Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
This is nothing compared to 2011
You are right Fred, this is nothing compared to 2011...

This time around we let a weakness get worse and kept the coaches around that were the reasons for our weakness.

We lost Whitworth, Zeitler and Burkhead. All 3 were arguably the best at their positions last year and we kept PA who
was our weakest coach that started a 1st round pick who was not ready to the detriment of our season.

Atleast in 2011, we replaced Bratkowski, Palmer and Chad with talented replacements.

We would of done the right thing if we replaced Marv and PA and then began to build off of good players like Whit, Z
and Rex. Instead, this year, so far we are building off of our weaknesses in Marv, Og, Bodine, PA and Zampese.
Reply/Quote
People were complaining about our losses last off-season and all that happened as a result is that we were much worse and we were lucky to win half as many games as the year before.

R-E-L-A-X
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did not think so. Must be from a different part of Franklin Ohio than me. Maybe the addition of the Tennessee influence and KY in me is the difference. Do not know you even though we are almost same age and from same small town, so who knows. But guessing deep down you will pull for steelers some now with addition of Hunter.

Still I have not given up and by seasons end will probably be excited about the following season and the future if draft goes well.

But knowing the Browns may get Myles and Deshaun Watson and still have two second round picks to use means we had better step up our game.

Even though many jumped ship in 2011 I for one was excited for it. Even joined a message board for first time in my life.

Owens was sabotaging Carson by seasons end alligator arming catches and Chad was never a team player and just a me guy. Great WR but cared little about winning over his own stats.

Proof is in his locker room fight at halftime when the Bengals were leading the steelers in playoffs but he did not think they were throwing to him enough. Sometimes stars have to be decoys to help the team. Loved him as a WR though but always thought he held us back.

Was a huge Carson fan at the beginning but after he declined surgery and quit throwing more than 25 yards down field his statue like pocket presence made him an easy target. Then he just outright quit and showed his true colors.

Always said our defense was solid but all the 3 and outs winded them by 4th quarter. Knew Zimmer was good.

Shake and Nately can testify to me happy that Chad and Carson left. Argued many of times with both.

Loved replacing Carson with Andy, and Chad with AJ even though most jumped off bridges.

Then replacing Brat with one of my all-time favorite Cards Jay Gruden and I was stoked about the 2011 season.

So I do not think 2011 was worse in my book. Mostly just mad because also always said the window was closing recently and we had to go for it the last few years and ownership decided to play for the future and slam window shut without any true effort at SB.

Oh well, one thing I love about sports is watching teams being built and players grow and will get to see this next few years. But just scared it will be dismantled again when it nears pinnacle.

Tell you what Fred since you will not back your statement. We can flip the bet and I will take the side of Bengals making playoffs against you and only you, and you can bet they will not on a sig bet if you do not like first offer.
Everyone knows I am a Homer at heart.

Others can design sig for loser. It is just a sig.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Same here. I want to see the young guys play. The roster needs to turn over from time to time. Just wish the same was tru with the HC.

and OL coach

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:52 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Why would anyone with class like Dalton, AJ, Geno, Carlos or Eifert voluntarily re-up with this rudderless floundering  ship.

Because you are wrong about the team.

The fact that all these high class excellent players re-sign with the Bengals proves my point.

All the things you claim are inexplicable are actually very explicable.  Your opinions are not facts.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you are wrong about the team.

The fact that all these high class excellent players re-sign with the Bengals proves my point.

All the things you claim are inexplicable are actually very explicable.  Your opinions are not facts.

I hope, i mean, i wish you were right Fred...
Reply/Quote
The difference between 2011 and 2017 can be summed up in two words: Mike Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Atleast in 2011, we replaced Bratkowski, Palmer and Chad with talented replacements.

Yeah, too bad we don't get to draft anyone this year.

Oh, wait, nevermind.....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 07:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The difference between 2011 and 2017 can be summed up in two words:  Mike Zimmer.

Not sure what your point is.

In 2010 Zimmers defense ranked 24th in points allowed.  Last year Guenthers unit ranked 8th.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, I'm excited to see what we have. I prefer not to come into it with a negative outlook.

Agreed. I'm willing to wait for my shitty attitude to develop naturally, through the course of boneheaded mistakes, missed opportunities, yet another tie game, and the cumulative, soul-crushing effect of loss after loss after loss.  Plenty of time for that later.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This offseason has been a great success so far compared to where we were at the same time in 2011.

-coming off a 4 win season

-lost our franchise QB (Palmer)

-lost our elite CB (Joseph)

-lost our top 2 WRs (TO, Ocho)

-lost the heart of the locker room (Reggie Kelly)

-lost the brains of the defense (Dhani Jones)

-we were depending on a former first round pick to start at OT even though he had looked like crap his first two years in the league (Andre Smith)

Things were much then than they are now.

But then slowly the plan fell into place.  The Bengals drafted Andy and AJ.  They rebuilt their defense with smart bargain signings of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and Nate Clements.  They even showed they could think outside the box by finding an OC in the arena league (Gruden) and a WR in the CFL (Hawkins).

The front office may a nice string of real smart moves and a team that many predicted would be the absolute worst in the league made the playoffs.  In fact the last two times the Bengals have had a losing season they have bounced back to make the playoffs.

At the end of the 2010 season the Bengals were a team in disarray, had only been to the playoffs twice in 19 years and were considered just a plain bad team all around with the Ocho & Owens' weekly sideshow being the biggest camera draw.

That team really wasn't falling from more than a couple of rungs up from the absolute bottom.

Now we are routinely saying goodbye to proven young talent in favor of even younger, unproven, but inexpensive draft picks. Instead of falling from two steps from the bottom we're falling from the upper third of the ladder and it's a bigger fall.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:48 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Agreed. I'm willing to wait for my shitty attitude to develop naturally, through the course of boneheaded mistakes, missed opportunities, yet another tie game, and the cumulative, soul-crushing effect of loss after loss after loss.  Plenty of time for that later.

That's the spirit. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote