Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This is bigger news than the play its getting
Bacteria have finally evolved resistance to even our last resort antibiotics. We knew this day was coming, and scientists finally discovered bacteria resistant to all antibiotics. The scary part is that they have a gene that is able to be passed among different strains of bacteria. This could eventually set us back to the pre-antibiotic era of medicine....meaning any cut that gets infected, or any type of bacterial infection could end up killing you.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/is-a-post-antibiotic-era-coming-153311509.html
Reply/Quote
And Beaker is still hilarious lol. I get a kick out of you bro.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: Bacteria have finally evolved resistance to even our last resort antibiotics. We knew this day was coming, and scientists finally discovered bacteria resistant to all antibiotics. The scary part is that they have a gene that is able to be passed among different strains of bacteria. This could eventually set us back to the pre-antibiotic era of medicine....meaning any cut that gets infected, or any type of bacterial infection could end up killing you.

Well beaker your the scientist can they make it stronger? 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:21 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Well beaker your the scientist can they make it stronger? 

Make what stronger?

Bacteria have finally reached the point where they are resistant to even our strongest antibiotics. I'm serious when I say this is a bigger deal than people think. Especially given the new method of transmission of resistance.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: Make what stronger?

Bacteria have finally reached the point where they are resistant to even our strongest antibiotics.

Then we just need to develop a stronger antibiotic.

Not saying that this is not a big problem, just saying that I doubt we are headed back to a pre-antibiotic era.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: Bacteria have finally evolved resistance to even our last resort antibiotics. We knew this day was coming, and scientists finally discovered bacteria resistant to all antibiotics. The scary part is that they have a gene that is able to be passed among different strains of bacteria. This could eventually set us back to the pre-antibiotic era of medicine....meaning any cut that gets infected, or any type of bacterial infection could end up killing you.

I'm sure those crack Cuban doctors will have a cure in no time
Reply/Quote

Bacteria have finally reached the point where they are resistant to even our strongest antibiotics. I'm serious when I say this is a bigger deal than people think. Especially given the new method of transmission of resistance.

He's right.
This has the potential to be "killed the dinosaurs" bad.
I think I've maybe taken anibiotics once.
Reply/Quote
This is pretty big. We have been warned this was coming for quite sometime.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:21 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Well beaker your the scientist can they make it stronger? 

Yes, through prayer. 
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 05:29 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Yes, through prayer. 
thank God I'm not a bacteria. I'd be freakin out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Now only the strong and least likely to get hurt survive
Reply/Quote
Most people don't care and can't be reasoned with.  They just want their z pack for their cold. 
Reply/Quote

Stronger antibiotics. 
(11-22-2015, 05:29 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Yes, through prayer. 

I'll just let the prayer warriors on Fb handle that Hilarious
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
The reality is it could be bad, but wouldn't put us back at pre antibiotic days. We understand the problem, and we can develop different, not just stronger, ways to eliminate them. Science is so far ahead of where it was pre antibiotic days that I am sure we will develop a new way to treat it.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: The reality is it could be bad, but wouldn't put us back at pre antibiotic days. We understand the problem, and we can develop different, not just stronger, ways to eliminate them. Science is so far ahead of where it was pre antibiotic days that I am sure we will develop a new way to treat it.

and eventally the virsus will adapt again....

Now is this the common virus going around or is it something they cooked up in a lab.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and eventally the virsus will adapt again....

Now is this the common virus going around or is it something they cooked up in a lab.

First off you need to understand it is not a virus, but  bacteria. Bacteria is around and always will be around long after we are gone. We will play this cat and mouse game forever trying to fight it, because like everything it will evolve to survive. This resistant strain has evolved to combat antibiotics, but we will develop a new treatment and over time it will evolve again.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: First off you need to understand it is not a virus, but  bacteria. Bacteria is around and always will be around long after we are gone. We will play this cat and mouse game forever trying to fight it, because like everything it will evolve to survive. This resistant strain has evolved to combat antibiotics, but we will develop a new treatment and over time it will evolve again.

The strain has not only evolved resistance, but is passing that gene to other strains of bacteria. That's what makes it so worrysome. It has the potential to spread total bacterial resistance to all antibiotics very quickly.....more quickly than we can develop new methods to combat it. I suspect we may have to take an entirely new approach to the problem, maybe gene therapy or something similar.
Reply/Quote

It is, indeed.

We've built a society around antibiotics and abused them. This day has come about sooner than it had to.

Humanity will survive (probably). But things will change.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
How do these bacteria pass genetic traits to another bacteria?

Bacteria multiply by splitting, not by breeding with other bacteria.
Reply/Quote
We need to be more like tardigrades.

http://gizmodo.com/indestructible-water-bears-have-a-genome-that-is-seriou-1744508070?utm_expid=66866090-67.e9PWeE2DSnKObFD7vNEoqg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2F%3Fsidebar_promotions_icons%3Dtestingoff
Reply/Quote