Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This team is unreal
(10-24-2021, 09:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not gonna look good...

Offensive Line

The Bengals had a mediocre day in pass protection, posting a 58.1 pass-blocking unit grade. They allowed 14 pressures on 39 pass-blocking snaps and one sack. The group was slightly worse in run blocking with a 53.5 run-blocking grade. Tackle Jonah Williams led Cincy in snaps with 63, but he also posted the line’s worst pass-blocking grade (41.1), giving up the team’s lone sack and four QB hits.

I'm surprised, a little, but then I remember that they don't take the opponent in to account, nor can they probably know who's assignment is who's when facing a 10 man box.  That actually happened once.  

Overall, though, especially inside (did I just say that?) it looked to the first time eye that they created a pocket where Joe could step up.  The initial onslaught was overpowering at first, but they can't keep up that pace and we all saw how they wore down (the defense).

I think overall they did a very solid job protecting Joe and opening holes for the run game. 

I won't kill the offensive line when the running back is running directly in to a pile of 9 defenders.  Luckily, I only saw them do that once, not including the dumb QB sneak.  The counter play they ran later worked VERY well.  That's great to see. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: In John Madden's voice

"Here's a guy who puts too much faith in a worthless metric."

I thought it was Collinsworth that always said "Here's a guy".  If you are going to try to insult me, at least get the reference right.

Ok, for the 1,000,000th time.  PFF is not the be-all and end-all.  It does not take in to account the opponent that is faced.  It is subjective.  Kyle Van Noy always laughed at PFF because they said they never knew his assignments.

BUT, what it does offer, is a fairly consistent basis to judge an individual's development/improvement.  I saw Carman mauling some guys today and I would like to see the scores to compare to how he has performed in other games against lesser talent.  

Are we clear?  
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Hopkins had 2 GREAT blocks today resulting in 2 TD's, one for Mixon and one to seal the game for Perine.

Not a time to talk bad about Trey Hop. Mellow

Like we have said about the defense being built to win in this division, the offensive line has to be built to handle the AFC North, where there are really strong ends and tackles.  Thus far, they have done very well.  2-0.  
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: TE? Tongue

No, but in all seriousness I do like our depth at OL better than what’s behind Uzomah…

The OL is still certainly a work in progress though. What’s nice is if we can re-sign Spain and Reiff we won’t be in a position where we have to go OL early in the draft. Now, if there’s guys they like, and they’re the BPA on their board when we pick, then by all means pull the trigger.

Hopkins was better today, but I still want a stud Center for the future. And as much as I like big D’Ante Smith we shouldn’t bank on a 4th rounder that’s never played a snap in the regular season to be penciled in as our next RT.

Agreed.  Spain has been a real gem, and I think Carman is coming on strong.  Without having an injury, it would be nice to get Smith some action (like he could have played some yesterday?) to better evaluate him.  Then again, he could have a bit of the Waynes in him, with odd injuries always cropping up preventing him from playing.  

It has been nice to get Hill some action.  

I haven't seen how he has done in pass protection, as he is almost always just in as the extra OT in a run play, but Isiah Prince has been the highest rated run blocker on the team.  

Adeniji was supposedly in amazing shape and showing his quickness (underrated when talking OTs) before his unfortunate injury.  Now he has been cleared to practice and could get some looks before year's end.  

All this, but yes, absolutely, you have to add more.  Competition improves the breed, and if you ever have too many (not likely) you can probably get a shit-ton on a trade.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I don’t care what the PFF grades are, that’s impressive ^

Good stuff, Nicomo.  

I am fairly new to twitter, but it blew up last night after the win.  There was some hilarious things. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1452361849027039235

[Image: FCgDIAgXoAIyj1d?format=png&name=900x900]

[Image: FCgNB6sWEAQ-kMw?format=jpg&name=900x900]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm surprised, a little, but then I remember that they don't take the opponent in to account, nor can they probably know who's assignment is who's when facing a 10 man box.  That actually happened once.  

Overall, though, especially inside (did I just say that?) it looked to the first time eye that they created a pocket where Joe could step up.  The initial onslaught was overpowering at first, but they can't keep up that pace and we all saw how they wore down (the defense).

I think overall they did a very solid job protecting Joe and opening holes for the run game. 

I won't kill the offensive line when the running back is running directly in to a pile of 9 defenders.  Luckily, I only saw them do that once, not including the dumb QB sneak.  The counter play they ran later worked VERY well.  That's great to see. 

I think the O-line interior passed the eye test in pass blocking this game. I also think Carman is getting better every game. He always has a couple of high ceiling plays like when he mauled his guy on one of the late TD runs.
Reply/Quote
We totally have to appreciate that Burrow is able to have poise and on field success as a young QB. It's not the norm that rookie and young QBs immediately have success. Even before his injury last year, he was playing better than most rookie QBs do. He seems light years ahead of Tua, Lawrence, Wilson, & Fields (and fellow first rounder Jordan Love who doesn't play). I'm also glad we have Burrow over Herbert, who is also successful. I think Burrow's intelligence and poise will show he's the better of the two in the long run.

Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
I went to the game yesterday, drove up from North Carolina. We went hoping for at least a close game. It was for a while, so we were feeling good early in the second half. Then the lid got blown off.

There were several takeaways about being there and about their fans around us.

*Their fans were constantly talking s#@* about their players especially Marlon Humphrey. Even the better teams make their fans miserable.
*I heard so many fans talking about Joe Burrow and how good he is. He made it look almost effortless. Nice to hear.
*Their fans weren't so bad. I must have had 10 or so stop when the went by us and said "Your team is really good, they whooped us". We went expecting to be jumped on since we were Bengals fans and they were actually pretty cool.
* It was nice going to an away game and getting out of there with a win.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff, Nicomo.  

I am fairly new to twitter, but it blew up last night after the win.  There was some hilarious things. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1452361849027039235

[Image: FCgDIAgXoAIyj1d?format=png&name=900x900]

[Image: FCgNB6sWEAQ-kMw?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Those are hilarious. Villanueva was a TE here, during his time in Pissburgh he got HUGE. Can anyone say PEDs....
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I don’t care what the PFF grades are, that’s impressive ^

Lou was brilliant with when he blitzed.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 09:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lou was brilliant with when he blitzed.

Yes, Lou had a good feel for the game. Trent Green was blah blah blah'ing about the Ravens blitzing more often as if they were superior. It was nice when Lou turned it on at the right moment. Lamar had his stats, but the Bengals mostly contained him from having big, explosive play after play.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 09:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lou was brilliant with when he blitzed.

So was Burrow when Baltimore did. He was moving around and avoiding rushers like his old self.

Reply/Quote
I don't know if it was mentioned previously, but each of the two losses we have were by only a field goal.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 10:10 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I don't know if it was mentioned previously, but each of the two losses we have were by only a field goal.

Yep, the PBS winds kept us from knocking off the Packers.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 10:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So was Burrow when Baltimore did. He was moving around and avoiding rushers like his old self.

Keyshawn, JWill, and Max show on ESPN radio was discussing Burrow's pocket presence with Dan O this morning. They mentioned how Burrow was moving around. It was nice to hear because they were gushing how he's intelligent and poised. It was fun to hear compliments about the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I thought it was Collinsworth that always said "Here's a guy".  If you are going to try to insult me, at least get the reference right.

Ok, for the 1,000,000th time.  PFF is not the be-all and end-all.  It does not take in to account the opponent that is faced.  It is subjective.  Kyle Van Noy always laughed at PFF because they said they never knew his assignments.

BUT, what it does offer, is a fairly consistent basis to judge an individual's development/improvement.  I saw Carman mauling some guys today and I would like to see the scores to compare to how he has performed in other games against lesser talent.  

Are we clear?  

Here's a guy (It's Madden not Collinworth; there has even been a Madden (game) Achievement called "Now here's a guy....)) who just proved my point.  

Why are you taking it personally?  

lol  It's PFF that sucks, not you.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 07:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Are we clear?  

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 10:30 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Keyshawn, JWill, and Max show on ESPN radio was discussing Burrow's pocket presence with Dan O this morning. They mentioned how Burrow was moving around. It was nice to hear because they were gushing how he's intelligent and poised. It was fun to hear compliments about the Bengals.

Then Keyshawn was showing his ignorance again
And saying the Bengals should have still drafted Sewell. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Then Keyshawn was showing his ignorance again

They kept saying we should have drafted the Left Tackle.

Guess they forgot about Jonah Williams.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Then Keyshawn was showing his ignorance again

Yeah, he locks in on an opinion and sticks with. He'll always doubt the Bengals. Max is all in on Burrow. 
Reply/Quote