browns), a Jaguars offense that has been awful and turned the ball over like crazy against everyone except us, and a Steelers team we're gleefully declaring DONE.

So yea, this game should be quite the step up from the first 4 games.  And yes, it should be a test for the offense, too.  If Mixon isn't playing or is limited that's going to add to the pressure for Burrow to throw the ball 50+ times to keep up with Rodgers.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A win is a win, but week 1 had the Steelers winning in Buffalo and the Packers scoring 3 points and looking like absolute trash.  I'm of the mind that going against the reigning MVP QB on a "prove it" tour is going to be a test.  Our D has done well, but it was also against the week 1 Vikings, Andy Dalton (actually, they didn't do too well against him) and Justin Fields (who got decimated by the Browns), a Jaguars offense that has been awful and turned the ball over like crazy against everyone except us, and a Steelers team we're gleefully declaring DONE.

So yea, this game should be quite the step up from the first 4 games.  And yes, it should be a test for the offense, too.  If Mixon isn't playing or is limited that's going to add to the pressure for Burrow to throw the ball 50+ times to keep up with Rodgers.

An Burrow is over here at his locker all like "Just put it in my hands and it's over" Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So yea, this game should be quite the step up from the first 4 games.  And yes, it should be a test for the offense, too.  If Mixon isn't playing or is limited that's going to add to the pressure for Burrow to throw the ball 50+ times to keep up with Rodgers.

I can’t believe I am about to give props to Zac Taylor but this year has been far different than the previous two with respect to play calling. He’s still not where he needs to be but I give Zac his due credit for being much more balanced than he has been in the past. The most passes Joe Burrow has attempted this year is 32 which is awesome. Like it or not, the run game will have to be there on Sunday to beat Green Bay which means Chris Evans and Samaje Perine have to put on their big boy pads and carry the load. The offensive line is run blocking better than in the past so it’s not like Evans and Perine won’t get opportunities to excel.

Throwing the ball 50+ times per game resulted into embarrassingly bad seasons for Zac Taylor and the Bengals. It didn’t even matter who was doing the passing because neither Andy Dalton nor Joe Burrow succeeded without a run game to complement their passing ability. Passing less has resulted in an impressive 3-1 start which I freely admit I did not see coming.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I can’t believe I am about to give props to Zac Taylor but this year has been far different than the previous two with respect to play calling.  He’s still not where he needs to be but  I give Zac his due credit for being much more balanced than he has been in the past. The most passes Joe Burrow has attempted this year is 32 which is awesome.   Like it or not, the run game will have to be there on Sunday to beat Green Bay which means Chris Evans and Samaje Perine have to put on their big boy pads and carry the load. The offensive line is run blocking better than in the past so it’s not like Evans and Perine won’t get opportunities to excel.

Throwing the ball 50+ times per game resulted into embarrassingly bad seasons for Zac Taylor and the Bengals.  It didn’t even matter who was doing the passing because neither Andy Dalton nor Joe Burrow succeeded without a run game to complement their passing ability.  Passing less has resulted in an impressive 3-1 start which I freely admit I did not see coming.

I think when Perine starts getting in rhythm, he will be better than people expect him to be. It's hard for a RB to get going on only a few plays. Plus, with them not substituting him for pass protection, it doesn't tip the hand as much. Mixon was supposed to have improved in that area, but after the first few missed blocks I noticed they were substituting Perine for passing plays. 
Reply/Quote