Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(03-17-2023, 11:21 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: KC didn't have a LT, nor did Chicago.

KC offered him last July to be the left tackle.  He turned it down because he wanted more money, not sure but he turned down their offer.  Chicago has a left tackle, Braxton Jones and according to Jim Miller, he is going to be their left tackle going forward.  They wanted OBJ to be the right tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 11:22 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: You Raaaang?

I am right here and active. You are the one that seemingly went into witness protection after your "the sky is falling" thread.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 09:14 AM)Housh Wrote: Lol at the fans of other teams

Now that we got Brown he’s trash and Mahommes made him look good

Man when you start making playoffs consistently other fans start HATING YOU

Why do you care what other fans think?

That's like worrying about what someone who loves Wendy's thinks of the food you're getting at Burger King.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 09:14 AM)Housh Wrote: Lol at the fans of other teams

Now that we got Brown he’s trash and Mahommes made him look good

Man when you start making playoffs consistently other fans start HATING YOU

It's hard to say how things end up. I think he could give up more sacks here because of Burrow's style of play, but who knows?

I think OT is a tough position. Even the best guys give up pressures. And the worst guys, it's not like they give up 5 sacks a game.

So somethings I think the worst guys get a little overrated and the great guys get underrated.

And then sometimes a defense just relentlessly attacks 1 player. So the other 4 look ok, but it's because they're not focal points.
Reply/Quote
Totally off topic but this thread reminds me of the song "The worst day since yesterday". Which, yeah, that is accurate as yesterday was pretty darn good. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSud7vAH_0

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:35 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It’s everywhere too. Like they are all saying the same thing, then saying Jawaan Taylor is just like Brown when he simply isn’t. It’s really comical

Love it. Let the hive minds do their thing lol
Reply/Quote
Well, this has been entertaining. How did I miss this thread? Just read through the whole progression of it….all pages…beginning to end.

Many times, I realize how little I know about the NFL and that a bunch here are quite knowledgeable. Not this thread. But, ya know, other people in other threads. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 01:37 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Well, this has been entertaining.  How did I miss this thread?  Just read through the whole progression of it….all pages…beginning to end.

Many times, I realize how little I know about the NFL and that a bunch here are quite knowledgeable.  Not this thread.  But, ya know, other people in other threads.  Wink

I need to bump the crow thread again, that also is a good one. The opposite of this one... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 12:15 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Things that make me go Hmmmm:

I've heard a lot of praise for the corners, but why hasn't there been any safety talk? We'll need our pash rush to improve and a lot of our corners to live up to the
hype at this rate.

But I suppose that no news could be construed as good news.

Worse case scenario, we'll need the offense to be at its full potential with an improved O line.

Has it even been a week?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 01:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Has it even been a week?

Just about. And in that short time we've heard good things from DJ Turner and DJ Ivy. Not a peep from Scott, Hill, or Battle. Battle is kind of shocking because there was some good news from him during OTAs.
Reply/Quote
Also, what the hell happened to my post from earlier today?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:48 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Seriously.

How do we lose TWO starting safeties in day one, especially knowing that we're out of the market for one of them?

"We want to go younger" is just a euphemism for "we want to be cheap skates". Vonn Bell and Bates is what got us to the SB two years ago, LITERALLY. Look at that overtime interception.

If the Bengals decide to pay for one of the remaining good ones, it's STILL a downgrade. But I get a feeling that they're just fine with Tycen Anderson, which will be a disaster against the Bills and the Cheifs.

The Bengals can't afford to have its episodes of buttcheek offense anymore. The Defense won't be top 10 next season.

This feels a like more like a decline. The Bills and Cheifs addressed core issues day one. Bengals objectively are worse off.

Most ratings  give bengals a higher ranking than bills an chiefs. For example sporting news ranked bengals 7th  Chiefs 23rd and Bills 29th. I dont agree we were worse, hell we got Brown from Chiefs.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-grades-2023-best-worst-offseason/sqtlomopd7jepkyakr26lhew
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 04:25 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Just about. And in that short time we've heard good things from DJ Turner and DJ Ivy. Not a peep from Scott, Hill, or Battle. Battle is kind of shocking because there was some good news from him during OTAs.

Battle was heard from during OTA's because Scott was dealing with an injury.

Scott is healthy and is working with the 1's.  Battle is working with the 2's
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 04:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most ratings  give bengals a higher ranking than bills an chiefs. For example sporting news ranked bengals 7th  Chiefs 23rd and Bills 29th. I dont agree we were worse, hell we got Brown from Chiefs.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-grades-2023-best-worst-offseason/sqtlomopd7jepkyakr26lhew

We're objectively worse defensively until the young replacments show that they're adequete.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 04:25 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Just about. And in that short time we've heard good things from DJ Turner and DJ Ivy. Not a peep from Scott, Hill, or Battle. Battle is kind of shocking because there was some good news from him during OTAs.

Just heard from Pally in the update thread that Nick Scott has been a calming influence at the starting Safety position next to Dax Hill
and that both have been playing fine. Lou specifically said the mental part of the game is coming around quickly with the Dax/Scott 
combination. I am sure Battle is stilly impressing, but he is with the 2's. Both Dax and Battle are young and we knew they would take 
some time but this is encouraging with Nick Scott being that experienced vet we needed.

It isn't like Bates and Bell were the best Safety duo in the league last year. They weren't near as good as the year before in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 05:08 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: We're objectively worse defensively until the young replacments show that they're adequete.

There is no way the Bengals are worse on D than last year. NO WAY.

- Deeper D line

- MUCH deeper 2ndary (CB room is LOADED & Juan Drago Turner is looking like a STUD)

- Best CB returns healthy

- CTB more experienced

- Deeper at Safety

Where is this defense weak? Safety? They have a first round pick & a strong, sought after vet back there starting & a 2nd rounder backing them up along with Anderson who's no slouch.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 05:08 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: We're objectively worse defensively until the young replacments show that they're adequete.

(08-02-2023, 09:44 PM)PDub80 Wrote: There is no way the Bengals are worse on D than last year. NO WAY.

- Deeper D line

- MUCH deeper 2ndary (CB room is LOADED & Juan Drago Turner is looking like a STUD)

- Best CB returns healthy

- CTB more experienced

- Deeper at Safety

Where is this defense weak? Safety? They have a first round pick & a strong, sought after vet back there starting & a 2nd rounder backing them up along with Anderson who's no slouch.

It’s naive to think initially that Dax/Scott are as good as Bates/Bell. They don’t have the cohesiveness or familiarity. Dax Hill is more athletic. But you have to look at the big picture. They couldn’t afford those guys. I do think we are getting better at corner. So it cushions that some. All these coaches talk about every team is a new team every year. But trying to perpetrate because of the safety spot the defense won’t be as good is a fail. It doesn’t take in consideration where we are better. We are faster and better at corner, better on the edge, and depth considerably better everywhere on defense. Everybody thinks KC’s _____ don’t stink. They are vulnerable at LT. Donovan Smith had 12 penalties and sacks last year. He had a great year the previous year. May work out but that’s not a spot you screw with. Everybody’s roster isn’t without warts. It’s how many warts and how big they are.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 09:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s naive to think initially that Dax/Scott are as good as Bates/Bell. They don’t have the cohesiveness or familiarity. Dax Hill is more athletic. But you have to look at the big picture. They couldn’t afford those guys. I do think we are getting better at corner. So it cushions that some. All these coaches talk about every team is a new team every year. But trying to perpetrate because of the safety spot the defense won’t be as good is a fail. It doesn’t take in consideration where we are better. We are faster and better at corner, better on the edge, and depth considerably better everywhere on defense. Everybody thinks KC’s _____ don’t stink. They are vulnerable at LT. Donovan Smith had 12 penalties and sacks last year. He had a great year the previous year. May work out but that’s not a spot you screw with. Everybody’s roster isn’t without warts. It’s how many warts and how big they are.

Exactly that, no way they were going to pay for Bates, and as much as I liked Bell, he got way overpaid by Carolina (good on him btw). Safety is one of the easier positions to replace so they made a good decision to let them walk. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 09:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s naive to think initially that Dax/Scott are as good as Bates/Bell. They don’t have the cohesiveness or familiarity. Dax Hill is more athletic. But you have to look at the big picture. They couldn’t afford those guys. I do think we are getting better at corner. So it cushions that some. All these coaches talk about every team is a new team every year. But trying to perpetrate because of the safety spot the defense won’t be as good is a fail. It doesn’t take in consideration where we are better. We are faster and better at corner, better on the edge, and depth considerably better everywhere on defense. Everybody thinks KC’s _____ don’t stink. They are vulnerable at LT. Donovan Smith had 12 penalties and sacks last year. He had a great year the previous year. May work out but that’s not a spot you screw with. Everybody’s roster isn’t without warts. It’s how many warts and how big they are.

I don't think they are better at stsrting Safety, but I think the Bengals depth is better there than last year.

I also see Safety as probably the least important position on an NFL defense. So, if the Bengals are going to start the season worse off at a position, starting S would be the poison pill I would choose.

S is furthest from the line of scrimmage and more of an assisting/helping position. Safeties aren't typically left on an island. They come up and assist the guys on the island.

But the Bengals still have good players there after losing what they lost, which is exciting.

I agree on KC not being as good. As Burrow said... They get to decide that on the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 04:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think they are better at stsrting Safety, but I think the Bengals depth is better there than last year.

I also see Safety as probably the least important position on an NFL defense. So, if the Bengals are going to start the season worse off at a position, starting S would be the poison pill I would choose.

S is furthest from the line of scrimmage and more of an assisting/helping position. Safeties aren't typically left on an island. They come up and assist the guys on the island.

But the Bengals still have good players there after losing what they lost, which is exciting.

I agree on KC not being as good. As Burrow said... They get to decide that on the field.

Well said on both of your last 2 posts. If we are getting beat deep down the middle and it is the Safeties fault, like say how Bates got 
beat in the AFCC it could be a problem. But from what Lou has been saying, the communication has been good at Safety in TC so far
with Scott and Dax. As long as they aren't getting beat deep we should be all good. I like our tackling overall better at Safety this year
with Dax there instead of Bates. I like our speed with Nick Scott over Bell and like you said, the depth is better overall.

Tycen Anderson played well last preseason and Jordan Battle is smart and instinctual even as a rookie already.
Reply/Quote