Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This day in history: Women got the right to vote!
Otherwise know to the Lucy and his ilk as the day our country began to die and women started to stop being feminine. Ninja

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/08/18/today-in-history-women-suffrage-amendment-ratified/21223785/

Quote:On August 18, 1920, the 19th amendment to the Constitution was ratified, giving women the right to vote. The amendment came after more than 70 years of struggle for women suffragists.

Tennessee ultimately ratified the amendment, giving the two-thirds majority of state ratification that is required to make a law.

SEE ALSO: 4,000-year-old tablets found in Turkey mention women's rights

The ratification states: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex." It also says, "Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

The beginning of the 20th century came with women having a more prominent role in American society, and the ratification of the 19th amendment was a huge stride in this change.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
When you read the OP it should really nauseate you. There is a lot to be proud of in America, but the fact it took until 1920 for women to get the vote is absolutely disgusting.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-18-2015, 11:58 AM)xxlt Wrote: When you read the OP it should really nauseate you. There is a lot to be proud of in America, but the fact it took until 1920 for women to get the vote is absolutely disgusting.

Truly.  But america has long, proud history of trying to keep white men in charge.   Smirk

Well, as long as they come from the right places.
(08-18-2015, 11:58 AM)xxlt Wrote: When you read the OP it should really nauseate you. There is a lot to be proud of in America, but the fact it took until 1920 for women to get the vote is absolutely disgusting.

Because we were about 30 years after the first country to protect it under the law nationally? Id say disappointing, but not nauseating or disgusting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-18-2015, 12:19 PM)Benton Wrote: Because we were about 30 years after the first country to protect it under the law nationally? Id say disappointing, but not nauseating or disgusting.

And some areas did allow women to vote before that.  I think Oregon was one but i didn't go look it up again.
If we let women vote where does it stop? You going to let horses vote, too? ARE YOU GOING TO LET HORSES VOTE?!?!?!?!?!
(08-18-2015, 12:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: And some areas did allow women to vote before that.  I think Oregon was one but i didn't go look it up again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage_in_the_United_States

Pretty interesting to look at. It says Wyoming was the first, but I didn't know there had been the revocation of rights in all the states before then. I thought it was largely just left out of state constitutions.  
(08-18-2015, 12:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we let women vote where does it stop?  You going to let horses vote, too?  ARE YOU GOING TO LET HORSES VOTE?!?!?!?!?!

What about toasters man....Just think what a joke our elections will be when toasters are voting.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Up there with 12/7/41.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-18-2015, 01:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Up there with 12/7/41.

You're comparing the attack on Pearl Harbor with women getting the right to vote?

Wut?
(08-18-2015, 02:11 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You're comparing the attack on Pearl Harbor with women getting the right to vote?

Wut?

You think the vote was worse?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-18-2015, 02:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You think the vote was worse?  

I don't think it's worse or better.

I'm trying to figure out why you're trying to compare apples to oranges?
(08-18-2015, 02:24 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I don't think it's worse or better.

I'm trying to figure out why you're trying to compare apples to oranges?

I'm being funny. Which you have now ruined.:angry:

(08-18-2015, 02:11 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You're comparing the attack on Pearl Harbor with women getting the right to vote?

Wut?

(08-18-2015, 02:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You think the vote was worse?  

LOL   Cool

Well played.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(08-18-2015, 12:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: And some areas did allow women to vote before that.  I think Oregon was one but i didn't go look it up again.

Yea, states can pretty much let whoever they want vote. Many states did allow women to vote prior to 1920. Some used to let noncitizens vote as a way to attract immigrants to their sparsely populated states.

If Maryland wanted to, they could let 15 year olds vote for the President.

We now have more safeguards against restrictions on who can't vote. In the 1790s, it was basically just Protestant. white, male property owners. Ben Franklin said about this: if a man with an ass can vote but no longer can once his ass dies, who was the right to vote, the man or the ass?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-18-2015, 03:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm being funny.  Which you have now ruined.:angry:

Sorry to ruin your fun Sad

I'm not usually that slow on the up take. I'm picking up what you're putting down now.

And now I'm going to work.  Peace
(08-18-2015, 12:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we let women vote where does it stop?  You going to let horses vote, too?  ARE YOU GOING TO LET HORSES VOTE?!?!?!?!?!

(08-18-2015, 12:54 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: What about toasters man....Just think what a joke our elections will be when toasters are voting.

horses vote to let the toasters vote then the horse-toaster offspring go on wellfare. sickening.
(08-18-2015, 12:52 PM)Benton Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage_in_the_United_States

Pretty interesting to look at. It says Wyoming was the first, but I didn't know there had been the revocation of rights in all the states before then. I thought it was largely just left out of state constitutions.  

Yeah, it's actually interesting how the liberty movement for this country quickly turned around and stripped women of the right to vote.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

.....or non-citizens!?!?!?!?!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-18-2015, 07:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: .....or non-citizens!?!?!?!?!

Non-citizens had the right to vote in a number of states in the 1700-1800's. 

It certainly would not be unprecedented or unusual in our history.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]