Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(03-14-2023, 11:48 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Seriously.

How do we lose TWO starting safeties in day one, especially knowing that we're out of the market for one of them?

"We want to go younger" is just a euphemism for "we want to be cheap skates". Vonn Bell and Bates is what got us to the SB two years ago, LITERALLY. Look at that overtime interception.

If the Bengals decide to pay for one of the remaining good ones, it's STILL a downgrade. But I get a feeling that they're just fine with Tycen Anderson, which will be a disaster against the Bills and the Cheifs.

The Bengals can't afford to have its episodes of buttcheek offense anymore. The Defense won't be top 10 next season.

This feels a like more like a decline. The Bills and Cheifs addressed core issues day one. Bengals objectively are worse off.

When did the FA period end???? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:01 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: That's what really kills me about this.

They're not getting Burrow, Chase, AND Higgins on the books. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Sooner or later, Burrow is going to have to elevate the talent he has. Jamar Chase was enough. Hell, I think Tee Higgins was enough before drafting chase.

We have a Joe Burrow but we're coddeling him like Andy Dalton in every position except the one that he can't elevate: The O Line.

Didn't they get Carson, Chad, & TJ on the books?

STFU already.
Reply/Quote
I’m not gonna do what everyone thinks I’m gonna do and FLIP OUT MAN!
Reply/Quote

How do we lose TWO starting safeties in day one, especially knowing that we're out of the market for one of them?

"We want to go younger" is just a euphemism for "we want to be cheap skates". Vonn Bell and Bates is what got us to the SB two years ago, LITERALLY. Look at that overtime interception.

If the Bengals decide to pay for one of the remaining good ones, it's STILL a downgrade. But I get a feeling that they're just fine with Tycen Anderson, which will be a disaster against the Bills and the Cheifs.

The Bengals can't afford to have its episodes of buttcheek offense anymore. The Defense won't be top 10 next season.

This feels a like more like a decline. The Bills and Cheifs addressed core issues day one. Bengals objectively are worse off.

(03-14-2023, 12:01 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: That's what really kills me about this.

They're not getting Burrow, Chase, AND Higgins on the books. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Sooner or later, Burrow is going to have to elevate the talent he has. Jamar Chase was enough. Hell, I think Tee Higgins was enough before drafting chase.

We have a Joe Burrow but we're coddeling him like Andy Dalton in every position except the one that he can't elevate: The O Line.

Geeez, tell us all you just started to watch the Bengals last year.....

These comments are perfect for Bengals Facebook... not even Twitter.

Reply/Quote
Everyone knew Bates was gone and at $16million average they can’t afford him. That’s a contract that bad teams can afford because they do not have the talent on their current roster that they have to pay.

Bell was a surprise but Carolina (another not so good team) gave him 13million guaranteed for a guy who’s approaching 30.
Bengals instead gave 7 million guaranteed to a 26 year old linebacker. Makes sense when you think about it.
This is the cost of being good - bad teams usually have $ to spend and will try to purge the good teams. The test is how well the Bengals back fill for the good players they lose while paying the superstars.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:36 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’m not gonna do what everyone thinks I’m gonna do and FLIP OUT MAN!

[Image: giphy.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:31 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: When did the FA period end???? 

Hell, it hasn't even started.. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Didn't they get Carson, Chad, & TJ on the books?

STFU already.

And not a playoff victory to show for it. Hell only 1 playoff appearance. 1 winning season. But neither had Tee’s agent which is also the problem.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I feel like if we kept Bates and Bell that people would be saying it would cost us Higgins...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: And not a playoff victory to show for it. Hell only 1 playoff appearance. 1 winning season. But neither had Tee’s agent which is also the problem.

My point was that the Bengals have found ways to pay the QB & 2 top tier receivers, no problem. In the era past the one I mentioned, Marvin Jones left Cincy to try and be the man, not really for more money. Beyond that, I don't see the dots connecting on the olderer group's performance and this one's involving Tee. There are too many variables between the groups for this to be any kind of parallel. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post?

Tee's agent will respect Tee's wishes. I have zero doubt on that. However, I'm all about drafting skill guys and signing proven O & D linemen. I am all about signing a vet safety. Skill positions are PRICEY and, quite frankly, fairly easy to find in the draft for cheap.

If the Bengals ended up with a top 10 O line & top 10 Defense, but only had Burrow, Chase, and some top draft picks at skill spots mixed in w vets I would roll with that into the playoffs every year with confidence.
Reply/Quote

Eh, none of this is even final yet with the guys we supposedly lost. But there is always a knee jerk reaction every FA around here.

No surprise. Dax Hill could be better than both Bell and Bates and it isn't like they played great last year. Bell had some head scratching
plays and Bates played soft half the year. We can still add a vet and we have Michael Thomas as a leader for Tycen to help him come 
along if that is the worst case scenario, which I agree, would be dire. But still, I will wait and see how everything shakes out even after
the draft before I call all this the worst. 

We all predicted this would be the most inactive we would of been in FA, but we needed to bring back our own if this was the case.

Now we are forced to go out and get a vet Safety which sucks, but Lou can work with what we get and we can still be a top 10 D.
Reply/Quote
I'm beginning to think that maybe...just maybe the Bengals tend to not sign free agents on the 1st day of free agency...

Haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, none of this is even final yet with the guys we supposedly lost. But there is always a knee jerk reaction every FA around here.

No surprise. Dax Hill could be better than both Bell and Bates and it isn't like they played great last year. Bell had some head scratching
plays and Bates played soft half the year. We can still add a vet and we have Michael Thomas as a leader for Tycen to help him come 
along if that is the worst case scenario, which I agree, would be dire. But still, I will wait and see how everything shakes out even after
the draft before I call all this the worst. 

We all predicted this would be the most inactive we would of been in FA, but we needed to bring back our own if this was the case.

Now we are forced to go out and get a vet Safety which sucks, but Lou can work with what we get and we can still be a top 10 D.

You are most likely trying to show the light to someone that doesn't want to see it.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like if we kept Bates and Bell that people would be saying it would cost us Higgins...

We're not getting Higgins anyway.

Which is fine, it'd be stupid to to pay him his worth when we already have a franchise qb and WR without him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:28 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: We're not getting Higgins anyway.

Which is fine, it'd be stupid to to pay him his worth when we already have a franchise qb and WR without him.

IF Higgins leaves, will you start a thread talking about how terrible it is that we didn't keep him?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Free agency isn't over and there are still unsigned and talented players.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2023-who-are-the-best-players-available

More decent Safeties out there than I realized.  I wouldn't mind seeing any of these 4 signed to a 3 year deal.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
John Johnson
Julian Love
Taylor Rapp - maybe just a one-year prove it deal

At CB

James Bradberry
Byron Murphy

The Tackle pool is already picked through, Orlando Brown and Kaleb McGary look to be the best available.  But who knows how much they will command, as it's definitely a sellers market.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: People are funny. Do you guys remember what date we signed Bell on a few years back? It was a week into FA. Awuzie and Hilton were late on day 2 of the tampering period. Free agency isn't over in 24 hours, people need to relax.

This FA market is actually moving a little slower than normal. If you actually go look at who is still sitting out there it's a lot of quality vets who could make a huge impact on this team. We are going to add bets who want to make a run at a SB on a contender, those deals don't happen in the first day or two.

Don't you dare come in here with facts and common sense. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like if we kept Bates and Bell that people would be saying it would cost us Higgins...

Of course they would, lol.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: More decent Safeties out there than I realized.  I wouldn't mind seeing any of these 4 signed to a 3 year deal.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
John Johnson
Julian Love

At CB

James Bradberry
Byron Murphy

The Tackle pool is already picked through, Orlando Brown and Kaleb McGary look to be the best available.  But who knows how much they will command, as it's definitely a sellers market.

I don't get the sense they want a Tackle. They may draft one with Jonah a free agent though.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: More decent Safeties out there than I realized.  I wouldn't mind seeing any of these 4 signed to a 3 year deal.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
John Johnson
Julian Love

At CB

James Bradberry
Byron Murphy

....and the safety market is slower than most right now.

Reply/Quote