Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This place is seriously depressing
(11-29-2015, 08:50 PM)thegimp Wrote: I like to come here and read some different perspectives.  The debate is fun and some (emphasis on some) of the people here have some interesting insight into the Bengals.  I cannot believe how negative and cynical the tone is though.  I was following the gameday thread today (which I very rarely do) and people were complaining that the bengals only had a 17-7 lead at the half?!?!?  I think many of you need to realize that you can't have a $20 million/year player at each position.  In fact, it is my belief that one of those types of contracts can seriously hamstring the future of a franchise in most instances.  My point is that this team is 9-2 and has very good depth and quite a few superstar caliber players.  Enjoy it!  I always want my teams to improve but the critical nature of this board is over the top...

Personally, I see more caution than depression. That caution will gradually disappear as the team continues to accomplish things (winning division, reaching playoffs, getting a first round bye, winning first playoff game in decades, etc.).

People are different. Some get excited early. Some don't get excited until after the team has achieved something. Most of us lay somewhere on the spectrum in between: a little optimism, a little caution. Nothing wrong with that.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 10:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's going to happen.  Don't you want to enjoy the ride to the playoffs?  

To a point, yeah.  But, I've been on that ride and want a playoff win.  I was a fan when we went to our two Super Bowls and like many other fans, have been waiting to get back there.  This making it to the playoffs and laying an egg doesn't cut it for me.  Sure, I think we are having a great season and think we can go all the way, but I still see areas we can improve and would like to see that.

My main thing is I hate someone telling me how to be a fan.  Not saying you are, just there do seem to be some around here that like to do that.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, to a point.  The playoff drought has been a serious disappointment.  However, if there ever was a Bengal team to go all-in on, in the past 25 years, this is the one.

Oh....I agree this team can do it.  But, we haven't been able to win a playoff game as long as Marvin has been here, so I am just tempering my excitement until we actually win one.  I have said in a couple other threads that I do think this team is special and this could be the year, but the Texans and Cardinals games brought a little reality back into my hopes.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 07:14 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Personally, I see more caution than depression. That caution will gradually disappear as the team continues to accomplish things (winning division, reaching playoffs, getting a first round bye, winning first playoff game in decades, etc.).

People are different. Some get excited early. Some don't get excited until after the team has achieved something. Most of us lay somewhere on the spectrum in between: a little optimism, a little caution. Nothing wrong with that.

Great post Zona!!!!  This is exactly how I feel and think everyone can fall on that spectrum wherever they want and should be able to without getting grief from others.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 07:14 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Personally, I see more caution than depression. That caution will gradually disappear as the team continues to accomplish things (winning division, reaching playoffs, getting a first round bye, winning first playoff game in decades, etc.).

Good Post
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 07:42 PM)PApinhead Wrote: To a point, yeah.  But, I've been on that ride and want a playoff win.  I was a fan when we went to our two Super Bowls and like many other fans, have been waiting to get back there.  This making it to the playoffs and laying an egg doesn't cut it for me.  Sure, I think we are having a great season and think we can go all the way, but I still see areas we can improve and would like to see that.

My main thing is I hate someone telling me how to be a fan.  Not saying you are, just there do seem to be some around here that like to do that.

I will never tell someone how to be a fan, nor will I tell someone how to spend their money(tickets, etc.) but I heard Mo Egger say earlier in the season how he felt throughout the Reds magical season of 1990.  He didn't worry about them getting beat in the playoffs.  He didn't care about their youth, or lack of recent success...he just enjoyed the ride.

I did as well.  It was one of  the most memorable seasons of any sport in my life.  It was my junior year in college and it was an incredible ride.  

My dream is the Bengals finish the season how they started it, and like the 1990 Reds, shock the world.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 06:36 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Football is an emotional game to watch. You can't take the GD thread too serious.

These explanations make way too much sense. We just have a bunch of haters in the GD threads. :snark:
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 09:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will never tell someone how to be a fan, nor will I tell someone how to spend their money(tickets, etc.) but I heard Mo Egger say earlier in the season how he felt throughout the Reds magical season of 1990.  He didn't worry about them getting beat in the playoffs.  He didn't care about their youth, or lack of recent success...he just enjoyed the ride.

I did as well.  It was one of  the most memorable seasons of any sport in my life.  It was my junior year in college and it was an incredible ride.  

My dream is the Bengals finish the season how they started it, and like the 1990 Reds, shock the world.  

I'm trying to just enjoy the ride, but it is hard for me.  Probably doesn't help that I'm a Pirates fan too.  lol

Reply/Quote
Some on here expect us to win 5 Super Bowls in a row without allowing any points and scoring on every drive during those 5 seasons
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 12:03 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: Some on here expect us to win 5 Super Bowls in a row without allowing any points and scoring on every drive during those 5 seasons

Yes because it's so easy on Madden... They think it's equally as simple in RL.

Would love to make a poll on what year you started being a fan. I think it would tell us all we needed know about some of these posts.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 12:13 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes because it's so easy on Madden... They think it's equally as simple in RL.  

Would love to make a poll on what year you started being a fan.    I think it would tell us all we needed know about some of these posts.

I became a fan in '93. I've seen all the lean years and 0 playoff wins. I respect almost all takes whether they're deemed positive or negative because I realize that there's more than one way to be a fan.

While I may not agree with many posters here on a variety of subjects, I don't question anyone's fanhood or make condescending remarks about Madden. I think 90% of the posters here know this team quite well. We just all have different takes. Some more negative than others, but that comes with the territory when you're riding a 25 year streak without a playoff win and struggling in prime-time.

As much as I dislike Rodney Harrison and so many in the media who doubt this team, they all do so with good reason. Same with the more jaded members of these boards. Hopefully this team breaks the streak. When that happens, I think plenty of the doubt will be erased. Maybe then we'll see fewer people telling others how to post. Then again, probably not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 10:29 PM)PApinhead Wrote: I'm trying to just enjoy the ride, but it is hard for me.  Probably doesn't help that I'm a Pirates fan too.  lol

Interesting point.  Did you not enjoy their recent success, although you had a pretty good degree of certainty that it wouldn't carry them all the way?

The funny thing is, I think the Bengals have a VERY good chance of winning it all.  I think only New England has a better shot and they dodged a bullet with nearly losing Gronk yesterday.

It is that close.  Heck, I think the Bengals will give them all they can handle if they meet in the AFC Championship.

Imagine the Bengals with the 600 lb gorilla of a playoff win off their back, playing for a shot to go to the Super Bowl?  
Reply/Quote
I was kinda hoping someone would tell me how to post and how to be a fan and that since I don't buy "gear" to pay for the privilege of giving the Brown family free advertising I must be a horrible fan and have no business even expressing an opinion about the Bengals. I know ..I should be ashamed of myself and hang my head in shame, but it's like this ..I like Folgers Black Silk coffee. I'm not asking anyone else if they like it or if it's grown organically or made by the most sustainable farming methods in the world. I like it. It wakes me up in the morning and comes in a pretty red plastic container. The Bengals give me something to look forward to on Sunday, sometimes Monday and occasionally Thursday. If they win I'm happy and if they lose I probably won't get on the rooftop with an assault rifle or beat my wife. My outrage reaches the level of just turning off the TV and finding something else to do and my delight when they win reaches the level of getting frisky with the old woman.
I like our team. I like the players and the coaches and I've even got a bit of a soft spot for Mikey just because he's old now.
I don't have a great memory for stats and players names and I don't spend hours and hours digesting every play of every game. I don't even own a Bengals jersey or hat or even a pair of Bengals socks. I don't even own an orange tshirt although I do have several black shirts. I've been predicting us to win it all every year since I was a kid in the 60's and 70's.
What I do occasionally is to write meaningless posts that ramble on just because I can and if you've read this far without stabbing yourself in the eye I applaud you. You could be a great American. I'm not holding you to it so if you never aspire to greatness that's ok too. Enjoy the team win, lose or draw.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Joelist is defiantly the emotional barometer of the GD thread every Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 08:50 PM)thegimp Wrote: I like to come here and read some different perspectives.  The debate is fun and some (emphasis on some) of the people here have some interesting insight into the Bengals.  I cannot believe how negative and cynical the tone is though.  I was following the gameday thread today (which I very rarely do) and people were complaining that the bengals only had a 17-7 lead at the half?!?!?  I think many of you need to realize that you can't have a $20 million/year player at each position.  In fact, it is my belief that one of those types of contracts can seriously hamstring the future of a franchise in most instances.  My point is that this team is 9-2 and has very good depth and quite a few superstar caliber players.  Enjoy it!  I always want my teams to improve but the critical nature of this board is over the top...

There are some people who only show up when we're losing or when they think they can spread some negativity.  They are actually sorry when we win.  They aren't really fans.  You just have to get used to ignoring them.  Pop them some negative rep if it makes you feel better.  I do that sometimes.
Reply/Quote
BTW, for those you who are not already depressed, let me share this:

Of the five teams currently at 6 and 5 in the AFC (PIT, NYJ, IND, HOU and KC), four of the five have knocked us out of our first playoff game during the past decade.

Pleasant dreams.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 09:54 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: BTW, for those you who are not already depressed, let me share this:

Of the five teams currently at 6 and 5 in the AFC (PIT, NYJ, IND, HOU and KC), four of the five have knocked us out of our first playoff game during the past decade.

Pleasant dreams.

That's good news.  We'll get a chance to prove we're not the same team when we beat them.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 09:54 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: BTW, for those you who are not already depressed, let me share this:

Pleasant dreams.

I would not let the past depress me.  That was then, this is now.  And this Bengals team can beat any team in the league.  The possibility of a home game with a bye (#1 or #2 seed) is very real.  Whether they get that or not, there is no way they aren't winning the division.  

I am so excited from what I have seen from this team.  Actually, the loss to AZ gave me even more promise that this team is different.  They fought back and had a chance to win it...short week, on the road, with a couple rookies in the secondary.  (Cue the moronic quotes about winning is all that matters and this isn't "everyone gets a trophy").  They absolutely manhandled Todd Gurley....9 carries for 19 yards.  

The whole thing for me boils down to health.  They have been very fortunate thus far.  If they are able to keep their starters healthy, I honestly don't see any team beating them.  The fear of a playoff letdown will not ruin what I see as the greatest Bengals team of all time.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 02:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting point.  Did you not enjoy their recent success, although you had a pretty good degree of certainty that it wouldn't carry them all the way?

The funny thing is, I think the Bengals have a VERY good chance of winning it all.  I think only New England has a better shot and they dodged a bullet with nearly losing Gronk yesterday.

It is that close.  Heck, I think the Bengals will give them all they can handle if they meet in the AFC Championship.

Imagine the Bengals with the 600 lb gorilla of a playoff win off their back, playing for a shot to go to the Super Bowl?  

Again, to a certain extent, yes I did enjoy it, but it was tempered by wanting to see them win in the playoffs.

I think the players are certainly capable of winning it all, but am not sold on Marvin Lewis.  For me he still hasn't shown enough that he can prepare his team for big games.  A team that actually looks ready to play a playoff game and goes out and wins it will go a long way towards changing my attitude.

I think you are right that if they get that first playoff win, they could be unstoppable.  I'm really hoping we get to see that.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 11:02 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That's good news.  We'll get a chance to prove we're not the same team when we beat them.

(12-01-2015, 12:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would not let the past depress me.  That was then, this is now.

Exactly.

The "Prime Time Choke" narrative has been placed upon this team by the media and other teams' fans. It is meaningless. They have not lost the past playoff games because they have 'crumbled under pressure'. They lost individual games for the same reasons that teams lose games in this league, because they have been out-coached or out-played. And this year's team has shown it can out-coach and out-play most teams in the league. That should be reason for optimism.
Reply/Quote