Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season...
(01-14-2016, 02:36 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: We were without our starting QB, got screwed by the refs, and would have won the game if not for Hill's fumble, but it's Marvin's fault we were one and done?  I'm sorry but that's bullshit.

Where is the praise for Marvin for inspiring his team to come from 15 points down in the 4th quarter with a backup QB?  I haven't seen one person claim that.  If we had won that game I guarantee no one would be talking about how Marvin was responsible for it.  A lot of people here really have a double standard for success and failure.  The time to kick Marvin out was after 2010, not now.

Praise for a comeback only comes if you win. It doesn't come if you only score 16 on the 30th ranked pass defense.

It's Marvin's fault to the degree that it'll always be a 0-7 coach's fault. Four different QBs have played under Marvin in the postseason and all of them have performed pretty much the same. If you go from 0-6 to 0-7, nobody is going to praise you for trying harder than you did previously. You're still a turd in that situation.

"Congrats, you're the sole heir for the title of worst coach in NFL postseason history. But you tried hard. Hurray, go you!"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Letdown simple definition on Merriam-Webster: "something that is not as good as it was expected to be"

Not sure how it could be a letdown when Marvin Lewis was and is still the HC. I never expected him to be good. He's the worst postseason coach in NFL history. Jim Mora is 0-6, but he had to do it on two different teams because nobody else would settle for that shit. No other coach is even 0-4. Heck, only two are even 0-3.

So yeah, not a letdown. Just more of the same.

That is depressing. #1 with a bullet in playoff futility. Of course, it's Mike Brown's "patience" that makes it possible.

Dave Shula was the fastest to 50 losses because Mike refused to fire him.

Bruce Coslet went 7-28 in his last 3 seasons and had to step down because Mike wouldn't make a move.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Letdown simple definition on Merriam-Webster: "something that is not as good as it was expected to be"

Not sure how it could be a letdown when Marvin Lewis was and is still the HC. I never expected him to be good. He's the worst postseason coach in NFL history. Jim Mora is 0-6, but he had to do it on two different teams because nobody else would settle for that shit. No other coach is even 0-4. Heck, only two are even 0-3.

So yeah, not a letdown. Just more of the same.

Are these one of those records that will be un-breakable? 

Do you think any other coach in the next 50 years will go 0-7 in the playoffs as a head coach?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That is depressing. #1 with a bullet in playoff futility. Of course, it's Mike Brown's "patience" that makes it possible.

Dave Shula was the fastest to 50 losses because Mike refused to fire him.

Bruce Coslet went 7-28 in his last 3 seasons and had to step down because Mike wouldn't make a move.

That's the one downside to a salary cap/revenue sharing. Sure that way you don't get the Dodgers/Yankees of MLB, but you do get less incentive to actually win.

No matter the record or coach, every year this is Mike Brown:

[Image: tumblr_mlcjmyszR71qjeigjo1_500.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:46 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Are these one of those records that will be un-breakable? 

Do you think any other coach in the next 50 years will go 0-7 in the playoffs as a head coach?

Almost zero chance. If Mike Brown were immortal, I would say yes, by whoever takes over after Marvin Lewis is forced to stop being HC due to dying of old age. But Brown will have to hand off control of the franchise soon, so no. Nobody will ever go 0-7 in the playoffs again.

I'll put Marvin's postseason failures up with Barry Bond's IBB record as among the unbreakables.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Praise for a comeback only comes if you win. It doesn't come if you only score 16 on the 30th ranked pass defense.

It's Marvin's fault to the degree that it'll always be a 0-7 coach's fault. Four different QBs have played under Marvin in the postseason and all of them have performed pretty much the same. If you go from 0-6 to 0-7, nobody is going to praise you for trying harder than you did previously. You're still a turd in that situation.

"Congrats, you're the sole heir for the title of worst coach in NFL postseason history. But you tried hard. Hurray, go you!"

And I'll say it again... Had we won no one would be giving Marvin any credit.  It would go to McCarron or Burfict or Hue or Paulie G, but not Marvin.  It's true that the man is a postseason failure, the prime example, in fact.  It doesn't change the fact that many people on here have a double standard when it comes to winning and losing.

You know, AJ Green is 0-5 in the playoffs.  Is he a turd or a pro bowl WR?  Whitworth is 0-6.  Is he a turd or an All-Pro LT?  Is it possible to be both a success and a failure?  Just food for thought.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Almost zero chance. If Mike Brown were immortal, I would say yes, by whoever takes over after Marvin Lewis is forced to stop being HC due to dying of old age. But Brown will have to hand off control of the franchise soon, so no. Nobody will ever go 0-7 in the playoffs again.

I'll put Marvin's postseason failures up with Barry Bond's IBB record as among the unbreakables.

I was gonna go with Call Ripkens consecutive games started type probability lol 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 01:59 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: Because we've been told time and time again all season how the Bengals have the best roster in the NFL.  Teams with the best roster in football don't get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round on a consistent basis.

I don't know where people get that we have the best roster in the league.

Look at the 100 top players in the league voted on my the players.

Look at the Pro Bowl teams voted on by the fans.

Look at the All Pro teams voted on by the media.

Look at the Vegas oddsmakers who have made us underdogs in 4 of the last 5 playoff games.

We have a very good roster.  But I am not buying that we have the most talent in the league.  I think it is good enough to win a playoff game.  Hell, it took a miracle for the Steelers to beat us with our back up QB.

And if past record controlled the future then the Sainst would never have won a Super Bowl and the Cards would never have made oit to a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's really not hard to understand when you use context. The primary goal of all 32 teams is to win a championship. If your team isn't winning championships, you at least want to see progress toward that goal. This team has won 4 division titles and made 7 playoff trips since 2005, yet has never progressed past the WC round. There is no progress. It feels like wasted talent and opportunities. This team is so talented that anything less than playoff win(s) will be viewed as failure. Not only by Bengals fans, but by our coaches, players and the local and national media.

Do you really view this season as a success? If so, you must put more emphasis on the regular season and almost no emphasis on the post season.

This is silly and you don't honestly believe this. You're saying it out of frustration. This fan base would've been on cloud nine if we'd won on Saturday. If we won a Super Bowl, it'd cure a lot of frustration for a long time. I have no doubt about that.

I agree with you.  The season is not a failure, but is also not a success.  With greater accomplishment comes greater expectations.  My level of excitement was tempered after the Dalton injury, but losing the playoff game in the fashion they did really stung... and it is going to sting for quite some time.

I will tell you this.  I became a fan of the team in the late 1980's (first live game was Super Bowl XXIII).  So the three best Bengal teams I have seen all ended their season in some form of "tragedy".  The Stanley Wilson Super Bowl debacle, Palmer going down in 2005, and Andy being hurt this year.  Really sucks!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:53 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: And I'll say it again... Had we won no one would be giving Marvin any credit.  It would go to McCarron or Burfict or Hue or Paulie G, but not Marvin.  It's true that the man is a postseason failure, the prime example, in fact.  It doesn't change the fact that many people on here have a double standard when it comes to winning and losing.

You know, AJ Green is 0-5 in the playoffs.  Is he a turd or a pro bowl WR?  Whitworth is 0-6.  Is he a turd or an All-Pro LT?  Is it possible to be both a success and a failure?  Just food for thought.

That's not food for thought at all. Records don't apply to WR, OT, and positions other than HC, Owner, and QB. Everyone knows that.

Did you know that this year marks only the 2nd time in his 12 year career that Steven Jackson has been to the playoffs? The first time was his rookie season. Steven Jackson went 10 years without going to the playoffs. Didn't stop him from making 8 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards on absolutely atrocious teams. If he were on better teams, he would likely have gone down as among the best of all time.

AJ's job: Catch the ball.
Whit's job: Block
Marvin's job: Win

That's where your "food for thought" turns out to be little more than cotton candy. Fake food and empty calories.

- - - - -
...Also AJ Green is 0-4 in the playoffs. He wasn't there for 2014.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:46 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Are these one of those records that will be un-breakable? 

The sad thing is the record is still going.  I have no doubt Marv can go 0-8 or maybe even 0-9 before hanging it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's not food for thought at all. Records don't apply to WR, OT, and positions other than HC, Owner, and QB. Everyone knows that.

Did you know that this year marks only the 2nd time in his 12 year career that Steven Jackson has been to the playoffs? The first time was his rookie season. Steven Jackson went 10 years without going to the playoffs. Didn't stop him from making 8 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards on absolutely atrocious teams. If he were on better teams, he would likely have gone down as among the best of all time.

AJ's job: Catch the ball.
Whit's job: Block
Marvin's job: Win

That's where your "food for thought" turns out to be little more than cotton candy. Fake food and empty calories.

- - - - -
...Also AJ Green is 0-4 in the playoffs. He wasn't there for 2014.

1. Food for thought is any comment that makes someone else think, which you clearly have done here in responding.  Everyone knows that.

2. You still haven't addressed my point that Marvin would not have gotten credit for a win last Saturday, but whatever, I can see you never will.

3. I was also under the impression that it was a team game with all parties involved (including HC, WR, and OL) being a part of the team.  I guess I'm wrong.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 09:43 AM)hitchopottimus Wrote: What a horrible 12-5! Division championship, division schmanshionship. I'll never understand how one game can completely ruin a really good season.

I have 2 AFC North Division Championship shirts that I'm embarrassed to even wear because both time The Steelers beat them in the postseason.  Seriously.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know where people get that we have the best roster in the league.

Look at the 100 top players in the league voted on my the players.

Look at the Pro Bowl teams voted on by the fans.

Look at the All Pro teams voted on by the media.

Look at the Vegas oddsmakers who have made us underdogs in 4 of the last 5 playoff games.

We have a very good roster.  But I am not buying that we have the most talent in the league.  I think it is good enough to win a playoff game.  Hell, it took a miracle for the Steelers to beat us with our back up QB.

And if past record controlled the future then the Sainst would never have won a Super Bowl and the Cards would never have made oit to a Super Bowl.

I heard it multiple times on national shows or national guys talking to Mo Egger; the Bengals have the best, deepest roster in the league.  If the roster is good, the team is lacking someplace else and everybody knows where that is.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:27 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: I heard it multiple times on national shows or national guys talking to Mo Egger; the Bengals have the best, deepest roster in the league.  If the roster is good, the team is lacking someplace else and everybody knows where that is.

I have heard a lot of different opinions.  That is why I look at other sources to see which ones might be correct.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:19 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: 1. Food for thought is any comment that makes someone else think, which you clearly have done here in responding.  Everyone knows that.

2. You still haven't addressed my point that Marvin would not have gotten credit for a win last Saturday, but whatever, I can see you never will.

3. I was also under the impression that it was a team game with all parties involved (including HC, WR, and OL) being a part of the team.  I guess I'm wrong.

It is a team game, but the Head Coach and quarterback are the two who get credit for wins and losses.  You may not agree with it, but everyone knows that is the case.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's not food for thought at all. Records don't apply to WR, OT, and positions other than HC, Owner, and QB. Everyone knows that.

Yeah, right.  That explains why Lynn Swann made it into the Hall of Fame by averaging 37 catches for 9 seasons and never having a single season with even 900 receiving yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have heard a lot of different opinions.  That is why I look at other sources to see which ones might be correct.

Like fan votes and Vegas odds?

Maybe I wasn't clear, more likely you just want to be difficult, but I've heard and read a ton of shit from a lot of national sources.  Want power rankings?  Want opinions from supposed experts?  Want to take into consideration the Bengals 12-4 regular season record?  This team should be winning playoff games, not shitting the bed...again.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:39 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: Like fan votes and Vegas odds?

And players votes and media votes.

Yes.  All of those.

Your claim the the opinion is unanimous is just false.
Reply/Quote
Did I want a better end result? Of course we all did. Was the season a let down? Hell no. I had a blast cheering on the Bengals. The way this team came out and dominated the Raiders in week 1 was great and showed me they were ready to contend. The heart they showed in Baltimore. The throw Andy made to AJ to get the lead back with an 80 yard TD showed me Andy was different this year. The comeback vs. Seattle. The win in Pitt was awesome. Being able to go to the game in Arizona was fantastic. Even in a loss I new I was watching Marvin's most talented team and one of the best Bengals teams I have seen. Being at the final game of the season with my son, his first live Bengals game, and my dad. 3 Generations of Bengals fans. That moment overshadows any loss and reminds me its a game and the memories I get with friends and family is what matters.

Tyler Eiffert coming to the stage, Carlos Dunlap upping his game once more. Andy effing Dalton balling out. It was a fun season that unfortunately it ended on a sour note. However the season on a whole was a blast.
Reply/Quote